mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Romic deal breaker ?

My buddy is looking @ purchasing a used 5 Spot frame equipped with a rebuilt Romic coil shock. His current frame has a Fox RP23 and he really uses the Pro-pedal alot for fireroad climbing. I told him the Romic has a low speed compression but I didn't know how it would compare to the RP23 ? I told him he could always buy a RP23 but he said the frame cost plusa new shock wasn't an option @ the moment. Thanks.

Lay off the Levers
    It's probably easier to understand if we knew what the price was.

The Romic does have compression adjustment which can help firm it up for fireroad pedaling but it's not like the PP switch on teh RP23. You'd have to reach down and turn it several clicks to get that much of an effect. But if it' a long climb I suppose It could be worth it. BTW early Romics were plagued with effective compression adjustments...make sure this one works properly.

The Romic will be a more fun shock to ride on the choppy techy trails and fast aggro descents. Depending on his style that could make up for the plush climb.
    Last edited by Bikezilla; 11-30-2009 at 02:15 PM.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Every official review ive read has stated they havent used the pro pedal feature of the fox when its tied to a spot, some have stated it only needs to be spec'd with a standard RP (no pro pedal) and the couple of spots ive demo'd i havent been able to discern any difference between the pro pedal being on or off with regards to peddle bob. Ive no experience of the Romic at all though, but the DW link really does what it says its supposed to

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by wpuk
    ...the DW link really does what it says its supposed to
    I don't think he's talking about a DW Spot. If it has a Romic on it, its probably a Horst link, or at the latest a TNT. I think they stopped shipping Romics on Spots in what, '05? (04 being the last full year)
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

jrm
    mtbr member

Offer the seller

the frame cost + 1/2 that of a new or used rp23. The seller already knows the romic a POS so i think its fair that you tell him why youre offering him this amount.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The frame is over priced, in my opinion, and my buddy gets in these moods where he should just go into an LBS and buy new, but thats not really the issue I need to be invovlved with. I can tell him about components but won't even think of steering him in any direction as I don't want to hear complaints if something doesn't meet his expectations. I told him a Romic, being a coil, would probably provide a smoother ride once the spring rate was dialed. I recall Romic called the low speed compression a reactor valve but I have not spent enough time on a Romic to compare it to an RP23. The Spot is an 05 HL.

Yay! Bikes !
    I might be alone here, but I really liked my Romic shock back in the day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick.
    I might be alone here, but I really liked my Romic shock back in the day.
    Ditto, nothing wrong with the Romic. Sure the RP3 is lighter and can provide a more XC feel, but the Romic is a decent shock.

We still have no idea what the price is, so maybe he wait and get exactly what he wants. There are a lot of used 5 Spot out there right now. On another note, I would take a used 5 Spot over most other brand new bikes. I guess that is why I still have an '03 Spot and just upgrade parts every now and then.

TG

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How much platform can you get out of the Romic ? If you run heavy on the compression does it kill small bump compliance - threshold ?

deez nuts

PM's

Hey Keen,

Check your pm's.

Shaft

Members who have read this thread: 0