Sag for DW Spot- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Sag for DW Spot

  1. #1
    k3l
    k3l is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24

    Sag for DW Spot

    Hi all,

    I have just became a homer.. owning the DW Spot..

    I would need advise on the amount to PSI i should pump to the get the correct sag..

    I weigh 59kg / 130lbs.. i keep trying to get the correct amount of sag but could not get it..

    Please advise..

    Regards
    K3L

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rku615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    209
    Getting the 17mm sag is based on trial and error. I set mine at 15 mm (fully gear) for a 160 pounder, works well for me. I used to play around with sag for my old SC Blur XC and finally used ~2 mm less than recommended.

    Perhaps you can try various sag amounts and see how it goes on the trails you normally ride on. Don't really need to set at 'exactly' 17mm since total weight will reduce as the water in the camelbak gets lesser through the ride.

    Regards,
    KW

  3. #3
    tardcore
    Reputation: pjlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    821
    The basic setting is subtract 25lbs from your rider weight and use that number for your air pressure. That works pretty well and then you tune from there. The problem with measuring sag is that it's difficult to sit on and dismount without upsetting the bike too much, which makes measuring inconsistent, at least for me.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    943
    check the sag after riding and warming up the shock, it will change to the stiffer side..

  5. #5
    k3l
    k3l is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24
    thanks for all the inputs..

    one thing i dont understand would be why subtract 25lbs is there a certain calculation on using the 25lbs??

    Regards
    Kel

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,612

    calculation

    Put all you riding clothes on, your camelbak your shoes etc and stand on a scale, Ready To Ride minus 25 lbs for the 5 Spot. That is the system that has worked with demos by the hundred for almost a year. This is a great, almost perfect starting point. I suggest you bring a pump on the first couple rides so you can fine tune the chassis feel to your trails and your personality. DW has made it perfectly clear to me that the linkage work he has done on the Turner dw-link bikes is NOT super sensitive to the sag for proper performance. More sag=slacker angles and lower BB, less sag=steeper and higher. Of course that is assuming not messing with the fork. If you are around 15mm -/+ 2mm that is fine. The ONLY reason that it says 17mm sag somewhere is that is what I like to run, I like low BB and slacker angles. If there was a surprise visit to a hundred dw-link Turner owners the average would probably be closer to 15. It is your choice how you like your bike to ride, it will NOT SUCK if the sag is not precisely ??mm.

    DT

  7. #7
    k3l
    k3l is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24
    Thanks Dave for the clarification and advice..

    I would say the first few ride on the bike didnt turn out quite correct.. i believe previously i got my rear setup too soft and i kept loosing traction on the front. I will setup the rear shock again and try it out once again.. Once the rear is being set up will see if any twitching of my front end is needed for improvement for traction.

    Ride On!!!
    Kel

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,612

    Forked

    Is the fork set up right for your weight? Which fork? Have a picture of the bike from the side?

    DT

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zonoskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    976
    Is that formula right? I weigh 80Kg with riding gear and if I use that formula, I get only 10mm sag (80Kg = 175 lbs = 150psi) sitting on the bike. I currently use 135 psi.

  10. #10
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    Is that formula right? I weigh 80Kg with riding gear and if I use that formula, I get only 10mm sag (80Kg = 175 lbs = 150psi) sitting on the bike. I currently use 135 psi.
    I too found that I liked the DW spot better with more sag than the '25 lbs off' method gave me. I believe I was running around 135 psi for a 170 lb rider, so I guess I was doing '35 lbs off'. I have a DH background and enjoy the lower BB and slacker setup this gives. It also makes the bike feel more similar to a DH with the first part of the travel being very responsive.

    S
    "flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,519
    145-150 lbs geared up and I run no more than 112psi in a pushed RP23 with a shim.

    SS are you on a DW now?

  12. #12
    striker!
    Reputation: superstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    145-150 lbs geared up and I run no more than 112psi in a pushed RP23 with a shim.

    SS are you on a DW now?
    So you're roughly 35 off too.

    Nope, no DW spot yet, but I did demo one ...

    S
    "flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

  13. #13
    bump and grind
    Reputation: cobym2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    706
    Same banana. I'm 175-180 (depending on breakfast ) and I currently run around 135-140 psi in the shock. I tried 150 psi at first, and now 135. I think I prefer the 135. After only three rides, its a bit hard to decide though.

  14. #14
    tardcore
    Reputation: pjlama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    821
    I pedal struck too much with too much sag so the 25 off works really well for me. Although I'll have an push, mx tuned, ti sprung, dhx5 coil tomorrow so we'll see how that does. I'm stoked!

  15. #15
    DGC
    DGC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,345

    sag

    Quote Originally Posted by k3l
    Hi all,

    I have just became a homer.. owning the DW Spot..

    I would need advise on the amount to PSI i should pump to the get the correct sag..

    I weigh 59kg / 130lbs.. i keep trying to get the correct amount of sag but could not get it..

    Please advise..

    Regards
    K3L
    As you can see by the posts' there are many ways to set up the DW Spot on sag/air pressures. Start with what DT says and work from there. You can go up or down in pressure to your liking and it wont hurt anything, as DT said.
    Your front fork might change your set up. Depends on the fork you have and how you set it up as to how it effects the rear of the bike.
    I have 2 shocks, 1 is a stock and 1 is a PUSHed Fox. Same air sleeves. I run both at the same air pressure. The Push rear shock eats the trail up better than the stock shock.
    The fork I run is a Pike coil, now PUSHed with the latest giblets, though I put the latest version of Enduro fork seals in myself which are waaaaay better than previous versions. The fork now stands up in its travel much more than with the stock damper did due to the PUSH goods. This helps the head angle stay slacker which I like. with PUSHed suspension front and rear the bike does not pitch fore and aft in braking bumps, ledges, steeps, it stays more level. Therefore I can run the rear shock pessure firmer if I choose to and still have great handling characteristics since the fork stands tall. Run the rear shock pressure lower and the bike is rediculously awesome on decents.
    The fork can definately change your rear shock set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    The fork I run is a Pike coil, now PUSHed with the latest giblets, though I put the latest version of Enduro fork seals in myself which are waaaaay better than previous versions. The fork now stands up in its travel much more than with the stock damper did due to the PUSH goods. This helps the head angle stay slacker which I like. with PUSHed suspension front and rear the bike does not pitch fore and aft in braking bumps, ledges, steeps, it stays more level.
    Right on My Pike is an air u-turn and is pushed which is a pretty aggressive tune setup, firm on the top and at low speed. It really helps the bike to ride slack and inspires confidence with low speed plunking. Then at speed it's great at soaking up hits once you hit rough terrain -- it just opens up. It's a great fork and tune if you ride chunky conditions and does keep the bike very level, or a little rear wheel biased. I've been thinking and thinking... about going to a bigger fork on the DW spot to slacken it out a little more but I really like the ride characteristics of the pike. It's going to be a tough decision when it comes time to buy that bigger fork.

  17. #17
    DGC
    DGC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,345

    bigger fork

    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue
    Right on My Pike is an air u-turn and is pushed which is a pretty aggressive tune setup, firm on the top and at low speed. It really helps the bike to ride slack and inspires confidence with low speed plunking. Then at speed it's great at soaking up hits once you hit rough terrain -- it just opens up. It's a great fork and tune if you ride chunky conditions and does keep the bike very level, or a little rear wheel biased. I've been thinking and thinking... about going to a bigger fork on the DW spot to slacken it out a little more but I really like the ride characteristics of the pike. It's going to be a tough decision when it comes time to buy that bigger fork.
    I was at one time considering a Lyrik up front but now that I have the front end where I want it, I probably won't do that.
    I have set my tires up with Maxxis Advantage 2.4 up front and usually a HR 2.35 in back. By the way a Fox Talas 32mm 150 is only 2mm taller axle to crown over the Pike so it is not worth the hassle.
    The High Roller in back is quite small in volume vs. the Advantage. The 2.25 Adv. is taller than the 2.35 HR. The 2.4 Adv. up front is a 27 inch tall tire, a very big tire. The results in doing tires to slacken the head angle generally is minimal, in this case with these 2 particular tires total height difference between the HR 2.35 and Adv. 2.4 is around a 1/2 inch which is quite significant and sets the bike pretty much where I want it. I don't like over forking bikes by 20mm, so the Lyrik is probably out. I had also considered a Cane Creek S-3 plus 5 headset lower cup, but when I measured it out, the plus 5 lower cup only added 3mm height over a King, not really worth the hassle for 3mm and a big step down in headset quality.
    A Pike 150 with a axle to crown of 528-530 range would be perfect, but since it does not exist.....no need in dreaming any further on that idea.
    Just some food for thought.......
    OUCH...!!!!!!

  18. #18
    k3l
    k3l is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Is the fork set up right for your weight? Which fork? Have a picture of the bike from the side?

    DT
    Hi,

    attached is my current set-up.. using pike 454 dual air.. as for my pike i am currently running 65 psi for my weight 59kg / 130lbs



    Regards,
    K3L
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rey Recinto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by k3l
    Hi,

    attached is my current set-up.. using pike 454 dual air.. as for my pike i am currently running 65 psi for my weight 59kg / 130lbs



    Regards,
    K3L

    guys,

    would just like to ask if the 5-spot in the picture is a small frame? I don't see a strut brace running from the top tube to the seat post mast unlike other pictures of 5-spots in medium and large sizes. Am i correct?

    Thanks

  20. #20
    k3l
    k3l is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24
    yes.. mine is a small frame.. it has a bend top tube and the brace you have seen on the medium and large is not on the small frame..

    Regards,
    Kel

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fatboy Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Put all you riding clothes on, your camelbak your shoes etc and stand on a scale, Ready To Ride minus 25 lbs for the 5 Spot. That is the system that has worked with demos by the hundred for almost a year. This is a great, almost perfect starting point. I suggest you bring a pump on the first couple rides so you can fine tune the chassis feel to your trails and your personality. DW has made it perfectly clear to me that the linkage work he has done on the Turner dw-link bikes is NOT super sensitive to the sag for proper performance. More sag=slacker angles and lower BB, less sag=steeper and higher. Of course that is assuming not messing with the fork. If you are around 15mm -/+ 2mm that is fine. The ONLY reason that it says 17mm sag somewhere is that is what I like to run, I like low BB and slacker angles. If there was a surprise visit to a hundred dw-link Turner owners the average would probably be closer to 15. It is your choice how you like your bike to ride, it will NOT SUCK if the sag is not precisely ??mm.

    DT
    Hi,

    Does this apply to setting for the Flux too? Thank you.

    FBJ

  22. #22
    k3l
    k3l is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    A Pike 150 with a axle to crown of 528-530 range would be perfect, but since it does not exist.....no need in dreaming any further on that idea.
    Just some food for thought.......
    what about the 150 revelation? i am actually considering getting the 2010 150 revelation team..

    anyone tried that?

    Regards,
    Kel

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.