Rims for my new RFX ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rims for my new RFX ?

Just purchased an 08' RFX frame to replace my Blur LT. My BLT had 36h Sun S.O.S. wheelset - liitle overkill for the bike. I still thinkl they are a tad overkill / heavy (2250g) for my RFX intented for trail use. I run 2.35 Kenda tires and wonder if XM719's would be wide enough ? Thanx

banned
    You NEED wheels from Ellsworth. Go to the site and click "wheels", then watch the video. They are handcrafted in the USA in a Buddhist temple in Taiwan. And no, I'm not kidding about what is implied in the video.

As far as wheels go, the combo of the last couple years always includes the DT 5.1. Many will come out of the woodwork to speak about how solid they've been. I have nearly two years on mine with only a minor true up front. I think depending on the hubs (I'm on ProII), one can come in at just barely 2000gm or below.

mtbr member
    Funny, I just ordered an 08 RFX to replace my Nomad.

As JC said, the 5.1's are great rims, I've had two sets now, one still in use.

I currently have two wheelsets in rotation, both built with the exact same hubs, spokes and nips (King HD/20mm TA, DT comps, brass nips). One set is built with DT 5.1's, the other set with Syncros DS28's. The DS28's are stronger and more for my heavy duty riding with the bigger drops/jumps, etc. 5.1's 500g each, and the DS28's 550g each IIRC.

I've posted it up before, but the weight difference in the two sets was 78 grams or something like that. Most likely due to the fact the DS28 rims are taller, where you can use shorter spokes, thus more than likely making a stiffer wheel too. The shorter spokes also help to offset the added weight of the DS28 rims somewhat as well.

Something to consider.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    I've been ruuning 719s on my '02 RFX for the last 3 years or so. Overall, pretty impressed. The front is still in good nick, although the back is now virtually dead. They've taken a real beating (I'm not heavy, but I do ride hard). Mostly they've been used in the Peak district (UK) which is pretty much solid high speed rockfests.As a result the rear rim is pretty much one big flat spot. Add in a bout of laziness (couldn't be bothered to change wheels for a FR session) when I cased the crap out of a wooden landing transition, which put in a 1" wobble (stomped out, then trued up later, still fine 6 months on), and yeah I'm pretty satisfied with them.

I'm quite tempted to try some Stans Flow rims next - wider profile and tubeless friendly is quiet appealing - just not sure how easily dinged they are.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    You NEED wheels from Ellsworth. Go to the site and click "wheels", then watch the video. They are handcrafted in the USA in a Buddhist temple in Taiwan. And no, I'm not kidding about what is implied in the video.
    So let me get this straight...TE's wheels have rims, spokes, hubs, bearings that have more than 3 balls, and they are handbuilt by the Tiawanese? Revolutionary! Not sure I have seen any other wheel builder use these techniques. TE better get a patent for that.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    So let me get this straight...TE's wheels have rims, spokes, hubs, bearings that have more than 3 balls, and they are handbuilt by the Tiawanese? Revolutionary! Not sure I have seen any other wheel builder use these techniques. TE better get a patent for that.

"Wheels and frames are the most important part of a bike"
    Holy sh1t is that guy for real? Someone should peel his douchey mustache off.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Elitest thrill junkie
    Lightest in the world!

Vertical compliance!

Ok, I wasn't even finished with the video when I posted that, but OMG, a Buddist temple in Taiwan? You've got to be ****ing kidding me. Check out the taiwanese lady that's thinking "why am I wearing an ellsworth shirt, and who is ellsworth, and how do you pronounce it?". Thank god I didn't have food in my mouth, cause I would have spit it out at that point.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Provided you're able to hang in there, the part where he tries to cover the fact that they're not made in the USA is the best.

I also recommend he learn a bit about Buddhism.

Perhaps he should get off the internet because his general manager has been getting his ass handed to him on that forum for a few weeks now.

Making fat cool since '71
    I realize this response is neither provocative or controversial...but Rhynolite XL's have been my fave for years. They are not the lightest, but they are wide and strong as hell. I've got just over two years on a set laced to King hubs. The front is all the same spokes and been trued a couple times. I've relaced all of the rear spokes once and replaced a couple spokes a couple times along the way but the hoop is still kosher. Not bad for vanilla ice cream hoops that dont brake the bank and don't weigh a ton while on a fat assed rider's bike and seeing lots of jumps/drops/wrecks/bacon.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Team Sanchez
    Another vote for the DT 5.1's. Get em laced to the DT 340's. My little bro has been running these on his 08 for several months now, and he is a big boy @ 250 lbs.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

TLL
    mtbr member
    I'm running WTB LaserDisc FRs laced to Hadley hubs. 30mm wide, but a bit porky at 570g, at least when compared to the 5.10s. But they have been bombproof so far, and have required no truing to date. With the Hadleys and Comps they are right around 2200g.

"Tony, why wheels?"

"Our bearings have the most balls per bearing, and are hand packed."

"We add 30g in rim weight, but save 200g in tire weight. Aluminum weighs less then rubber."
    Last edited by TLL; 07-23-2008 at 08:58 AM.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

TLL
    mtbr member
    . . . . .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Been researching my wheelset build for a month now. I purchased a set of King hubs (rear HD shell & Funn bolts) & DB spokes but just get the trail bike vs. AM bike confusion ??? I have built the RFX as a trail bike - Pike Dual air fork, RP 23 rear, 7" brakes, Kenda 2.35 BG front , 2.35 SB8 rear. My usual riding has only small jumps but fast rocky sections. My only concern with the XM 719's is the width for a 2.35 large volume Kenda ( I weigh 205lb. if that matters). I know they physically fit but many bikes ago, running XC rims, always resulted in pinch flats I later attributed this to narrower rims. If I was going the 500g rim route I like the WTB Laser Disc trail rim (27mm @ 500g). 5.1's are popular but any hint of softness has me turning away. Another softy - I had Easton Havoc's which get rave reviews but they dented and dinged like no tommorow for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Mavic 721. I wouldn't even bother w/ anything else. Light enough and plenty tough for dual Trail/DH use. If I could build trail wheels up I'd do the 719.

Ellsworth AM for $1K ? I find it hard to believe those would outperform 721/Hadley/DB/Brass handbuilt (to the point I would notice anyway). Plus,you better be able to back those babies up w/ some nasty riding ability to be able ju$tify it.
    Last edited by greenmacheen; 07-23-2008 at 09:30 AM.
    All about the ride

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Another vote for the DT 5.1's. Get em laced to the DT 340's. My little bro has been running these on his 08 for several months now, and he is a big boy @ 250 lbs.
    Damn, EL C! That's what I got on my RFX. I guess I will never have to buy another set of wheels again as your "little" bro has about 75lbs on me
    Astigmatic Visionary

MK_
    carpe maņana
    You guys just barely missed out.
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...uct=22646&cat=

_MK

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Tiss'er, don't forget: TE made it very clear that tires are part of the wheel.

And he said they stay: "really, really true."

I guess I've have missed the boat asI have only "really true" wheels from Larry
    Astigmatic Visionary

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Tiss'er, don't forget: TE made it very clear that tires are part of the wheel.

And he said they stay: "really, really true."
    Too bad that word can't be applied to him in any way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Lightest in the world!

Vertical compliance!
    That's all well and good, but the ability of the Buddhist monks to align the decals correctly is what really sets these wheels apart.

This one is priceless. Someone should download the video from the site before TE removes it and denies it ever existed.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Mavic 721. I wouldn't even bother w/ anything else. Light enough and plenty tough for dual Trail/DH use

Each to their own I guess - 721s are my choice for super unburstable DH wheels! Noticeably more effort to get them spun up to speed than the 719s (IMO).

Over this side of the pond DT5.1s have a pretty serious reputation for dinging (too) easily. That said, they also have a rep for staying roughly wheel shaped when the equivalent mavic has cracked and folded...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Edwards
    Mavic 721. I wouldn't even bother w/ anything else. Light enough and plenty tough for dual Trail/DH use

Each to their own I guess - 721s are my choice for super unburstable DH wheels! Noticeably more effort to get them spun up to speed than the 719s (IMO).

Over this side of the pond DT5.1s have a pretty serious reputation for dinging (too) easily. That said, they also have a rep for staying roughly wheel shaped when the equivalent mavic has cracked and folded...
    Those were the 6.1's in an initial run in 2006.

It's now 2008.

trail fairy
    Um I been thinking about this one for ahwile, Im dam lucky I can'rt do anything at the mo otherwise I might get a complex over it!

My DT5.1s are lokinjg pretty rough, but still true no dents, gouges and scapes yup, not sure if I'd get em again or not

I like my Suns but I might like to play with UST again and Im over fricken rim strips and tires or rims which are hard to swap over!

I haven't tried UST on Suns, some USTs on DT 5.1s are ok others a beyotch

DH no issue, 823s/MTXs
    AM um DS 28 sounds interesting!
    Tscheezy reckons the Stans ding real easy So ahh that would been my other choice, so who knows, got a just go try em I guess!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    That's all well and good, but the ability of the Buddhist monks to align the decals correctly is what really sets these wheels apart.

This one is priceless. Someone should download the video from the site before TE removes it and denies it ever existed.
    Well, in case you missed it, there's pretty much a bloodbath going on over at the EW forum in several threads right now, including the one about wheels.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Those were the 6.1's in an initial run in 2006.

It's now 2008.
    And they still dent easily, albeit not as easily. They are designed to dent to prevent pinch flats during a race.

_MK

TLL
    mtbr member
    Well, in case you missed it, there's pretty much a bloodbath going on over at the EW forum in several threads right now, including the one about wheels.
    Yeah, been holding back from posting there because I'm afraid I might catch some sort of disease. . .

Oh, and the people in the vids are not monks, and Ells only implies that monks lace his wheels. Most practicing Buddhists won't care, as they understand that karma does come into play here . . .

All I can say is that I hope Tony doesn't mind dung.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm just saying I run 721s for many years an beat the crap out of them w/ Kenda Nev 2.35 single ply and regular tubes w/ zero issues. I've DHd them a couple days this year too boot. I simply got lazy/anxious and didn't switch to my DH tires. The 721/Kenda did not get any special treatment either. I ride NE which is nasty roots and rocks @ ~ 35-40psi all day---> no sweat. All my wheels are Go-Ride built so a shout to the builders there as well.

Not saying there isn't a better product. But 721s have killed it ride after ride, season after season. Truly go anywhere do anything (and that is RFX to the core)
    All about the ride

Members who have read this thread: 1