mtbr member

Rode a Spot today...

back to back w/ the new Spesh Enduro-
    (I am officially 'bikeless' for the time being-sold both my FS bikes this past week to finance a turner)
    Now I actually have to pull the trigger-I have been leaning heavy towards the Pack since my 5" S-works Stumpy only lasted me 2 months (I felt like I was gonna crack that bike in half). My main delimma is that I can't find a built up Pack anywhere...so I am riding as many 5-6" bikes as I can to get a feel for the basic geometry, weight, feeling of a longer travel bike.
    The Spot was built kinda medium duty w/ the romic, maybe 29#ish. It accelerated super snappy, maybe even moreso than my 26# Stumpy...felt very nice. Hit a good 2 block, steep street up & then a looong staircase down, some small drops 1-2' flat. I really liked it, just need (want) more travel (however the romic seemed a little 'choppy' to me, maybe setup? or the nature of this shock?)
    The Enduro had the DHX-a spesh version (no b/o valve)& 36R Talas. This bike is prob around 32-33#? Felt very sluggish on the street, the climb up the road was slow & numb feeling, quite abit of bob even w/ full PP & smooth pedal strokes(the shock was set to my weight prior to ride, btw). Also, the 36 had to be pulled by hand back to full travel as well...
    Compared to the spot (which I know really isn't a comparison) the Enduro IMO felt extremely unresponsive to bursts of speed, and just plain heavy.
    I guess what I'm getting at that I am looking at building a Pack (RFX) kinda lite (but most likely w/ DHXc)...I just wonder if any of you Homers have tried the new Enduro? I know a 33# bike won't be 'snappy' but the Enduro just felt plain lifeless to me.
    Does your Pack fall somewhere between the 5-spot & a bike like the Enduro? or does is lean more towards one or the other in terms handling/bursts of pedalling/'heavy feeling-ness?'
    I know theres so many variables to this question w/ buildups, but any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Sorry guys, I am obviously having trouble putting down on paper the question thats in my mind, but do you get my basic drift? too many fermented beverages last nite...neurons aren't quite firing at full speed 2nite!

Thanks once again!

John
    Beer has food value. Food has no beer value.

mtbr member
    John, you'll have no worries with the 6-pack.

I don't ride nor have I ridden a pack BUT i did spend a while demoing bikes and I too tried out the Enduro and thought that 6" bikes weren't for me, just WAY to squishy (and heavy FEELING - regardless of the actual weight, the Enduro just FELT heavy)...And then I rode the Elsworth Moment (which for the purpose of this comparison could be considered similar to the Pack) and it was a completely diferent ride than the Enduro, it felt soo damn light and efficient, and there was no Bob, I wanted to buy the Moment right there and go try out all my favorite trails, but it felt just soo damn light and fast that I decided to get greedy and go for the Epiphany, figuring it would feel even faster at 2 pounds lighter with a similar design.

So my point is that 6" done right (like the 6-pack (from what i've read) and the Moment) can really give you a do-it-all set up). The brown santa will bring me my new Epiphany tommorrow, I'm a little nervous that I should have stuck with the Moment...we'll see.

Go for the Pack - the ICT/TNT really WORKS!!

-Pusher

Amphibious Technologies
    I agree with Pusher, the Pack will be somewhere in between the Enduro and the Spot. There are, however, a couple of caveats:

1. You can set-up the Spot with a relatively tall fork like the Pike, a coil shock, heavy wheels and tires and it will ride like a Pack. Keep in mind there is only about 1" difference in travel.

2. You can set-up the Pack light with light wheels & tires and relatively short (A-C) fork like the Pike, again, (it is on the short side for a Pack) and it will ride like the Spot.

I have both and I have to set-up the Spot light with air shock, air fork and light wheels and tires and the Pack will coil suspension and DH wheels and tires to differentiate the ride. The Pack, however, climbs very well for a relatively heavy 6" bike. Pack set-up light will be around 32lbs while the Spot around 29lbs.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 12-11-2005 at 08:57 AM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    I agree with Pusher, the Pack will be somewhere in between the Enduro and the Spot. There are, however, a couple of caveats:

1. You can set-up the Spot with a relatively tall fork like the Pike, a coil shock, heavy wheels and tires and it will ride like a Pack.
    just dont treat it like a pack, right aqua? as he put it, you can always "dummy down" a pack, like scuba also says, but to pretend a spot will take the abuse of a pack is only worth $600 on crash replacement when it breaks and break it will.

as a 3 turner owner for 10 years i can only say great things about my bikes and my relationship with these guys. they treat us like kings and that alone is worth my biz. take a look at the comments in here re: turner customer service and make yer call from there.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO

1. You can set-up the Spot with a relatively tall fork like the Pike, a coil shock, heavy wheels and tires and it will ride like a Pack. Keep in mind there is only about 1" difference in travel.

2. You can set-up the Pack light with light wheels & tires and relatively short (A-C) fork like the Pike, again, (it is on the short side for a Pack) and it will ride like the Spot.

I have both and I have to set-up the Spot light with air shock, air fork and light wheels and tires and the Pack will coil suspension and DH wheels and tires to differentiate the ride. The Pack, however, climbs very well for a relatively heavy 6" bike. Pack set-up light will be around 32lbs while the Spot around 29lbs.

While we are on the subject, what is the weight differance between the Pack & Spot , frame only , or with same shock ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    just dont treat it like a pack, right aqua? as he put it, you can always "dummy down" a pack, like scuba also says, but to pretend a spot will take the abuse of a pack is only worth $600 on crash replacement when it breaks and break it will.

as a 3 turner owner for 10 years i can only say great things about my bikes and my relationship with these guys. they treat us like kings and that alone is worth my biz. take a look at the comments in here re: turner customer service and make yer call from there.

Cool, great to hear! (I am looking for as many reasons as possible not to get the Nomad!)
    Kinda what u said scuba, I'll be building the Pack up lite-ish: Pike air (4.2# i think), DT swiss 5.1's on hopes, 2.1 rubbers for xc, 2.35 for the other stuff. I may even get a set of Mavic 717's or 4.1's to really make it a double duty bike. I do think I'm sticking w the DHX coil tho-you guys here & a few other boards have made it evident the Air is not the shock for high leverage bikes (for us approaching 200#) OR reliability (even the lbs has sent back both DHX-a they've sold on bikes!)

I have all but pulled the trigger on the pack, as I've got ALL the componenets sitting in my comp room-picked everything up few weeks back @ 20% off w/ Jenson juuuust in case (including an 06 pike air uturn-niiice parts on that fork). They are building up the 5.1's as we speak w/ some blue hope hubs...mmm

Oh yeah-I'll be getting a large, I'm 6' and looking at a FSA seatpost-it is 350mm- will that be enuf post for the large Pack? or do i need the 440mm post?

Guess I'll swing by the shop to order my ano gray pack-

Thanks once again!!

Jdub
    Last edited by Biker75; 12-11-2005 at 12:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

not sure

don't know the difference in the weight of the pipe- and linkage-work, but i think it's about a pound. anyone know for sure, as i'd also be interested? - and do the concerns above re the dhx-air apply to a 165lb rider?
    (sorry for thread hijack)

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaMan
    While we are on the subject, what is the weight differance between the Pack & Spot , frame only , or with same shock ?
    '05 5-Spot, small w/ DHX-A = 6.3lbs
    6-Pack, small with DHX-A = 8.2lbs

Amphibious Technologies
    Good Call. You can dress up a Pack any way you want. It's nice to have that option. And yes, DHX-coil is the way to go. Very easy to blow through travel of the DHX-A on a 3.1 leverage bike. I'm 140lbs and could easily blow through the DHX-A travel on my Pack. I think a DHX-A works fine, however, on the Spot (2.5 leverage ratio).

i think yer lookin at about a full pound diff int the dampers so theres still a pound left in the frames.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Quote Originally Posted by Biker75
    Cool, great to hear! (I am looking for as many reasons as possible not to get the Nomad!)
    Kinda what u said scuba, I'll be building the Pack up lite-ish: Pike air (4.2# i think), DT swiss 5.1's on hopes, 2.1 rubbers for xc, 2.35 for the other stuff. I may even get a set of Mavic 717's or 4.1's to really make it a double duty bike. I do think I'm sticking w the DHX coil tho-you guys here & a few other boards have made it evident the Air is not the shock for high leverage bikes (for us approaching 200#) OR reliability (even the lbs has sent back both DHX-a they've sold on bikes!)

I have all but pulled the trigger on the pack, as I've got ALL the componenets sitting in my comp room-picked everything up few weeks back @ 20% off w/ Jenson juuuust in case (including an 06 pike air uturn-niiice parts on that fork). They are building up the 5.1's as we speak w/ some blue hope hubs...mmm

Oh yeah-I'll be getting a large, I'm 6' and looking at a FSA seatpost-it is 350mm- will that be enuf post for the large Pack? or do i need the 440mm post?

Guess I'll swing by the shop to order my ano gray pack-

Thanks once again!!

Jdub
    good call on the dhx coil and the wheels sound, well, sound. the 350 s/post should be more than fine unless ya got legs like a water tower. now git down to the shop and get it on the way. you might have a bike to ride in a week or less. this is a purchase you will celebrate for the next 10 years.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    good call on the dhx coil and the wheels sound, well, sound. the 350 s/post should be more than fine unless ya got legs like a water tower. now git down to the shop and get it on the way. you might have a bike to ride in a week or less. this is a purchase you will celebrate for the next 10 years.

Thanks for the reply cactus,
    my inseam is like 32-33, so average i guess for a 6' dude. That FSA 350mm seatpost should work then.It looks cool w/ the little taper at the top, and different than the Thomsons everyone has-and very lite.
    According to the shop (the just talked to Turner on Friday) they have the front triangles for the Pack in both 05 and 06 gray, but no rear triangles yet. They are out of HL & don't have the TNT's yet supposedly. But I am gonna get it on order; I want this baby built & dialed in by February-last year in Feb there was NO rain all month (which is a miracle for outdoor pp - or curse for fire season- in W. Oregon).
    My first instinct (esp after seeing the pics from Jarrett) is the Ano gray, but anyone have a differing opinion on that?

Jdub

the color is all you man. i wanted blue, dt hates blue. hates it i say. anno may hold up better than paint but cant be touched up. some anno can fade under heavy uv's too. anno is about what, 1/4 maybe 1/2 lb lighter than paint? but if yer plan is to force me into a opinion, go anno. its just flat out cool. i shoulda however i dig my custom powdercoat blue streak rfx!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    the color is all you man. i wanted blue, dt hates blue. hates it i say. anno may hold up better than paint but cant be touched up. some anno can fade under heavy uv's too. anno is about what, 1/4 maybe 1/2 lb lighter than paint? but if yer plan is to force me into a opinion, go anno. its just flat out cool. i shoulda however i dig my custom powdercoat blue streak rfx!

Yes, your blue RFX is quite exquisite.
    Maybe I'll splurge on a Orange RFX...the ano orange was freaking sweet...wonder if the new pack will be avail in that??? hmmmmm

i have some good news pal. the pack has been renamed the rfx. same bike. now the bad news. if i remember it right, the rfx/pack only comes in green or grey anno. i looked for the thread with dt's color descriptions for each '06 model but came up short. the orange anno is a flux color i believe.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    "when it breaks and break it will."

What usally goes? I can take most anything but a head tube.

history shows the seat tube snaps in half below the main rocker pivot when pushed too hard. can ya handle that?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0