S or XS DW 5-Spot?- Mtbr.com
    on a routine expedition

S or XS DW 5-Spot?

My girlfriend is looking for a new trailbike. She's particularly interested in the new DW Spot, but is unsure about sizing. As the demo bikes are currently on the other side of the country, I thought I'd ask for some advice here.

She's 5'3" with a 29" inseam. She owned a HL Spot a few years ago, but was never able to get completely comfortable on it. She's currently rides a Intense Slopestyle (21.5 TT) and a custom single speed (21.75 TT), both bikes she loves; and a semi-custom Ventana (21.8 TT), which is what she's looking to replace.

So the question is S or XS. I'd say the XS would be a no-brainer, but she's pedaled an XS Pivot around, which has a similar TT length to the XS Spot, and said she felt a little cramped. Granted it was just a parking lot test, so she doesn't put a lot of stock in it, but it's enough to raise a question in her mind. Any suggestion/advice would be appreciated.

Amphibious Technologies
    MW, I am about CBs size with an inch longer inseam. I think the XS would be too small for her. My guess is she'd probably be more comfortable on a Small with shortish stem (80mm or less). That being said, I'd wait for the demo fleet and have her ride it to make sure.

What's the geo on her Ventana? Is it similar to the new Spot?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Willanholly
    My girlfriend is looking for a new trailbike. She's particularly interested in the new DW Spot, but is unsure about sizing. As the demo bikes are currently on the other side of the country, I thought I'd ask for some advice here.

She's 5'3" with a 29" inseam. She owned a HL Spot a few years ago, but was never able to get completely comfortable on it. She's currently rides a Intense Slopestyle (21.5 TT) and a custom single speed (21.75 TT), both bikes she loves; and a semi-custom Ventana (21.8 TT), which is what she's looking to replace.

So the question is S or XS. I'd say the XS would be a no-brainer, but she's pedaled an XS Pivot around, which has a similar TT length to the XS Spot, and said she felt a little cramped. Granted it was just a parking lot test, so she doesn't put a lot of stock in it, but it's enough to raise a question in her mind. Any suggestion/advice would be appreciated.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

~~~~~~~~
    I'm surprised you haven't hit up any of the demo days yet, I'm looking forward to hearing some feedback between the xs and small. Sounds like the small spot did grow slightly for 09 and DT suggested going with less stem but we are already running a 50 on the preDW small spot. Sorry not much help, but I'm thinking the xs would only work if slow tight trails (or 4x, slopestyle, BMX ).

btw, wonder what happened to the new measuring system that was based on front center?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Small?

I agree with Scuba, a small frame with shortish stem.

Air, will put the Reach and Stack up on the next web site.

Demos will be back end of next month, or you can meet them in Tahoe a little earlier. By then the fog might be gone and Tahoe will be a great place to spend a weekend!

DT

%$#$*!
    I'm interested in hearing feedback between the xs and small 5.spot as well. Anybody have pics of the xs and small frames built up for comparison?
    Last edited by beefmagic; 05-27-2009 at 06:49 PM.

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    I'm surprised you haven't hit up any of the demo days yet,
    Well, that's because we're dorks. Actually she only decided to replace the Ventana about a week ago, and the demos were already making their way east.

Sounds like the small spot did grow slightly for 09 and DT suggested going with less stem but we are already running a 50 on the preDW small spot. Sorry not much help, but I'm thinking the xs would only work if slow tight trails (or 4x, slopestyle, BMX ).
    She tried both a 50mm and 70mm stem on her S preDW Spot. I had speculated the 22.2" TT of that bike was her problem, since she's never liked a bike with a TT over 22". She's a tough one to fit, and I haven't been able to identify what aspect of the fit is the problem. Some bikes she gets on and immediately feels at home with almost no fiddling, others just never seem to work, no matter what changes we make to stem length, bar height, saddle position, etc.

mtbr member

small

I'm 5'6" with a 28" inseam and I'm most comfortable on the Medium, in fact when I tried to demo the small the seatpost wasn't long enough. heres the medium. For some reason the pic of the small wont load but it has a very bent top tube and crazy standover, but even the medium has more standover than my 03 spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by slowrider; 05-27-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: pics

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    I couldn't even remember the name for the new system, and then started to think it was all a dream...

I'm still working on ignoring TT numbers, I'm sure the small fit is good, and I'd want the stability of the longer wheelbase anyway.

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes

DT
    Do you happen to have the Reach and Stack measurements for the S and XS Spots?

Lopen is sneller....
    Oct 2003
    My wife is 5.3 as well and she owns a small. Works really well for her and feel the XS would be a little too cramped. She rides it with a 0 offset post and a 70mm stem. There are pictures of the bike on the DW Spot setup thread.

As my wife doesn't weigh much we tried to built it up as light as possible, within its intended use, and got it in just under 12 kgs.
    Last edited by Uzzi; 05-28-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0