Thread: Sad Day...

Never enough time to ride

Sad Day...

Got up this morning felt great, had a nice brisk ride into the shop and was just kinda looking at my Burner thinking to my self, "self, you really should get that silver swing arm painted black to match the rest of the frame." Then I noticed a crack, needless to say I'm a little bummed. Just emailed Turner to see what my options are and we'll go from there, I've got the RFX to keep me occupied for now, but I just loved my Burner, such a solid bike and just about perfect for everything around here. Maybe one more ride this weekend before she gets put up, whadaya think CC.

happy trails...

squish
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ...'tis but a scratch!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2eMkth8FWno&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2eMkth8FWno&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    Wow, I've always thought my Burner was indestructible! You're right, it's such a great bike.

I recently raided it to build my Spot. Hmmm, I'll have to give the frame a good once over before it moves on...

One thing's for sure, DT & Crew will take care of you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The death of a Burner

I guess we all think we're going to live forever. I was counting on bequeathing my Reborn Burner to one of my grandchildren (the reading of the will: The lake house goes to Norbert, the yacht goes to Philomena, the Reborn Burner goes to Wilbert ((sudden tumult in the lawyers office, punches are thrown, "it's just not fair that Wilbert gets the Burner" etc etc)) ).

Can any "modern day" part be substituted?
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

...'tis but a scratch!

and merely a flesh wound! I need to get that movie, been ages since I've watched it!

I can definatley see a Spot in my future one way or another, would just need a fork and a front wheel, everything else will transfer over. Plenty of positive to come from this but I did love this bike.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Team Sanchez
    Whew!!!! For a moment there I thought that was a picture of the RFX!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    ...'tis but a scratch!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2eMkth8FWno&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2eMkth8FWno&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/leEsz9ci5XE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/leEsz9ci5XE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Whew!!!! For a moment there I thought that was a picture of the RFX!
    No worries there Ben, as long as I don't slam into any more trees the RFX is going to be around for a lot of years.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Bummer Josh! I just went and checked mine, still good after 3 seasons of riding, really enjoy this bike as well. I'm getting the bug for a new rig tho

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As the owner of an 04 Burner myself, I was wondering what the resolution was?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    I was offered a crash replacement Flux main triangle and rockers for $500, the original rear end will work on the Flux. It's also worth $550 credit towards any other frame in the line-up. Pretty fair considering that mine is out of warranty.

I wouldn't worry too much about the frame failing, I was riding it pretty hard and bit outside the intended use range. Ride yours and enjoy it.

happy trails...

squish
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Rolling
    Wow, I would have never thought a burner could crack. Hope mine doesn't, else I will be riding my Id full time.

And tinshield, I was about to post the darth version of the black night myself--you beat my geek azz..

Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    I was offered a crash replacement Flux main triangle and rockers for $500, the original rear end will work on the Flux. It's also worth $550 credit towards any other frame in the line-up. Pretty fair considering that mine is out of warranty.

I wouldn't worry too much about the frame failing, I was riding it pretty hard and bit outside the intended use range. Ride yours and enjoy it.

happy trails...

squish
    You mean it's not $650 anymore? What happened to that?
    Last edited by lidarman; 11-05-2007 at 08:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squish
    Then I noticed a crack....
    Squish, If you don't mind me asking, which side was the nyloc nut installed on the shock bolts and what condition were they in?

Note: not suggesting this had anything to do with the failure, just the engineer in me wondering why cracks similar to yours occur predominantly on the non drive side for the similarly mounted O2/Burner/Flux style shock mount.
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

Nope frame is worth $550.00, which is more than fair for a killed frame.

I always install the Nyloc bolts on the left side and they were in pretty good shape, never came loose and the shock wasn't removed unless it was being serviced. No particular reason other than it made better sense in my own mind to have the allen head on the right side. Any particular reason why you ask?

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

a sneak peak at the basterd burner

introducin the new standard for used bike builds: the washer/dryer shot! shes ugly but hopefully effective. crappy pic but his loss became my gain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squish
    I always install the Nyloc bolts on the left side and they were in pretty good shape, never came loose and the shock wasn't removed unless it was being serviced. No particular reason other than it made better sense in my own mind to have the allen head on the right side. Any particular reason why you ask?
    The nut is commonly on the non drive side which could be completely coincidental with the occurance of the crack on that side. Although unlikely in this application I know of crack failures being caused by unbalanced forces as a result of the slight difference in bolt diameter between the smooth and threaded sections.

Assuming that the major forces which cause this type of crack are experienced from suspension action through bumps rather than braking or pedalling, I would expect an even spread of failures on both sides as the suspension is symetrical left to right on the Burner/Flux/O2. However the failures like yours are predominantly on one side which suggests some other factor is also involved, I was just wondering why.... its a boffin thing

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Ride report requiered

Surely this new incarnation (have to think of a clever name) is going to ride differently than either a Flux or a Burner. And will PUSH know how to tune this creature?

Quote Originally Posted by Tassie Devil
    The nut is commonly on the non drive side which could be completely coincidental with the occurance of the crack on that side. Although unlikely in this application I know of crack failures being caused by unbalanced forces as a result of the slight difference in bolt diameter between the smooth and threaded sections.

Assuming that the major forces which cause this type of crack are experienced from suspension action through bumps rather than braking or pedalling, I would expect an even spread of failures on both sides as the suspension is symetrical left to right on the Burner/Flux/O2. However the failures like yours are predominantly on one side which suggests some other factor is also involved, I was just wondering why.... its a boffin thing
    It is actually cracked on both sides, I just didn't post up pics of the other side, figured one was enough.

happy trails...

Josh
    Get out and ride!

its very close to a xce without the slack ha but besides the sg tubes its pretty much identical to a '04 burner with xr rockers. 17" st, 23" tt, 71.5 hta, 73 sta. im not sure the 4" rockers will stay on long as it raises the b/bkt up .5" i think. my guess is ill toss the 3.6" rockers and a lighter wheel/tire combo at it soon. just thought id give these a try 1st.

push should be able to figure this out very easily but i dont think hell do a thing till i re-polish it or somethin. talk about a badly dressed old hag of a bike. ike has seen better days.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    First of all don't paint the Turner swingarm if it is the chrome.
    Second that sux. Sorry to hear.
    Plenty of good bikes available though.
    Last edited by greenmacheen; 11-06-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    All about the ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Surely this new incarnation (have to think of a clever name) is going to ride differently than either a Flux or a Burner. And will PUSH know how to tune this creature?
    Its still a Burner front and rear so that probably still makes it a Burner.

I was initially thinking a 24" wheel whould be the go for dropping the BB height, but if you put a 29" front wheel/fork on there you could call it the Sulner or the Burtan and then be half as cool as a Sultan rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Now I'm confused

My '04 Burner's main rocker pivot is behind the seat tube, my Flux's was in front of the seat tube. If squish got a replacement Flux front (main) triangle and used his (rear) Burner swingarm then why is the pivot location in cc's picture in back like my still intact Burner? Sorry, my coffee is just starting to kick in, brain still in sleep mode...did Turner move the pivot location back? Squish says Turner gave him a "Flux replacement main triangle and rockers". Flux rockers?
    Tassie Devil says it's still a Burner front and rear? Flux = Burner?

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    That's sad man. There's times I'm on my Spot and miss my Burner. That was a fun bike.
    RIP

Not saying I don't love my Spot of course
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

yer confusin his burner replacement with mine. thats my '96 burner on the washer/dryer. i now own his old '04 stays and rockers and he hasnt gotten a flux or anything else yet but when he does hes gettin a whole spot frame. to make matters less confusin for ya, or more, the flux, spot and burner can all share the same rear end all through the years but the burner rockers are not transferable. nor are the spot and flux rockers, on paper, but they both seem to work on the sultan.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The fog is lifting

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yer confusin his burner replacement with mine. thats my '96 burner on the washer/dryer. i now own his old '04 stays and rockers and he hasnt gotten a flux or anything else yet but when he does hes gettin a whole spot frame. to make matters less confusin for ya, or more, the flux, spot and burner can all share the same rear end all through the years but the burner rockers are not transferable. nor are the spot and flux rockers, on paper, but they both seem to work on the sultan.
    Of course, your front triangle (main triangle? What's the proper terminology? I've always called the "swingarm" the rear triangle...and you're calling it "the stays". Maybe it's different in the midwest?) is polished like my Flux was. Really, my confusion can be readily explained away, at least for me. Here's some gratuitous shots of my Flux in better times, meaning when I owned it and we were both in Moab. Where are these shots taken?
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:14 AM.

yep, front triangle or also known as the front tri, front end or main frame.

the rear end or rear, stays, chainstays and shock stays, seatstays and chainstays, rear triangle, rear tri....... im sure theres even more.

id say a swingarm would indicate a single beam type rear like the old foes, rotec's and rocky's
    No, I'm NOT back!

Hey XC,

I'm going to confuse you even more. The rear end is generally refered to as linkage, the chainstays can also be called the swingarm, the seatstays are commonly refered to as shock stays and the rockers are, well, just the rockers.

But in the case of CC's bike his original rear end was all polished to match the frame but lacked disc brake mounts. The rear end he snagged from me is kind of a mut, the shock stays are black like my frame, but the swingarm is sparkle silver because I had a brain fart and forgot to check the torque on the horst bolts and wallowed out the bolt holes He also snagged both set of my rockrs, the stock X and the longer XR's.

Confused yet?

happy trails...

Oops, didn't see CC's post above mine, my bad

squish
    Get out and ride!

Bite Me.
    Where are these shots taken?
    XC - that looks like the cattle guard at the start of LPS. I could be mistaken. Barring an unforeseen calamity, I'm looking at 4 days of Moab riding from 11/15 - 11/19, at last!
    CC - are you correct in saying your Burner main triangle has a HTA of 71.5 degrees? If so, it will handle way differently than the '04 frame which has a 70 degree HTA. I thought I had my XR Burner sold this past weekend to a riding buddy - fully tricked with all XTR, including the XTR tubeless wheelset, a Pushed RP3 and brand new Revelation up front for $1,600. At the last minute he decided the large frame was too big for him - truth be told, I'm glad the deal fell through. There are some rides where the Burner is just the right bike. Good Stuff.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    That's sad man. There's times I'm on my Spot and miss my Burner. That was a fun bike.
    RIP

Not saying I don't love my Spot of course

I have yet to experience that...I'm having way too much fun on the Spot to miss the Burner yet!

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    XC - that looks like the cattle guard at the start of LPS. I could be mistaken. Barring an unforeseen calamity, I'm looking at 4 days of Moab riding from 11/15 - 11/19, at last!
    CC - are you correct in saying your Burner main triangle has a HTA of 71.5 degrees? If so, it will handle way differently than the '04 frame which has a 70 degree HTA. I thought I had my XR Burner sold this past weekend to a riding buddy - fully tricked with all XTR, including the XTR tubeless wheelset, a Pushed RP3 and brand new Revelation up front for $1,600. At the last minute he decided the large frame was too big for him - truth be told, I'm glad the deal fell through. There are some rides where the Burner is just the right bike. Good Stuff.
    He should spend some more money on HGH or a rack or something

Hey, I have a soft spot in my heart for my first Turner. What can I say?
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

You, sir, are correct!

And you have won the prize! And your prize is...An All-Expense Paid For By Your Own Self vacation to...Moab! Maybe even Upper Porc might be open. Get hold of punta lobos, he's a local I met at the THC who I believe is riding a new 5.5 Spot, he'll know.

And was the potential buyer begging you for your Burner or were you just shopping it around? $1,600 seems pretty cheap for what he'd be getting. If I were you (and for some reason wanted to sell my/your Burner) I'd put the Reba back on it when it gets back from RS, change out that XTR wheelset...and all other XTR parts for that matter!

The logs you see blocking one direction of LPS is just the work of somebody trying to disrupt folks riding LPS at all. When the THC came roaring through they weren't there and it doesn't matter even if they are.

And my Burner enjoying the view down into Castle Valley.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Bite Me.
    If I were you (and for some reason wanted to sell my/your Burner) I'd put the Reba back on it when it gets back from RS, change out that XTR wheelset...and all other XTR parts for that matter!
    Don't like XTR? It's actually worked quite well for me, though I prefer the SRAM X9 now. The Revelation is staying put - nice fork for the Burner IMO. The Reba came back from SRAM/RS - those guys did me right! Pulled the entire upper assembly and replaced it with brand new, including the new aluminum knobs, and rebuilt the whole thing. Cost? $0.00. This was on a fork that was over two years old, out of warranty and had been ridden hard. Turn around was about a week. It helps that SRAM is in Colorado Springs now, but the CS is superb.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Love XTR

Don't like XTR? It's actually worked quite well for me, though I prefer the SRAM X9 now. The Revelation is staying put - nice fork for the Burner IMO. The Reba came back from SRAM/RS - those guys did me right! Pulled the entire upper assembly and replaced it with brand new, including the new aluminum knobs, and rebuilt the whole thing. Cost? $0.00. This was on a fork that was over two years old, out of warranty and had been ridden hard. Turn around was about a week. It helps that SRAM is in Colorado Springs now, but the CS is superb.
    So much so that, like I thought I'd said--if you were GOING to sell your Burner---you should keep your Revelation and all XTR stuff! Since you're going to keep it (good de-facto decision) you've got it built up nice. I had a problem with a new Revelation (an oil leak from he!l) and I had the same experience you had. The turn-around time was about a week and they just yanked everything out and it came back a new fork. Whoever has opinions formed about RS from years past should know it's a whole new company/attitude now.

Members who have read this thread: 0