mtbr member

Seems I have three choices... Help, please!

So, the husband just left for work. I might be able to get in a question without him seeing it later tonight.

I had posted in someone elses thread about whether, or not, a DXHAir was a good switch from the RP3 on the 5-spot. Now it looks like there is at least one more choice.

Choice one--Push the RP3. Cheapest, but not really a surprise. He might notice the ride difference with a missing shock from the bike.

Choice two--DHXAir. Seems mixed opinions. Good shock lots of tuneability (which can also be it's drawback).

Choice three--Avalanche. Most expensive (but, hey, it's only the kids' college education, right?) but just started reading about how nice it is.

He's 200lbs and has a motto (although he doesn't actually say it, that would be kind of funny) of "it's only an obstacle if you go around it." So far, his two foot-to-flat test is bottoming out the RP3.

So, 'tis the season. What to do?

Oh, he has the earwax AM1 fork up front, if that plays a factor at all.

crazyhouse

not so super...
    Probably not what you want to hear but my vote would be PUSH the RP3. Tuned to his riding style - a perfect fit

The DHX-A is quite a polarizing shock. Some hate it but I love it. You hubby could be one of the haters which would make the gift suck.

DHX-C - make this option 4. A nice shock as most agree but heavier than the RP3. If the hubby is not a weight weenie this might be the one.

Avy - lots of $$

Bodhisattva
    Well put by SSINGA and I agree completely.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhouse_5
    So, the husband just left for work. I might be able to get in a question without him seeing it later tonight.

I had posted in someone elses thread about whether, or not, a DXHAir was a good switch from the RP3 on the 5-spot. Now it looks like there is at least one more choice.

Choice one--Push the RP3. Cheapest, but not really a surprise. He might notice the ride difference with a missing shock from the bike.

Choice two--DHXAir. Seems mixed opinions. Good shock lots of tuneability (which can also be it's drawback).

Choice three--Avalanche. Most expensive (but, hey, it's only the kids' college education, right?) but just started reading about how nice it is.

He's 200lbs and has a motto (although he doesn't actually say it, that would be kind of funny) of "it's only an obstacle if you go around it." So far, his two foot-to-flat test is bottoming out the RP3.

So, 'tis the season. What to do?

Oh, he has the earwax AM1 fork up front, if that plays a factor at all.

crazyhouse

6-Pack!!

Lay off the Levers
    Hmmm, the only bike related stuff I get from my wife is flack.
    If he's unhappy with your choice, ask him to paint the livingroom next weekend.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Xtremely Moderate
    Hmmmm.
    I how should I put this..........

If my wife secretly bought me an Avy:

I would stick out my tongue, tell her to have a seat and go for a ride.

"Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Well put by SSINGA and I agree completely.
    I agree with SSinGa too. The PUSH'd RP3 is just awesome and the DHX air actually works well on the 5 Spot. I didn't like it much on the 6Pack.

This won't help since you need one for XMas but I would hold off on buying an Avy till next year since they will be offering a new model with separate external High and Low Speed Compression adjustments.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Push it!!

I Pushed my RP3, and I would have to say it's the way to go. Tuning a great shock to specific personal specs without breaking the bank, and Push does a great job keeping their customers happy. Go for it, he'll love it.

mtbr member
    Sounds like the votes are coming in for the Push'd RP3.

I can see it now, "I think we should Push your shock".

One thing leads to another, "Oh, you were talking about the bike"?

How's this, Push the shock now and maybe get the new Avalanche that Scubapro mentioned for a June birthday?

About how long is the turnaround on the Push?

crazyhouse

Bodhisattva
    About how long is the turnaround on the Push?
    3 working days. Maybe less if you pop for expedited shipping. Call & ask for Darren or Christina and they'll give you exact details.

mtbr member

Hmmm,

"3 working days. Maybe less if you pop for expedited shipping."

Maybe, just maybe.

If he could somehow miss one of his Tuesday/Thursday lunch rides. And I could keep him out of the garage... it might just work!

crazyhouse

MK_
    carpe maņana
    You could also get a PUSHed RP3 directly from PUSH and resell the RP3 that's on there after Christmas. I haven't ridden a PUSHed RP3, only a stock one. I rode DHX coil as well. I have DHX air on my 5Spot now and absolutely love how it rides as well as the tunability of it, which the RP3 does not have. The adjustibility of the shock is particularly handy in my application as I keep pushing the envelope with just about every ride and am continuously retuning the shock to my "new riding standards". But as SSinGA said, it is a very polarizing shock and it has so much tunability that your hubby might need to take an evening course in suspension setup to get it working right. He might also set it up in such a way that he hates it. He might be a tinkerer and love it, at the same time. -

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Amphibious Technologies
    How's this, Push the shock now and maybe get the new Avalanche that Scubapro mentioned for a June birthday?
    crazyhouse
    Wow! You're just awesome. I need to introduce you to my wife.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    The Pushed RP3 is a superb shock for the 5 Spot and the possibility of a the Avy in june would be worth waiting for.

Roy
    mtbr member
    Push the shock now and use the money (plenty of it) from the cost of the Avy to get a different frame.

If you're going to go big (we're talking about the bike, right?), might as well go all the way...

Members who have read this thread: 0