MW
    mtbr member

riddle me this: marz shock + marz spring = :(

No picture to post up right now, but lemme float this . . .

I've got a 7.875x2.25in Marzocchi Roco TST coil shock for my RFX.

I picked up a used 2.25in 550# Marzocchi coil spring (part 5141607 with a BTI SKU of 89355, according to the bag it came in).

And as far as I can figure it, the spring will not fit the shock: it's about 1/4 to 3/8in too long, preventing me from installing the retainer at the bottom of the shaft even with the preload adjuster spun all the way back.

Now, I know you can get into some fitment trouble when mixing/matching springs and shocks from different manufacturers, and I know that free lengths get longer as spring rates go up . . . but I figured a Marz 2.25in shock plus a Marz 2.25in coil was a safe bet.

Anyone else run into this? Does this make even a little bit of sense? Have I actually, finally, for real gone around the proverbial bend on this one?

--Matt

mtbr member
    We had a 650# spring that had to be compressed to remove from a Roco. Looks like for the higher rate springs you have to compress them first. Most use a bunch of tie wraps to hold it. Not very safe but if you do a search that is what you will find as a cure for the problem.

I'm not saying you have the right spring but I suspect it is correct.

MW
    mtbr member
    Hey fermenter. Thanks for the response. I definitely hadn't searched on this (should have, my bad), but the whole thing just seems bizarro. I'll see what I can dig up. --Matt

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    I have an 06 marz rocco RC coil (7.5 x 2) and I had to compress the spring to get it on. I used a crap-load of zip ties to hold it compressed.

Yeah, it's a PIA but it can be done.
    MCM# 2007.1

MK_
    carpe maņana
    There were very few springs in my experience, regardless of manufacturer, which I didn't have to compress to get the collar on. As far as I know you have to be on a light side of the spectrum to get off easy and not have to do any compressing. I've been able to get away with a vice to compress the spring, typically.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

MW
    mtbr member
    Okay, thanks for the feedback here. This is my first go around with a coil shock, and I didn't realize this was a thing. Is it specific to the Roco or pretty typical of coils in general?

_MK, after compressing with a vice, what do you use to keep the spring compressed while you install it on the shock?

I ended up using a threaded rod and fender washers (aka "poor man's headset press") to compress the spring and about half a dozen zip ties to restrain it. Got the job done . . . but dang that's a nervous few moments handling a spring in compression like that.

--Matt

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I haven't had that trouble, but I've only used coil shocks 8.5" or longer.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    _MK, after compressing with a vice, what do you use to keep the spring compressed while you install it on the shock?
    Well, I actually first slip the spring onto the shock, then put the reservoir side of the shock in to the jaw of the vice (I have these rubber protectors on the jaws) then the spring contacts the other jaw. I then very carefully work the vice up until I have enough clearance to slip on the collar.

It isn't a safe method by any means.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    I have never had to compress any spring for any shock I have had. It sounds to me like people are buying springs based on what their claimed stroke length is rather than what the ACTUAL free length of the spring is. The stroke length stated on springs is merely a guideline as to what shock it will/might fit from what I have found. Just the Nukeproof site alone shows you that there is a huge variance in spring free lengths for a given stroke length.

For Ti springs you can sometimes go a stroke length 'shorter' than your shocks stroke length. The spacing between the coils is greater, thus lowering the chance of the spring binding at full compression.

Buzz

MW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    It sounds to me like people are buying springs based on what their claimed stroke length is rather than what the ACTUAL free length of the spring is.
    I get that, but I'd be wary of buying springs with a shorter stated stroke than my shock in order to get an acceptable free length (ti coils aside): I assume those springs would bind before the shock reached full compression, limiting overall suspension travel and giving a harsh bottom out. That's no good.

For what it's worth, I've been shopping springs by both stated stroke and free length . . . and with this Marz spring, I didn't adequately account for just how much space is needed to install that bottom collar. That's on me, for sure.

But that a 2.25 Marz spring won't fit a 2.25 Marz shock without "pre-compressing" the spring? I'm not saying it's the end of the world--there are workarounds to be had, clearly--but I'm also not loving on it.

--Matt

It's carbon dontcha know.
    You're preloading that spring by a lot if it really needs 3/8" compression to fit. This is eating into the springs possible stroke length which again might limit you from full travel. You've compressed the spring 3/8" but the shock will still want to compress 2.25" which might be too much for the spring to handle. On top of what it will do to the beginning stroke small bump sensitivity.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

MW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    You're preloading that spring by a lot if it really needs 3/8" compression to fit.
    Once installed, the spring is loose on the shock body with the preload adjuster spun all the way back (i.e. it's not preloaded at all). ::shrug::