selling my 5 spot frame w/push rockers, have RFX questions...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

selling my 5 spot frame w/push rockers, have RFX questions...

I want to replace my '04 5 spot (it has push rockers and a fox dhx 5.0 coil shock w/ ti spring) with an RFX or 6 pack. I was wondering... how much travel does the 6 pack have exactly? I am drawn to the RFX because of the 6.4" of travel, but if the 6 pack only has 6 inches, I think I'll only keep my eye on the RFX...

My goal is to get a new longer travel fork and frame combo than my existing 5.75" pushed 5 spot (it has a 150mm fox talas 36RC2). I have been stumbling across a bunch of '06 RFX frames and I was wondering if there is any difference in travel between the '06 and '07 RFX? I am looking to go for a used RFX or 6 pack (if the travel is adequate).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    07/08 6.4" travel
    06 6" travel.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    yep. but it doesnt stop with the amount of travel, theres a big diff in the quality of travel. the newer bike has a much lower leverage ratio for a much more controlled feel throughout the range. its been accuratly refered to as "almost bottomless". it also sets up better and easier through the rider weight range. its also a bit lighter, 1/2 lb sans shock. a bit shorter in the t/t for a more flickable bike without feelin cramped or scetchy.

its very trailable and stuntable but may be better suited to a sub 200 lb rider if theyre super aggressive on 6' to flat jumps. at 165 i, do longer rides, jump med sized stuff and dhownhill race on mine as well as ride it as a xc rig. 2 years old and runnin without a single issue. i think its the better choice when compared to the pre '07's.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Err, I don't notice my new front-end+rockers RFX to be "more plush" or have "better suspension" than my 6 pack. My 6 pack always had a coil shock, this rfx has an RP23 (for now). The 6 pack suspension was way better, end of story, or maybe the moral of the story is that .4" of travel and a very slightly different leverage ratio doesn't make nearly as much difference as having a good shock on something that is pretty darn similiar to start with.

The only real reason to get a newer RFX is the fact that it's newer. If you have a serious problem with the ratio on the 6pack (like say you're really heavy) it ain't going to be that much better with the newer RFX, it's like 3:1 vs 2.84:1 which isn't much.

The travel is plenty adequate on the 6pack, all the moreso with a good quality coil shock, moreso if you get it pushed, moreso if you get a CCDB or avalanche. 6pack with avalanche or CCDB is going to kill the heck out of a RFX that doesn't have one. The 6 pack does fine with the same forks you put on an RFX. A 180mm fork is getting pretty long for both bikes and I wouldn't suggest that.
    Last edited by Jayem; 08-07-2008 at 08:24 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    What size is the 5 Spot? Wanna sell it? (the frame it is)

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Err, I don't notice my new front-end+rockers RFX to be "more plush" or have "better suspension" than my 6 pack.
    I don't doubt you, but you're on a R-Franken-X, not an '08. I doubt your bike is really indicative of how the current stock RFX rides, despite having some of the same parts.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I don't doubt you, but you're on a R-Franken-X, not an '08. I doubt your bike is really indicative of how the current stock RFX rides, despite having some of the same parts.
    True, but I also doubt the minimal changes to travel and ratio are going to make nearly as big a difference as a good shock. The 6 pack is no slouch, despite the fact that lots of people have suffered from upgradeitis all this time, not to say that a rfx isn't a good bike, and better for certain things, but it's also not radically different.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2005

it's a Medium

My frame is a medium, I am actually looking to try to get a Large RFX w/ a short stem. right now, the medium is a little too cramped and i have to run too long of a stem which puts me too far over the bars on really crazy downhills... do you have a Large RFX you want to get rid of?

Team Blindspot
    True, but I also doubt the minimal changes to travel and ratio are going to make nearly as big a difference as a good shock. The 6 pack is no slouch, despite the fact that lots of people have suffered from upgradeitis all this time, not to say that a rfx isn't a good bike, and better for certain things, but it's also not radically different.

Oh, yes it will. I have a spot with Push rockers and a Pushed Pike. I also had a 6 pack and now have an 07 RFX. And the Rock Garden that I usually ride is fine with the spot, but seems almost like a bike trail with the 07 RFX, it is sooo much smoother than the spot. I would put the 6 pack/prev. gen RFX in the category of a burlier spot with similar ride characteristics. The 07 RFX is a whole different animal.

Over the last six months, I have ridden the spot exclusively because Darren had my Lyric working on the "square dancing" cartridge. (he wasn't working on it the whole time, it was just sitting in his office as he attended to more important stuff, but I digress). During this time I was wondering why I had an RFX cuz the spot was doing everything I could throw at it. Well, get my Lyric back two weeks ago, been riding the RFX on the same trails. Night and Day. The RFX is smoother and yes, the travel feels bottomless. The geometry is different enough to inspire confidence in the rough stuff vs. the spot, which will ride the rough, just takes a bit more attention to do it.

So the spot is my "short travel" XC bike, that will handle the rough stuff, and the RFX is my go anywhere, handle anything bike.

Boulder biker, I'm in Longmont, if you want to check out the RFX, let me know.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Boulder I have a large white 6pack I'm thinking of selling.
    The bike has very little use and the frame has been protected well. I may be willing to part it out or would consider selling the entire package if the price is right. As a complete package it comes with:

-Brand new 07 Float36 r fork (upgraded this season and ridden once)
    -Brand new Wheels (upgraded this season (DT EX 5.1 mounted to Green King hubs)
    -XT Brakes
    -King Headset
    -Thomson post and stem
    -Answer Pro Taper Bars
    -XT derailers
    -Terry Butterfly Saddle (Prob needs a new saddle)
    - XT Cranks
    -DHX Coil

I can get pics if you’re interested but the bike is in awesome condition.

PM me if you want to learn more.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey thanks for the advice... I was looking at possibly getting a 6 pack based on some of the other feedback, but it sounds like what I am really looking for is an '07 or later RFX... I really like my 5 spot w/ the push rockers' 5.75" of travel, but I am looking for something a bit more plush and aggressive w/ more travel. I wish I could find an RFX w/in my price range or trade right now, but I guess I'll just have to wait until after grad school.

The rock garden you speak of... would that be the good old section through Hall Ranch? Man I miss that ride! I'm down in Austin, TX at UT for Architecture grad school these days, I will be back in about a week for a lot of riding though, maybe i'll get in touch and I can check out your RFX... There is a ride here - city park, that gives Hall Ranch a serious run for it's money! way more drops, rockier throughout the whole ride, but not as extended downhills unfortunately...

Roy
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Biker
    I really like my 5 spot w/ the push rockers' 5.75" of travel, but I am looking for something a bit more plush and aggressive w/ more travel.
    I have a 5 Spot like yours with the Push rockers and a Push'd RP3. I have a 6-Pack with a Push'd DHX 5.0. The 6-Pack is more plush and aggressive but it's components are quite different as well. In addition you have the ability to convert it into a 7Pack.

mtbr member
    May 2005

I have a couple more questions for everyone...

So, I found this frame:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=23287

It is a 6-pack, doesn't say the year, but he is claiming it has 6.2" of travel? Is this accurate? I thought it only has 6 inches?

here is an '06 RFX:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...=23376&cat=all

So the '06 RFX only has 6 inches of travel? This RFX is in pristine condition!

which of these two frames would perform better, considering they both have the same shock setup? is the difference in the way the 6 pack and the RFX feel that different?

Final question... Is it possible to use the same rear shock from my 5 spot on an RFX or a 6 pack? I really like my DHX 5.0 w/ the ti spring, or maybe i could get away w/ using the spring on a new shock on those frames?

Thanks!

Roy
    mtbr member
    PM Tscheez any questions on the first one, but if he says it's 6.2", I can assure you that he would have measured it 5 different ways to confirm that. See if you can get him to take off the flames before shipping to you, though.

I think the only diff between '05 and '06 was the name change and TNT.

The pre-07 Spots and Packs/RFX's had the same E2E, so yes you can use the same shock. You'll need a different spring rate, though, between the 2 bikes.

Outcast
    So, I found this frame:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=23287

It is a 6-pack, doesn't say the year, but he is claiming it has 6.2" of travel? Is this accurate? I thought it only has 6 inches?

here is an '06 RFX:

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...=23376&cat=all

So the '06 RFX only has 6 inches of travel? This RFX is in pristine condition!

which of these two frames would perform better, considering they both have the same shock setup? is the difference in the way the 6 pack and the RFX feel that different?

Final question... Is it possible to use the same rear shock from my 5 spot on an RFX or a 6 pack? I really like my DHX 5.0 w/ the ti spring, or maybe i could get away w/ using the spring on a new shock on those frames?

Thanks!
    The first bike [tscheezy's] was purchased after 2005 Interbike. The second one [ventanarama's] is a little newer. Your 5-spot shock is the same size as the shocks used by both of those bikes. IMO, the dhx-air is not a good shock, so using you current shock, or getting tscheezy's coil shock if you bought his frame, is a better option. The leverage ratio dictated by the longer travel/rockers on these bikes will most likely mean that you will need a heavier spring.

I am guessing that the reason tscheezy is selling his with the CK steel set is that those are a pain in the butt to remove, so if you were looking to use a different headset, you have a job in front of you.
    Don't get hung up on any travel claims; 6.0, 6.2; you are not going to notice any difference between these two bikes in terms of travel. Having a high quality shock will make ALL the difference. As previous posters have allready stated, the 07/08 RFX with the longer stroke shock is a different animal; you can get close to that same feeling by buying another shock [ccdb, avy], or getting your dhx Pushed, etc.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I always thought 6 Pack got 6.2in of travel. Either way, 3% one way or another doesn't make much difference.

_MK

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    I always thought 6 Pack got 6.2in of travel. Either way, 3% one way or another doesn't make much difference.

_MK
    It does in Turnersworthia.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Oh, yes it will. I have a spot with Push rockers and a Pushed Pike. I also had a 6 pack and now have an 07 RFX. And the Rock Garden that I usually ride is fine with the spot, but seems almost like a bike trail with the 07 RFX, it is sooo much smoother than the spot. I would put the 6 pack/prev. gen RFX in the category of a burlier spot with similar ride characteristics. The 07 RFX is a whole different animal.

Over the last six months, I have ridden the spot exclusively because Darren had my Lyric working on the "square dancing" cartridge. (he wasn't working on it the whole time, it was just sitting in his office as he attended to more important stuff, but I digress). During this time I was wondering why I had an RFX cuz the spot was doing everything I could throw at it. Well, get my Lyric back two weeks ago, been riding the RFX on the same trails. Night and Day. The RFX is smoother and yes, the travel feels bottomless. The geometry is different enough to inspire confidence in the rough stuff vs. the spot, which will ride the rough, just takes a bit more attention to do it.

So the spot is my "short travel" XC bike, that will handle the rough stuff, and the RFX is my go anywhere, handle anything bike.

Boulder biker, I'm in Longmont, if you want to check out the RFX, let me know.
    What kind of fork and shock were on the 6 pack? The 6 pack is/was a more agressive frame than the later RFX, not that the RFX is any slouch. Lots of people built them up with a talas and RP23 or DHX air, but it's a different animal with a DHX and a 66 (170mm) or similer fork up front. Less than .4" of travel difference and only a very slight ratio change, there's no way it amounts to anything significant.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How is the 6 pack a more aggressive frame? I thought everyone was saying that the newer RFX is a more burly plusher frame that isn't as harsh of a ride and feels like it has bottomless travel?

MK_
    carpe mañana
    How is the 6 pack a more aggressive frame? I thought everyone was saying that the newer RFX is a more burly plusher frame that isn't as harsh of a ride and feels like it has bottomless travel?
    There is a pound (give or take a few ounces) of less metal in the new RFX.

_MK

mtbr member
    May 2005
    does that make it less aggressive of a bike?

I want a bike w/ a noticeable difference in the increased amount of travel between my 5.75" 5 spot (w/ push rockers) which i seem to blow through the travel sometimes. I am just concerned that there won't be that much of a difference between the 6 pack and my current frame, so the new RFX seems to be a better choice i guess... The fact that it is almost a pound lighter is an added bonus for me since i like to hammer the uphills too. Does that mean it is less stiff of a ride? And don't get me wrong, I am a very aggressive rider and love to ride everything from gureling colorado singletrack to ledgy drop offs, moab, and blast downhill sections as hard as possible... How does the geometry of the 6 pack and RFX compare "aggressive" wise?

FM
    mtbr member
    This is a crappy myth some 6-pack homers are pushing to prop up their sagging resale value. The idea being, a heavier frame is somehow better suited to FR/DH, even if it has a higher BB, longer top tube, taller standover, less travel and more linear suspension.

We'll likely see the same behavior next year when highline owners claim the '09 RFX is "not agressive enough" for true FR/DH.
    Last edited by FM; 08-08-2008 at 02:40 PM.

mtbr member
    There is a pound (give or take a few ounces) of less metal in the new RFX.

_MK
    Amazing that this is still such a grey area after almost two years. "About a pound" is probably a good median figure for all of those that have been thrown out there, but having weighed a large anodized '06 with coil that came in at 8.5 lbs., and a large raw '08 with RP23 that came in at 7, the difference is much closer to half a pound than a full pound for just the frames. Comparing varying paint and shocks options is what clouds the picture and produces some of the outlandish claims.

Since many of the weight saving measures on the '07/'08 did not effect ultimate strength (no ISCG, asym rear, truss-style rockers), a ~.5 lb. reduction in frame weight would not seem to herald a substantial reduction in durability. AFAIK this has largely been born out by those who have actually riden the newer version.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    May 2005
    more linear suspension on the 6 pack? i thought linear suspension was a good thing? or is the RFX more liear?

Basically what it boils down to is that the new RFX is superior to the 6 pack, right?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    This is a crappy myth some 6-pack homers are pushing to prop up their sagging resale value. The idea being, a heavier frame is somehow better suited to FR/DH, even if it has a higher BB, longer top tube, taller standover, less travel and more linear suspension.

We'll likely see the same behavior next year when highline owners claim the '09 RFX is "not agressive enough" for true FR/DH.
    Thing is, the 6pack suspension is not "linear", it's just morso than the RFX. I talked to dave about those two bikes for about an hour a couple weeks back. Once again, are we talking a big difference here? Not to mention lots of people are running air-shocks on them, and that air ramps up pretty well at the end of travel. Somewhat linear is usually good for downhill, overly progressive limits travel and traction. The idea with the 6pack was for a freeride bike though, and freeride bikes don't have super low BBs, and the RFX change wasn't all that much difference. I had a 14.25" BB with my 6pack and a 170mm fork, and what does an RFX come out to with the same size fork? Not much different at all. What dave found was that people wanted their 6packs to be more "all around bikes", so he made the RFX a little better suited to "all around" riding in terms of geometry for climbing and shaved a little weight off.

FM
    mtbr member
    good points Miles E!

more linear suspension on the 6 pack? i thought linear suspension was a good thing? or is the RFX more liear?
    Yes the pack is more linear. Good or bad, depends on your riding style- more linear means the bike will use full travel easier. This is generally good for rough trail riding, but not so hot for jumps and drops which may cause it to bottom out.

One of the first things I noticed on my '08 was that the suspension seemed to stiffen up a lot in the last inch. This is "progressive"- as a result it's hard to bottom out, and when it does I never feel or hear it, hence the "bottomless" description.

Time marches on and the frames get a little better every year, I'm sure the '09's will be no exception. I am really happy with my '08 though!

Elitest thrill junkie

Basically what it boils down to is that the new RFX is superior to the 6 pack, right?
    The RFX has a more upright climbing position from what Dave said, the front triangle is a little less beefy than the 6pack, the travel is nearly identical obviously, the ratio is nearly identical, the 6pack (horst) might tend to keep the rear end a little higher during braking compared to the RFX that will squat a little more, you get a geometry benefit with squatting possibly, but a slight loss of traction. There's the asym stays on the RFX that shave even more weight, and of course the BB on the entire thing is ever so slightly lower, and by slight I mean that I was getting a 14.25 height with a pretty big fork, and supposedly the RFX gives you 14.1, so wow, not a big difference. I think the point here (again) is that you can't argue one is more or less superior for DH and freeride, only that the RFX is more refined in terms of weight and a little less beefy. Running a really nice shock on either will result in a better ride than running something like an RP23, and it becomes more about the build than the exact frame. The RFX is newer, and that's always good.

Roy
    mtbr member
    I want a bike w/ a noticeable difference in the increased amount of travel between my 5.75" 5 spot (w/ push rockers) which i seem to blow through the travel sometimes.
    Is your shock Push'd?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    no, but i plan on PUSHing it in the future if i hold onto the shock.

Elitest thrill junkie
    That might be why it tends to "blow through the travel" to some extent. Put a good controlled shock on there (like an avalanche ) and you can have your cake and eat it too, to a large extent. The increased damping control will help to alleviate that.

Anyway, the point is that the geometry and beefieness of the 6pack make it a far different animal than your spot, you need to think about more than just the travel difference, the 6pack was a pretty stout frame that was intended for freeride and all mountain stuff, the newer lighter RFX is intended for similer riding, but many have agreed that it's a little "less" freeride than before. Whether or that that is true, the point is that the 6pack and RFX are going to do well for the same types of riding, far better than your spot. If it was me I'd probably go with the newer bike, just to have a newer bike, but rest assured there is a big difference between your spot and the 6pack.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Amazing that this is still such a grey area after almost two years. "About a pound" is probably a good median figure for all of those that have been thrown out there, but having weighed a large anodized '06 with coil that came in at 8.5 lbs., and a large raw '08 with RP23 that came in at 7, the difference is much closer to half a pound than a full pound for just the frames. Comparing varying paint and shocks options is what clouds the picture and produces some of the outlandish claims.
    I don't think your response brings us any closer to shedding light on the gray area; given the variable of an unknown coil shock with a an unknown spring of unknown rate.

Either way, the 6 Pack has more metal in it, aside of a few grams in the ISCG and the symmetric rear end (which is probably somewhat offset by the burlier rocker, or is that a tad lighter, too?), and that makes the frame more durable. It is a weight penalty, absolutely. I personally like the longer TT; a lot. I also like the ability to adjust some aspects of the geometry, albeit in a limited fashion, by morphing it with 5 Spot elements of the same vintage. For example, I run a 5 Spot rear end. My BB sits lower than the 08. The 08 already shares the chassis with the 5 Spot.

Lower leverage ratio is welcome in the new frame, but the geometry and overall construction makes it more of a 5 Spot LT than the 6 Pack was, in my mind. In fact, the 6 Pack it is so different, I hated it the first time I bought it and promptly sold it. Only after riding an older RFX and later a Covert did I understand the value of the longer TT and picked up another 6 Pack.

Either way, all these differences are small and they are a result of the market demand, as DT pointed out. It would be nice if he designed these frames so that one could ie. order them with a low BB\slack rockers or high BB\steep rocker, or preferred rear ends etc. But the economy if it is that he probably can't.

_MK

FM
    mtbr member
    The idea with the 6pack was for a freeride bike though, and freeride bikes don't have super low BBs, and the RFX change wasn't all that much difference. I had a 14.25" BB with my 6pack and a 170mm fork, and what does an RFX come out to with the same size fork? Not much different at all.
    "Freeride" has totally changed and the bikes have changed with it though.

Here, FR used to be skinnies, log rides, natural rock, drops to flat, slow & tech. Higher BB's made sense as most of the TFT's were natural and you had to get your bike up &over a lot of things.
    Now, FR here means groomed man-made trails with berms, jumps, higher speeds, bigger air and transitions for everything. Lower BB's are a huge bonus for this kind of riding, thats why so many bottlerocket fans. We'll probably see BB's continue to drop as more man-made flow-style trails get built.

I agree that we are talking about a lot of small differences, but they do add up. A little lower BB, plus a little more travel with a little more sag and a little lower leverage ratio, that's 4 small changes that make a bike ride and feel lower than one number on the internet might suggest.

Anyway you slice it, the differences in top tube length and standover make the '08 more FR- oriented.

regardless, their both great bikes. If you like the idea of saving money, get the 'pack. If you don't care and want the latest design with all improvements, get the '08.

Roy
    mtbr member
    If your main issue is suspension and not geometry or frame strength, then I would highly recommend you get the shock Push'd (or a high end shock as JM mentions) as the difference from a stock DHX is pretty dramatic (they're fairly crappy). You may not want to get off the Spot for a couple more years.

mtbr member
    I don't think your response brings us any closer to shedding light on the gray area; given the variable of an unknown coil shock with a an unknown spring of unknown rate.
    DHX Coil 5.0, 600 lb. spring. I don't think I took the shock off to weigh it, but it should easily be at least a pound heavier than the RP23 (~280 grams). Still not the the most precise comparison I realize, but it tells me the weight difference is well under a pound.

It's also worth noting that Turner claims the new one is 1.5 lbs. lighter, which of course includes the switch to an air shock. Assuming an average spring weight, ~1 lb. is a good rule of thumb for figuring the weight difference between air and coil shocks in this size.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I'd give reason for pause

I want to replace my '04 5 spot (it has push rockers and a fox dhx 5.0 coil shock w/ ti spring) with an RFX or 6 pack. I was wondering... how much travel does the 6 pack have exactly? I am drawn to the RFX because of the 6.4" of travel, but if the 6 pack only has 6 inches, I think I'll only keep my eye on the RFX...

My goal is to get a new longer travel fork and frame combo than my existing 5.75" pushed 5 spot (it has a 150mm fox talas 36RC2). I have been stumbling across a bunch of '06 RFX frames and I was wondering if there is any difference in travel between the '06 and '07 RFX? I am looking to go for a used RFX or 6 pack (if the travel is adequate).

Thanks!
    I ride a fully pushed front and rear '03 Five Spot with Push rockers; my buddy rides an '06 RFX with a pushed rear DHX. Pretty similar bikes! I'm not sure the upgrade is worth the dough or time and effort. The '07 or newer might be an upgrade? Not sure never ridden one for any distance. The '06 have a rocker problem that is well documentated: they break! Nonetheless, they are great bikes though with a slightly slacker head angle than my Spot. Tough to justify an upgrade except for fun...which may be the best reason. My buddy LOVES his RFX. Who am I to argue because he flies on that bike.

Jaybo

Team Blindspot
    What kind of fork and shock were on the 6 pack? The 6 pack is/was a more agressive frame than the later RFX, not that the RFX is any slouch. Lots of people built them up with a talas and RP23 or DHX air, but it's a different animal with a DHX and a 66 (170mm) or similer fork up front. Less than .4" of travel difference and only a very slight ratio change, there's no way it amounts to anything significant.
    Ran the same Lyrik on both bikes, so the fork is a constant. As is the shock: Pushed DHX.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Team Blindspot
    does that make it less aggressive of a bike?

I want a bike w/ a noticeable difference in the increased amount of travel between my 5.75" 5 spot (w/ push rockers) which i seem to blow through the travel sometimes. I am just concerned that there won't be that much of a difference between the 6 pack and my current frame, so the new RFX seems to be a better choice i guess... The fact that it is almost a pound lighter is an added bonus for me since i like to hammer the uphills too. Does that mean it is less stiff of a ride? And don't get me wrong, I am a very aggressive rider and love to ride everything from gureling colorado singletrack to ledgy drop offs, moab, and blast downhill sections as hard as possible... How does the geometry of the 6 pack and RFX compare "aggressive" wise?
    From my experience with all three bikes, this is an accurate statement. Unless you are getting an 07/08 RFX, you won't be achieving your goal.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    May 2005
    based on the more aggressive geometry, the travel increase, the different leverage ratio, and the more burly frame, I'm fully convinced that switching out my Medium '04 5 spot w/ push rockers for a Large '07 or '08 RFX will without a doubt be a noticable upgrade for my riding style.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Post some picture once you get it built up

based on the more aggressive geometry, the travel increase, the different leverage ratio, and the more burly frame, I'm fully convinced that switching out my Medium '04 5 spot w/ push rockers for a Large '07 or '08 RFX will without a doubt be a noticable upgrade for my riding style.
    You seem to have your mind made up.

Rides like wrecking ball
    If you can get the '07+ at a good price, go for it. If you can find a pre-'07 for a steal (you can) don't hesitate. Either way you'll have a bike that is better IMO than pretty much anything else out there. Only under the microscope of Homer vision are the changes earth-shattering. The reality is they both ride like a Turner!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog
    Only under the microscope of Homer vision are the changes earth-shattering. The reality is they both ride like a Turner!
    true words.

Never underestimate the power of teh intrwebz!

Members who have read this thread: 0