mtbr member
    Jun 2008

rockers - Turner Flux pre DW-Link

Alright - reached out to Turner and they don't seem to have these anymore. I have a 07 Flux and need to get the rockers for them.

I've got a beat on some rockers from a spot and pack, but my question is do all rockers from 06,07,08 turners basically work across their model lines that share a similar suspension setup?

There's a few threads here that talk about compatibility with spots and packs as it relates to the rockers, but nothing specific to the flux.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    You can run Flux rockers on a Spot
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Yeah, you can put Flux rockers on one of the other two but not the other way around. It may be a pita to get Flux rockers unless Turner gets one on trade in with a mangled front triangle. Leave a note with Turner to keep you in mind when that happens.

In the interim your best bet would be to find a local welder to fix them up or a local machine shop to replicate them ($$$). After welding they'll need to be heat treated.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

MW
    mtbr member
    There's a thread on this somewhere, but wasn't one iteration of the Spot rockers -very- close to matching the Flux rockers? No idea if that's factual or if they're maybe close-but-not-compatible? But if you end up needing a set of 5.3 Spot rockers, I have a set on the shelf. --Matt

MW
    mtbr member
    This was bugging me, so I went searching. Found it: http://forums.mtbr.com/7384945-post2.html. Worth reading.

Seems that the TNT-era Flux and Sultan shared rockers, though TS also speculates about running the Push Spot rockers. Enjoy.

--Matt

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Correct about the TNT Flux and Sultan sharing rockers I believe.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    I've got 5.1 5S rockers on my TNT Flux.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    MW - I will PM you about the 5.3 spot rockers.

I've also heard the sultan rockers should work on my Flux.... but apparently none of these rockers are available at turner, so I'm on a wait list with them.

mtbr member
    I'm 90% sure I still have a set of 07 Flux rockers. The left one has a hairline crack starting at the shock valve relief cutout. The right one is perfect.
    So ... if you only need the right one, I've got you covered.
    -Carlos

Bite Me.
    The 5.1 rockers should work on the Flux. I swapped them out on my Sultan with no issues, and the TNT Sultan used the same rockers as the Flux. I still have the 5.1s if you're interested -
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

MW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    The 5.1 rockers should work on the Flux. I swapped them out on my Sultan with no issues, and the TNT Sultan used the same rockers as the Flux. I still have the 5.1s if you're interested -
    Since this thread is still going, I wanted to add part of an email conversation with aa240sx . . .

Quote Originally Posted by mwnovak
    I -believe- the TNT Flux used a 6.5x1.5" shock to get 4" of travel, which means the stock Flux rockers gave a leverage ratio of 2.67:1. The TNT Spot used a 7.5x2" shock to get 5.3" of travel, meaning the 5.3 rockers have a leverage ratio of 2.65:1 . . . which is pretty darn close to your stock rockers (you'd lose all of 0.025" travel with the 5.3 rockers).

Where this gets messy is how the rockers may differ in their dimensions: differences in the overall length and (particularly) height of the rockers may make the swap either undesirable (in terms of subjective suspension quality, bottom bracket height, etc.) or simply untenable (in terms of tire/frame clearances). For instance, two old posts in MTBR (http://forums.mtbr.com/1451895-post22.html and http://forums.mtbr.com/1407576-post9.html) suggest nearly 1.25" difference in length between the Flux and 5.3 Spot rockers . . . which I find a little hard to believe, given how close the leverage ratios appear, but you can see how this starts to get a bit wonky.
    The 5.1 rockers from a Spot should have a leverage ratio of 2.55:1, suggesting that the 5.3 rockers might be the closer match to stock Flux rockers? (though we're ultimately talking about less than 1/8" difference in total travel)

This is mostly idle curiosity on my part, but I can't imagine this is the last time a TNT Flux or Sultan owner will find themselves in need of replacement rockers. Might be worth documenting how/if the 5.1 and 5.3 Spot rockers impact the Flux (travel, BB height, geometry, subjective quality of suspension travel, etc. etc. etc.).

Or maybe this info is "out there" already?

--Matt

Bite Me.
    The math gets real weird if you delve too deep. I can only say that the 5.1 rockers on the Sultan didn't really alter the ride that much and didn't create any problems with too much or too little travel - both the Flux and Sultan use a 6.5 x 1.5 inch stroke shock and each has 100mm of travel, so the swap worked just fine. If anything, I noticed a slight bit more plushness in the early part of the stroke, but it could have been the kool-aid too. When I ran the 5.5 rockers on the Sultan, there was more of an effect, but I also had issues with rear tire contact on the seat tube when running big tires. Bottom line is that the 5.1s are known to work fine if the standard Flux rockers can't be found. This thread is like old home week for non-DW Homers.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I find it hard to believe that a bike only 4 yrs old and the manufacturer has no replacement parts for them. But I don't blame Turner since they're a small co. and can't really afford to stock replacement parts for models they discontinued.

MW
    mtbr member
    Bottom line is that the 5.1s are known to work fine if the standard Flux rockers can't be found.
    Fair enough. Did you happen to grab comparative BB height and HA measurements with the 5.1 rockers? Again, merely curiosity on my part.

This thread is like old home week for non-DW Homers.
    If you think this is bad, I have a "2007/08 RFX FrankenTurner Documentary" thread in the works that should have folks rolling their eyes petty good. Though come to think of it, I guess the 2007/08 bikes are the most current production RFXs available.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

--Matt

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    Fair enough. Did you happen to grab comparative BB height and HA measurements with the 5.1 rockers? Again, merely curiosity on my part.

Nothing scientific - sorry. As near as I could tell there was no noticeable difference in either BB or HA. In theory the BB would raise a bit and the front end steepen, but the 5.1s are only slightly longer out the back and also off the front. I was trying to get a little more initial stroke compliance out of the RP23, which the rockers seemed to do - but the diff was not day and night by any means. I put the stock rockers back on for a few endurance races and the rear end felt a little tighter, so I just left them on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

TNT Flux and Sultan rockers are the same

2007 were the thinner "old" Flux design, like on the HL rear ends.
    2008 were the thicker design, much stronger, will fit earlier Flux frames, etc.

The 2007 and earlier rockers were prone to cracking at the air valve relief.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Turner Flux Rockers, Shock and HL Available

Reviving an old thread because my 2007 Flux is dead. It broke on the seat tube just above the shock mount, like many others before the switch to the down tube mount. It'd be nice to see the parts live on. I have a set of post-2008 Flux rockers (fits '05-'08), an original HL suspension (also fits old Burner V3 '02-'04, and Sultan V1 '07-'08), and a Pushed Monarch RT3(no scratches on shaft) for it. Open to offers and hard luck stories.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have a TNT Flux that will be traded in when I get my new Flux. Anyone out there looking for parts had better make sure that you are first on the list. It is a prototype Flux front triangle (supposed lighter tubes) and a Nitrous rear. I've never weighed just the frame, but it is light.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    First on what list?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xprmntl View Post
    First on what list?
    I believe whoever needs parts can get them from Turner on a first come first serve basis if they become available. Of course they are not free! People trade in their old Turner's regularly using the trade-in program.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nope, too much of a liability. Turner delivers all trade-ins to the recycler as scrap. Not sure if he'd take a front triangle such that the moving parts could be recycled prior to trade-in? That might be worth asking DT.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nope, too much of a liability. Turner delivers all trade-ins to the recycler as scrap. Not sure if he'd take a front triangle such that the moving parts could be recycled prior to trade-in? That might be worth asking DT.
    Huh? So how did I get a used Nitrous rear triangle when I broke my original two years ago? Does Turner just throw the rockers and other parts away? I can see throwing away bolts and bushings.
    Maybe Turner has changed their policy on the TNT models and you are in the know, but I don't see why Turner would offer such a high trade-in for scrap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    Huh? So how did I get a used Nitrous rear triangle when I broke my original two years ago? Does Turner just throw the rockers and other parts away? I can see throwing away bolts and bushings.
    Maybe Turner has changed their policy on the TNT models and you are in the know, but I don't see why Turner would offer such a high trade-in for scrap.
    I went back through my e-mails with Dave. You're right on the rears, as DT said, "if we take a trade-in, the frame is scrapped. If the rear end looks ‘OK’ we will keep it for a customer that may need one for crash damage."
    This may or may not include rockers...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hi, just sent you a PM

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Reviving an old thread because my 2007 Flux is dead. It broke on the seat tube just above the shock mount, like many others before the switch to the down tube mount. It'd be nice to see the parts live on. I have a set of post-2008 Flux rockers (fits '05-'08), an original HL suspension (also fits old Burner V3 '02-'04, and Sultan V1 '07-'08), and a Pushed Monarch RT3(no scratches on shaft) for it. Open to offers and hard luck stories.
    Just sent you a PM

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Kind of related. I sent a Pre Production 05' 6Pack with a 6Pack TNT rear and 5.5 rockers in on trade a few months ago. Just letting people know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Still available: post-2008 Flux rockers (fits '05-'08), an original HL suspension (also fits old Burner V3 '02-'04, and Sultan V1 '07-'08), and a Pushed Monarch RT3(no scratches on shaft) for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Still available: post-2008 Flux rockers (fits '05-'08), an original HL suspension (also fits old Burner V3 '02-'04, and Sultan V1 '07-'08), and a Pushed Monarch RT3(no scratches on shaft) for it.
    SOLD: Pushed Monarch RT3.

Rockers and HL rear triangle still available