Road trip Spotz and Ta- Mtbr.com
    trail fairy

Road trip Spotz and Ta

Spotz has been away i Japan for 3months missing his 5Spot big time so late last week he arrived back in country a little jet lagged, we had a Sunday ride at the poo, and he was feeling the pinch of not riding for sometime.
    So we hacked a plan together to do a quick road trip to the mecca, our moab or version of Vancouver, the famous or infamous Roto vegas or Whakarewa forest with its mixture of Redwoods and native NZ trees and fantastic single track.

To set the scene NZ has ben having a really **** time of the weather lately rain ran cold and storms and snow all over the place, ok we don't get snow quite like you guys, but many placs around the country when it have lost power, roofs roads etc, Tuesday was no different hurricane winds rain and more storms, so as ya do, the Spotz and Ta put our hatched plan into momentum, hit the road at 5.30 am in the Turnerbattle truck, picked up the spotz after he woke up shakey and headed south east for the Mecca.

The further we drove the better the conditions, we started to see the wind and dark clouds disapear behind us, 3/4 the way there around 1 1/2hrs driving we felt peckish stopped for for breaky, flat white, poached eggs and toast at a funky cafe, this is the Kiwi power mtb breaky. We scoffed that down and hit the road part 2, 1/2 hour later we dropped into the Roto vegas, clear day no rain but very cool single figures, good thing I packed the Skinz ohhh yeahh

Didn't get many pics o the road too busy steering, but heres some pix form the ride, after days weeks, months of this weather the trails were in mint condition just unbelievable, and we rode some new stuff which just added to the Stoke, I rode the Spot and fell for her again, always a good choice for a long 30plus km ride in terrain with a bit of flowing elevation.

Exit from Mad as ya don't, time for some piccy's

Spotz exciting the MAYD trail

Spotz & Ta & Spots together eek twas cold

Spotz at the Pond

5 Spots together ahh they play so nice together

bit of primo single track

Spotz exciting the Rollercoaster

more sweet trails

Spotz dragging the chain through the Be Rude Not to exit trail, I think the jet lag was catching him by now, i'd already had a near death experience with a tree but I won, slightly brusied shoulder but no sympathy please (HCHB ya know)

Spotz and the cheesy grin feeling the Stoke

We crusied back from the coaster through the pig track, down the piglet, into the ole diamondback trail sweet DJ berms and tables roots to pop off etc into the carpark, time to load up the TBT again and hit the road to the Cafe
    Um awesome food for lunch they do a wicked coffee smoothie lots of ice cream and double shotz tis the bomb gets ya wired for the drive home,
    eek 2hrs later it night time we hit the southern motorway traffic is crazy winds are hurricane, accidents all over the place, geez, drop the Spotz off at home, thing it took us longer on the motorway than it did to drive half way down the North Island

ta
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    you guys have the sweetest lookin trails! so well manicured and well built. a most excellent thread.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    When Barny and I bike-toured NZ, we spent a few days in Rotorua and actually rode a few of those trails just for kicks and giggles. We only had low-profile touring tires on our bikes, but the trails were mostly dry and pretty fun. The bubbling mud pits are definitely the attraction of the area, though. I was amazed to see a few sink-holes forming in people's backyards and kid's swingsets half submerged in boiling sulfur water.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

trail fairy
    Cheers CC there is allot of techy stuff on that ride I didn't get to capture but it sure is buff even the rutted sections, we were running some good tread me on 2.4/nobby nic and nev up front combo and Spots on 2.5 blue groove and 2.5 nev in rear but ya can easily ride XC tires here

Billy T,is very techy rooty and catch a few noobs out steep too, Chestnut, Rollercoaster are pretty quick as there names suggest, Hot X buns is another good workout and the Taniwha is the ole national DH trail is full on.

T yeah ya could quite easily ride the lower trails no probs on touring tires even i the wet the traction is pretty good or as good as it gets anywhere, there's allot of newer trails not on the maps the locals keep em tight so the traffic flow doesn't kill the trail flow, Be Rude not too is not as good as it was in its first few years, the flow is a little interrupted now and the tech sections have been groomed for the out of towners price of progress but now there are way better trails if ya know where to look.

We really should be down there every second week its so close and so good umm, maybe I should just move there, Im sure they need a MTB guide

Theyre geyers T vegas is full of them as ya described, I love the smell of that place it seems to clense the body, yeah lots of people have thermal pools or pipes spitting into the air, you stil seee crazy kiwi's walking around in barefeet in the middle of winter too, not case they have no shoes its just a kiwi thing.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

gnuH
    Great thread TA. I did the 40km Nduro a few weeks back and loved it. Rode most of the tracks you mention plus a few hellish climbs. Definitely 575 & Spot territory!

Hopefully getting back down to Rotorua on the 28th. If not, might see you out at Riverhead for the Freerid'n mudfest (got some crisp new 2.35 Minions), and maybe Spotz too...

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwirider
    Great thread TA. I did the 40km Nduro a few weeks back and loved it. Rode most of the tracks you mention plus a few hellish climbs. Definitely 575 & Spot territory!

Hopefully getting back down to Rotorua on the 28th. If not, might see you out at Riverhead for the Freerid'n mudfest (got some crisp new 2.35 Minions), and maybe Spotz too...
    Cheers KR , sounds good, how did u go in the Nduro series should have PMd me I would have been keen to ride with ya in the series, definitley killer.

Oh yeah 575 and Spot eat that place for long rides, I enjoy hamering Billy T, Chestnut Rollercoaster and Taniwha on the RFX though, shes spits out BT, ohh the 66 just loves that trail, but I might go DH on the Taniwha next time its pretty steep and narly, depends on the ride but if ya want to go up and down then 575/Spot is definitley the choice, 35km down there on the RFX is a big effort with a 66.

Be good to hook up at Whakarewa or Riverhaead sometime for a ride though keep in touch.

Cheers KR

Ta

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Great review TA. Thanks for the welcome back and trip down to the arctic south. Next time we will have to have Momentus join us and xcl a few meetings. It was cold but the trails were fantastic - photos (especially yours) just don't do it justice...next time I'll bring the sake. Cheers again.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by spotz
    Great review TA. Thanks for the welcome back and trip down to the arctic south. Next time we will have to have Momentus join us and xcl a few meetings. It was cold but the trails were fantastic - photos (especially yours) just don't do it justice...next time I'll bring the sake. Cheers again.
    Cheers spotz, great to have ya back and get a road trip to mecca mtb, yeah bit cold on the southern parts for sure but helped us ride briskly for an extended period, good food good riding good company and the Spots, was nice to shake the cobwebs off the Spots and let em loose down there

Def we need to get the Mo there next time and spend some extended time down there, finish off in the thermal pools etc, we need a riding photographer those photos don't do justice to the terrain we were riding, all good keeps it to locals and ourselves a bit longer , plenty for everyone there, even when in peak ya hardly ever run into anyone on the trails esspecially the more techy ones.

Let start planning again, road trips rule

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

It's carbon dontcha know.
    That picture 6 is one serious bench cut!

Members who have read this thread: 0