mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Which RS Pike for my 2014 Sultan?

I have a New Large Sultan on the way, I am very excited. I have a 2008 Sultan, have had a 2010 (DW). I mis having a DW Sultan. I sold the previous DW because my fox 32 started to creak and I wanted a tapered steer tube.

The new frame will come with the 44mm headtube, so I have a ton of options.

The Axle to crown on a Fox F34 140mm is the same as the RS Pike 150mm. I am getting a Pike for the frame, but the 140mm, the 150mm or the 150mm dual position fit the geometry?

I live in Charlotte, NC and ride a little in the mountains (Asheville).

Is there a consensus on the best choice?

climber
    Dec 2008
    I rode a 6 Pack for years with a Lyric 2-step fork. For me, it was hardly worth adjusting down for the climbing - mainly because I would often forget to change it back! On my new Sultan, I have been pleased with the performance and simplicity of the Fox F34 140mm. I set the sag and ride it up and down the hills and never have to think about it,

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    I have a New Large Sultan on the way, I am very excited. I have a 2008 Sultan, have had a 2010 (DW). I mis having a DW Sultan. I sold the previous DW because my fox 32 started to creak and I wanted a tapered steer tube.

The new frame will come with the 44mm headtube, so I have a ton of options.

The Axle to crown on a Fox F34 140mm is the same as the RS Pike 150mm. I am getting a Pike for the frame, but the 140mm, the 150mm or the 150mm dual position fit the geometry?

I live in Charlotte, NC and ride a little in the mountains (Asheville).

Is there a consensus on the best choice?
    The Pike is awesome. I would get it at 140mm for the Sultan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverSurfer View Post
    The Pike is awesome. I would get it at 140mm for the Sultan.
    What is your reasoning?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What is your reasoning?
    Well I don't like getting the front end of a 29er up too high. I think it can compromise overall handling even if it gives you a slight advantage on blowing through downhill gnar. The Sultan has 125mm of travel on the frame. I had a DW Sultan and started with a 120 reba for a season and then switched to a fox 34 float 140mm. I liked the 140 a lot more on the Sultan due to an increase of stiffness and of course the travel. The 140 stomped on the down hills and it was a fox. I am now riding a Ripley and switched the Fox to a Pike which was a huge improvement IMO. The Pike made the Fox feel like garbage. The Pike is amazingly plush and stiff and weighed less than the Fox so it was a no brainer. I actually ended up dropping my Pike down to 134mm ish to bring the front end down a hair. I think I found the sweet spot for me.

Back to your question... I think the Sultan could handle the 150mm Pike no problem but the Pike performs/handles so well at 140 and even at 134 that I'm not sure if the 10mm gain in travel is worth raising the front end, BB, etc but to each his own. What kind of trails do you mostly plan on riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hello RiverSurfer

Great answer, exactly what I was looking for.

The bike will be my travel bike, so I will ride whatever, where ever I am in the South East.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've got a 140mm solo air Pike on my XL 2013. Like Riversurfer I think more than this would cause too much of an imbalance with the rear end. I also considered the dual position but like Jack think it's more hassle than it's worth, I would forget to switch it back for the drops and the Pike doesn't bob too much when climbing either. I had 140 RCT3 Revs on it before which I liked but the accuracy and damping of the Pikes are on a completely different level, love 'em!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Meant to say I also went for the 51mm offset version (rather than the more common 46mm) which Greg at Turner recommended, bike handles great

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    This is all very good feedback, I have the Sultan Built and rode it for the first time today. I had a F32 spaced at 150mm (545mm A-C). I have an stubby stem (40mm) on it and felt the wandering front end when climbing. The A-C seems in the ballpark, so I am trying a 90mm Stem with 10 degrees drop on the next ride.

But I clearly understand that more fork is not needed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    40mm to 90 is a big jump, what about a 70mm? I've just changed my 85mm for a 70 but have yet to ride it.

Oh, and I didn't think I needed more fork until I tried a Pike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideDave View Post
    Oh, and I didn't think I needed more fork until I tried a Pike....
    I mis-spoke, I can clearly use more fork, as in a beefier/better fork. I just do not need a longer Axle to Crown (nor more travel) than what I have now.

It looks like the Pike at 140 is 551mm A to C, that should be perfect.

I rode a Pike at Outerbike and thought it was great. I will get one once I stumble across some extra money.

mtbr member
    I had a F32 spaced at 150mm (545mm A-C). I have an stubby stem (40mm) on it and felt the wandering front end when climbing.
    29" F32 at 150mm??? The wandering you felt was probably the stanchions about to dislodge from the lowers! The max travel I've heard of for 32mm 29"er Fox forks is 130mm (Specialized OEM), but if you have found a way to circumvent this I can't imagine the ride quality would be pretty.

Whatever fork you're currently running aside, a 140mm Pike does sound perfect for the Sultan, and the 70mm stem Dave suggested is probably a good middle of the road starting point for stem length. The Sultan does have a pretty short reach though so it wouldn't be out of the question to run a bit longer stem than is currently fashionable (which is what some would consider 70mm!).
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Here's my XL 2012 with 140mm Pike and 70mm stem with 780mm bars

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice bike Dave.

I looked at some more numbers (because I can not ride right now). It looks like my top tube on the Sultan is 23mm shorter than my previous bike that the 40mm stem was on. So a 70ish stem should be perfect.

About the fork I am using, it measures 145 mm travel, and it uses all of it. It is an OEM fork that came on a S-works Stumpy FSR. So it was supposed to be a 130mm.

Looking forward to getting the Pike, its 40 grams heavier but the ride quality should make up for that.