Dream it, Do it.

RFX vs Flux ride impressions?

RFX vs Flux ride impressions?-turner-flux-grand-ridge.jpg

Anyone else have ride time on both the new RFX as well as the Flux?

I rode the medium Flux last year at Interbike and have been riding a large Flux with a 40mm stem (compared to the 70mm stem that is the standard spec). At 5'9", I fit on either the medium or the large frame size. What I've found is that the smaller Flux size with the standard 70mm stem steers considerably quicker than the larger size with a shorter stem.

Compared to the RFX, the Flux has a more firmly sprung feel though it's difficult to definitely say whether one climbs faster than the other. The RFX definitely feels like a stouter, more stable descending bike, but the Flux' quick steering is a plus in tighter trails. On a recent ride with the Flux, I set a Strava PR on a short section of tight & twisty trail without really trying likely due to the fast turning nature of the Flux.
    Last edited by Spectre; 02-28-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Wheelbase of the Medium vs Large makes the difference here? (Delta in F-C)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

Committed
    Are you running 130mm or 140mm pike?

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheezwhip View Post
    Wheelbase of the Medium vs Large makes the difference here? (Delta in F-C)
    I think so. Difference in wheelbase is 1.7 inches or 41mm. The Large is 3.6% longer than the Medium. It is good to know that for a rider that can fit on a smaller or a larger size that upsizing with a shorter stem yields a more stable bike while a smaller bike with the standard longer stem tends toward being more nimble.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Are you running 130mm or 140mm pike?
    130mm Pike.

Other specs that differ from the standard build kit are:

DH-F 2.3 front tire on Knight Composites Enduro wheel
    Nobby Nic 2.35 rear tire on Knight Composites Enduro wheel
    Standard 785mm handlebar with a shorter 40mm stem
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It might also have something to do with that wide bar on the short stem.

Elitest thrill junkie
    As you move up in bike weight and travel, it takes a significantly more aggressive/chunky trail to see faster times from said bike IME. So it takes a pretty crazy gnarly trail to really favor an RFX as far as speed is concerned, average that is. Otherwise you'll ALWAYS be faster on the bike that goes uphill just a tiny bit faster, because you spend so much more time on uphills and flats as compared to true "can't pedal any faster" downhills.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by marinjp View Post
    It might also have something to do with that wide bar on the short stem.
    Both the Flux that I rode last year and this Flux have the same bar width.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I think so. Difference in wheelbase is 1.7 inches or 41mm. The Large is 3.6% longer than the Medium. It is good to know that for a rider that can fit on a smaller or a larger size that upsizing with a shorter stem yields a more stable bike while a smaller bike with the standard longer stem tends toward being more nimble.
    Something seams to be off hear. Head angle and Chainstay length are the same between all sizes and the Virtuall Top Tube being a difference of 0.9" between Med and Large but a difference of 1.7" in wheelbase then when we look at the large vs the extra large. The extra large VTT is again 0.9" longer but the wheelbase only gets 0.5" longer? The dimensions posted is off somewhere. Turner has some issues with the dimensions listed. Problems with head tube and stack dimensions as well. Not trying to take anything away from Turner I am sure it is just an oversight. Been riding Turner since 2001. Two of the best things to do is go ride one from DirtMerchant as well as watch Dave's video. Any time making a bike choice first define your needs and wants. As Dave says wether its the Flux or RFX you can bulid them lighter or heavier, closer to together of farther apart. The best thing to do is just get one of each.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHRracer View Post
    Something seams to be off hear. Head angle and Chainstay length are the same between all sizes and the Virtuall Top Tube being a difference of 0.9" between Med and Large but a difference of 1.7" in wheelbase then when we look at the large vs the extra large. The extra large VTT is again 0.9" longer but the wheelbase only gets 0.5" longer? The dimensions posted is off somewhere. Turner has some issues with the dimensions listed. Problems with head tube and stack dimensions as well. Not trying to take anything away from Turner I am sure it is just an oversight. Been riding Turner since 2001. Two of the best things to do is go ride one from DirtMerchant as well as watch Dave's video. Any time making a bike choice first define your needs and wants. As Dave says wether its the Flux or RFX you can bulid them lighter or heavier, closer to together of farther apart. The best thing to do is just get one of each.
    Possibly. I'm going off of the figures on the Turner Bikes' Web site. In any case, my point is that I've compared the ride and handling of two Flux bikes of a smaller and a larger size & getting the larger size is a way to get closer to the stability of an RFX with the shorter travel of a Flux.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes