mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Road Bike shoe & pedal question

I recently got a new road bike and have been taking my Shimano XTR pedals off my mtn bike and riding my road bike with those pedals and my mtn shoes. I was trying to decide if it's worth getting a new set of road shoes and road specific pedals or if I should just get another pair of mtn XTR or XT pedals and use them on the road bike with my mtn shoes. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes as I'm a newbie to the road biking world and was wondering if anyone could chime in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just used my XC shoes and put some SPD pedals on my road bike when I had one. I am sure if you decide that road biking is for you, you will want to buy specific shoes, and pedals, but I would try the SPD route since it is easy.

Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Locomoto
    I recently got a new road bike and have been taking my Shimano XTR pedals off my mtn bike and riding my road bike with those pedals and my mtn shoes. I was trying to decide if it's worth getting a new set of road shoes and road specific pedals or if I should just get another pair of mtn XTR or XT pedals and use them on the road bike with my mtn shoes. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes as I'm a newbie to the road biking world and was wondering if anyone could chime in.

mtbr member
    used to be that you could buy light weight one sided ultegra spd pedals...

mtbr member
    The thing that sucks about road shoes and pedals is that the shoes are worse than useless for walking in, and the pedals typically don't work at all with normal shoes (although most clipless MTB pedals don't either).

Road shoes and pedals won't really make you faster than a stiff-soled MTB shoe and pedals, so you have to decide what it's worth for a very incremental improvement, and having that roadie look.

I'm probably a 50/50 road/MTB rider. I love my Speedplays, and I have both Sidi and Carnac road shoes, which last a long time. My MTB shoes take a beating, so I tend to go with cheaper Shimano or other less gucci brands.
    This computer system is not intended for use in the operation of nuclear facilities. -Mac

jrm
    mtbr member

Not really

Just buy another set of pedals.

tg
    mtbr member

Seedplay

Frogs for Road and MTB

mtbr member
    I ran the Shimano PD A520 on my road bike, and used my mountain Sidi shoes. And these pedals are fairly inexpensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think I need to Upgrade
    How many miles per ride are you going to do on the road?

If you are doing 15+ miles per ride and riding road multiple days per week you will bennifit from road shoes. How? You are going to have better pressure distrubution for your feet, now you are asking what difference that is going to make. Well imagine standing on a flat rock that is the size of a quarter, now a flat rock that is the size of 3 quarters put together. Which one is easier and distributes the pressure better? On a road bike because you are sitting in the same position and doing the same motion over and over for a long period of time without much variation in position pressure distribution makes a huge difference. A couple of other things that come along with the larger surface area are stability and stiffness. Road shoes compared to Mtn shoes at the same price/performance point will be stiffer and more stable on the bike.

~~~~~~~
    there's a reason the shoes are different. road shoes are better for riding a road bike.

azspeekfreak is making the most important point- lots more area for weight distribution. beyond that- if you're gonna race, the pedal clearance issue is big. being in a corner and having your pedal hit the ground in a big group is scary- for everyone.

that said- when i was using one of my road bikes to commute i always had mountain pedals and shoes on- getting off and on the train in road shoes was scary. on the other hand- i raced a few single speed races in my road shoes with road pedals because the power transfer and comfort is way better.

if my funds were limited- i'd say not worth it. if i was looking at lots of road miles and had money to burn- definitely worth it.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! NO COMPARISON - Get the ROad stuff

Seriously, not sure how much experience the other posters have with road, but the difference is night and day between running the stiffest MTB shoes/pedal as compared to running even middle of the line Road shoes/pedals. Seriously, try to borrow a pair from a friend and give them a try, once you do you'll be getting a set immediately. NO COMPARISON.

Only bad thing, as said is the shoe/cleat combo is deadly to walk in and takes a bit of use getting used to getting clipped in. As to the comment about them not being "pop to the corner, flats friendly" BS, I find them much more comfortable just crusing around using flip flops.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    there's a reason the shoes are different. road shoes are better for riding a road bike.

azspeekfreak is making the most important point- lots more area for weight distribution. beyond that- if you're gonna race, the pedal clearance issue is big. being in a corner and having your pedal hit the ground in a big group is scary- for everyone.

that said- when i was using one of my road bikes to commute i always had mountain pedals and shoes on- getting off and on the train in road shoes was scary. on the other hand- i raced a few single speed races in my road shoes with road pedals because the power transfer and comfort is way better.

if my funds were limited- i'd say not worth it. if i was looking at lots of road miles and had money to burn- definitely worth it
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Echoing what azspeedfreak said; if you're doing any kind of mileage at all on a road bike your feet will thank you. I rode eggbeaters for a few years on my road bike with road shoes and used to get vicious hot spots. Pony up for some pedals and shoes your feet will thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    get a half decent pair of road shoes from nashbar - plenty of brands are always on sale and some road pedals - I have tried several types of road pedal and am a big fan of look keo pedals.

Members who have read this thread: 0