Upgrade Addict

RP3 or RP23 on my Burner

I have never been all that happy with my Swinger 3-Way on my Burner so I am going to try something else. I can get a pretty good deal on a new 2006 RP3 but I am wondering if it is worth the extra $175 to go ahead and get the RP23. Anyone tried both on a Burner or Flux?

not so super...
    Get the RP3 and use the $175 to send it to PUSH
    Nothing to see here.

!
    Even the non-pushed RP3 is miles ahead of the Manicrap Swimger. I went from Swinger to RP3 and was the best upgrade to that bike.
    I AM WE TODD DID

I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    Going from the Swinger to the RP3 turned my Burner into a completely different bike. It was a HUGE difference. As suggested, save the $ and get it Pushed or other bling

rr
    I don't do PC
    Another vote, Pushed RP3 on Burner = happy

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

And another vote for RP3 then PUSH

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    Another vote, Pushed RP3 on Burner = happy
    A lot of us Burner owners have done the switch from Swinger 3-Way to PUSHed Fox and the difference is night and day. Round up a set of XR rockers while you're at it and do the entire conversion all at once. A worthwhile winter project.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Upgrade Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    A lot of us Burner owners have done the switch from Swinger 3-Way to PUSHed Fox and the difference is night and day. Round up a set of XR rockers while you're at it and do the entire conversion all at once. A worthwhile winter project.
    Well that sounds unanimous. I already have the XR Rockers on there so I am half way there... One other question. Once I pull the trigger on the RP3, where can I get my hands on the appropriate spacers?

Al.
    Hooligan
    Get a new sultan. It comes with a new shock. I'm just sayin'.

Upgrade Addict
    I shouldn't have gotten on that bike last night. I'm bringing my Shimano shoes next time so I can take a proper test drive...

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmre
    Well that sounds unanimous. I already have the XR Rockers on there so I am half way there... One other question. Once I pull the trigger on the RP3, where can I get my hands on the appropriate spacers?

Fox.

Or just a good bike shop.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

You owe it to yourself

I shouldn't have gotten on that bike last night. I'm bringing my Shimano shoes next time so I can take a proper test drive...
    and to the Burner to go RP3/PUSH just to see how that bike can ride if set up properly. Make a decision on getting another bike after you've given it a proper chance.

Rolling
    I got an RP3 and although it is better than the manitou, I didn't think it was leaps and bounds better. I guess I had my three-way adjusted fairly well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

When I switched out my Swinger 3-Way

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I got an RP3 and although it is better than the manitou, I didn't think it was leaps and bounds better. I guess I had my three-way adjusted fairly well.
    I went directly to XR rockers and a PUSHed Float, so who knows which of these changes were the most significant? I've PUSHed every Fox shock I've owned and the difference between stock and PUSHed has always been very noticeable. Before I switched out the 3-Way the Burner was just a frame sitting in a closet because I really didn't like the way it rode all that much. In it's present incarnation I love it.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Upgrade Addict
    and to the Burner to go RP3/PUSH just to see how that bike can ride if set up properly. Make a decision on getting another bike after you've given it a proper chance.
    The Burner is going NOWHERE. It has been with me for a while and will remain part of the stable. Any Sultan's I may consider would just be an addition to the happy family.

whoa!
    Mar 2007
    I went directly to XR rockers and a PUSHed Float, so who knows which of these changes were the most significant? I've PUSHed every Fox shock I've owned and the difference between stock and PUSHed has always been very noticeable. Before I switched out the 3-Way the Burner was just a frame sitting in a closet because I really didn't like the way it rode all that much. In it's present incarnation I love it.
    XC, , , nice photo.

Did you ever get your Cap Forest ride this last summer???

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Wow, cross post or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Music
    XC, , , nice photo.

Did you ever get your Cap Forest ride this last summer???
    In a word, no. I did build up a real mountain bike and sent it FedEx to my relatives in Lacey. I did ride while I was visiting but only around the neighborhood and a cool bike trail down to Puget Sound. I got maps of Cap Forest but I was too busy with visiting (with non-biking al maximo relatives) to ask them to drive me 45 minutes to a trailhead then wait while I scouted around. The bike is now hanging on their garage wall waiting for my return.

That pic is from Green Mountain near Golden, CO. And...my bike's adventures in Lacey.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:14 AM.

whoa!
    Mar 2007
    In a word, no. I did build up a real mountain bike and sent it FedEx to my relatives in Lacey. I did ride while I was visiting but only around the neighborhood and a cool bike trail down to Puget Sound. I got maps of Cap Forest but I was too busy with visiting (with non-biking al maximo relatives) to ask them to drive me 45 minutes to a trailhead then wait while I scouted around. The bike is now hanging on their garage wall waiting for my return.

That pic is from Green Mountain near Golden, CO. And...my bike's adventures in Lacey.
    "Wow, cross post or what?"
    Yes, , , severe xposting, , , and with the hope of keeping the Oly folks from a big snit this time. . .

Nice looking ride, , , perfect for CF. Chehalis Western is a great ride eh ???
    If you're gonna ride it next year drop a PM and I'll give you the CF $0.10 tour if I'm in the hood.
    Its kind of a dial-a-loop thing 15mi or 20 or 25 or 40/4000 ft.

Anyway, back On topic, , , I'm thinking of Pushing my RP3 which is pretty damn smooth already on the ole Flux.
    The problem I find (and I've heard this before) is the 3 position switch is virtually the same at all stops.
    There are trails I like around here that would bottom the Fllux out continuously and while you could jack the pressure up to minimal or zero sag, , , whyy???
    40 years ago we landed men on the moon, , ,
    is it too much to hope for to have a rear shock that can be adjustable for three distinctly different conditions without mucking up the sag setting?

The question is : will a Push job do that???

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Don't forget the HID dude
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Well, all I have to say is

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Music
    "Wow, cross post or what?"
    Yes, , , severe xposting, , , and with the hope of keeping the Oly folks from a big snit this time. . .

Nice looking ride, , , perfect for CF. Chehalis Western is a great ride eh ???
    If you're gonna ride it next year drop a PM and I'll give you the CF $0.10 tour if I'm in the hood.
    Its kind of a dial-a-loop thing 15mi or 20 or 25 or 40/4000 ft.

Anyway, back On topic, , , I'm thinking of Pushing my RP3 which is pretty damn smooth already on the ole Flux.
    The problem I find (and I've heard this before) is the 3 position switch is virtually the same at all stops.
    There are trails I like around here that would bottom the Fllux out continuously and while you could jack the pressure up to minimal or zero sag, , , whyy???
    40 years ago we landed men on the moon, , ,
    is it too much to hope for to have a rear shock that can be adjustable for three distinctly different conditions without mucking up the sag setting?

The question is : will a Push job do that???
    whether or not PUSH can satisfy your desire to have three distinct settings on your RP3--when I had the RP3 PUSHed on my Flux it was night and day the performance difference. I kept wondering why the ride was so harsh with a stock RP3 (compared to my Reborn Burner) when, come on guys this is a Turner after all!. I'd read where PUSHing the Fox gave the Flux frame the shock it deserved. Well, after doing it I would agree completely. Just PUSH your shock over this winter and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Upgrade Addict

Plans changed...

Thanks to DAVID J, I now have a Pushed Float RL on the Burner that was set up for my same riding weight and a Burner with XR Rockers just like mine. It came in yesterday and today at lunch was the first ride. Oh. My. God. So much freaking better than the 3-Way in EVERY-way. It rides much higher in the travel (no more pedal strikes) and soaks up everything like butter compared to the Manitou. It did great while out of the saddle climbing, as well. Best $100 I ever spent!!! Matches up great with the F100X I have on the front. I am back in love with the Burner.

Al. - I appreciate the advice, but this was much cheaper than buying the Sultan...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I agree with everything you just said

Thanks to DAVID J, I now have a Pushed Float RL on the Burner that was set up for my same riding weight and a Burner with XR Rockers just like mine. It came in yesterday and today at lunch was the first ride. Oh. My. God. So much freaking better than the 3-Way in EVERY-way. It rides much higher in the travel (no more pedal strikes) and soaks up everything like butter compared to the Manitou. It did great while out of the saddle climbing, as well. Best $100 I ever spent!!! Matches up great with the F100X I have on the front. I am back in love with the Burner.

Al. - I appreciate the advice, but this was much cheaper than buying the Sultan...
    Another Burner lover in da house.

mtbr member
    I completely rebuilt my Swinger 3-way after 2 years of use and have no problem with it. I like the firm platform and it seems pretty plush too me.

But after hearing all this maybe I should try the Fox...

I was reluctant to go with the RPs as a mate got an RP3 (when Turner was selling em), and when we went out on winter rides his shock would keep getting stuck down- it was O.K after he installed the new seal kit.

If a similar sale came up Id be tempted.

Members who have read this thread: 0