Romic sounds like it is sucking on a straw in a mostly empty glass.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Romic sounds like it is sucking on a straw in a mostly empty glass.

My romic on my 5 Spot has been working flawlessly for 9 months. All of a sudden it started making a sucking noise when rebounding. It seems as though it is still functioning properly but the sound is somewhat disconcerting. Sounds just like sucking on a straw when you have already finished most of your drink. Thoughts?

Still chuggin' along
    TIme to send it in. That's what mine sounded like when the compression knob bonked. Oil will probably start leaking soon, if it hasn't already.

From the day I sent it in to the day I got it back, the process took about two weeks and they custom tuned the shock, too. That was back in Oct. so I'm not sure if they're still doing the custom tuning but it would be worth it to ask.
    Make Everyday your Masterpiece - George Michael

mtbr member

mine too...

Quote Originally Posted by MARider
    Thoughts?
    Mine started doing this half way into the first ride after receiving it back from Romic for warranty work . I posted this, and so far it hasn't puked. I'd probably ride it until it does and then send it in. Regardless, keep us posted. I'll be interested to see what the outcome is.
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 06-09-2004 at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member

Ahh nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Mine started doing this half way into the first ride after receiving it back from Romic for warranty work . I posted this, and so far it hasn't puked. I'd probably ride it until it does and then send it in. Regardless, keep us posted. I'll be interested to see what the outcome is.

That is what I was afraid of. I'll just keep riding it until pukes and will post here with any updates. I see some quality time in the future with my wifes Giant Ranier HT. Ahh nuts.

Baked Alaskan
    Sent my Romic in for servicing last week, got it back yesterday. Pretty impressive turnaround. Mine never had rebound from the beginning, hopefully I can experience the joy's of the Romic for the first time.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Not just famous; infamous
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Sent my Romic in for servicing last week, got it back yesterday. Pretty impressive turnaround. Mine never had rebound from the beginning, hopefully I can experience the joy's of the Romic for the first time.
    Yup, sent mine in last Thursday, hope it gets back soon. The compression knob never did anything, the compression stroke was really harsh, and I was using about 15 clicks of rebound. Called Romic (never got an answer back from 2 emails I sent) and they weren't surprised about anything but the excessive rebound setting. You would think that they'd find a way to stop all these "common" problems on the assembly line. At least the valving will be customized. Maybe this is how they assure that the shock is properly valved for the bike? Hope this is the last time I send it in.

Oh well, my Vanilla fork needed an oil change anyway. Now I'm rediscovering the "joys" of my old hardtail.

Baked Alaskan

romic was good to me

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    Now I'm rediscovering the "joys" of my old hardtail.

There's no joy in any hardtail, although I just hooked with a Jake the Snake to commute with so I'm going fully rigid with skinny tires. Yikes!

The lame thing about my fast Romic turnaround was I wanted to ease up on the compression and they got it done before I got around to contacting them. So I have to go with whatever they sent me. We'll see.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Members who have read this thread: 0