Negative Rep Points!!!!

Sea Level Sucks!

While spending Thanksgiving in Alabama on the Gulf coast last week, I had time to reflect on how utterly miserable I would be if I were confined to a life at sea level. We were staying at my sister and brother in-law's place on the beach where Katrina blew through. As you can see some of the places were trashed. And this area was 150 miles east of New Orleans!

We tried to rent some bikes at an LBS but it was a no go. This place would be absolute hell if you're a cyclist. I think the highest elevation here is about 5 - 6 feet.

The homes are on these huge stilts...when the storm surge comes in the whole place is under 10 feet of water. Crazy.

I guess you make do with what you have. I did read an interesting article in Dirt Rag a few months back about Florida MTB'n (Oxymoron?)

Thankfully I live in a place where I can thrash my Turner at 6,000 feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 12-02-2005 at 04:46 PM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    welcome home pal. youve been missed. sorry the place was trashed and the riding was, well it wasnt, but i hope ya had fun. lots goin on since you was gonered. itll be days till yer caught up. hey, the bike(s) are done! go see.
    No, I'm NOT back!

"El Whatever"
    It depends on your "sea level".

I learned MTB'ing at sea level but our sea level (Gulf Coast of Mexico) is rather abrupt. From Veracruz (my hometown) to Xalapa (state's capitol city) there are aprox 60miles and the elevation changes from 0 to 4900ft of elevation.

The terrain is all rolling hills with sand, rocks and everything between. I learned to fight humidity and heat, mud, sand and lots of other riding stuff.

Every place on earth is a good place to ride.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dude, you need to expand your mind. In the first picture I see a killer rooftop drop to staircase tranny. Don't mind the 90 degree right at the bottom.

mtbr member

I'm confused....

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    While spending Thanksgiving in Alabama on the Gulf coast last week, I had time to reflect on how utterly miserable I would be if I were confined to a life at sea level. We were staying at my sister and brother in-law's place on the beach where Katrina blew through. As you can see some of the places were trashed. And this area was 150 miles east of New Orleans!

We tried to rent some bikes at an LBS but it was a no go. This place would be absolute hell if you're a cyclist. I think the highest elevation here is about 5 - 6 feet.

The homes are on these huge stilts...when the storm surge comes in the whole place is under 10 feet of water. Crazy.

I guess you make do with what you have. I did read an interesting article in Dirt Rag a few months back about Florida MTB'n (Oxymoron?)

Call me a hillbilly from Maine, but didn't the gulf coast just get hit with like the worst set of storms in its history? And they are building.............IN THE SAME EXACT PLACE???

What do they have to have happen to them to realize it might not be such a great idea to put houses there?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    Call me a hillbilly from Maine, but didn't the gulf coast just get hit with like the worst set of storms in its history? And they are building.............IN THE SAME EXACT PLACE???

What do they have to have happen to them to realize it might not be such a great idea to put houses there?
    You're right... I kind of agree but where should they go?? They already own the place. How's wanting to buy properties there??

The problem is very complex. Our President stated kind of the same thing once and was terribly bashed, but it's the plain truth. Not what you expect to hear from the President, I agree, but it's true.

Relocation in our present times is not easy. You can say "well, they can move some miles away from the shoreline" but the problem is that the land already has an owner some miles inland and beyond.

Sucky but complex problem.
    Check my Site

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire

Not only that, but czech this out... with the amount of coastline that is disappearing each month, they project that New Orleans will be a walled city, OFF the coast, by the end of this century!!!!! That is IF they decide to rebuild the levees to handle cat 5 hurricanes.

PS Shut it, Dusty!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Surfin' da mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic

Florida n' MTB'n, MMM Good! Utah n' MTB'n, MMM Better!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0