mtbr member
    Jan 2008

RFX V4.0 headset options?

The stock FSA and its TH-073 bearings don't seem very resilient to UK riding. Does anyone know of a better sealed alternative?

Better yet, does anyone make a reducer so I can fit a Hope or Chris King in there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cane creek bearings are compatible with the FSA cups that are already installed in your frame. That your path of least resistance.

The only manufacturer that I'm aware of that makes cups in that size is Works components, and they only offer it in an angleset.

I'm not aware of any reducer to run more common sized cups, but I would imagine that someone handy with a lathe could turn down your existing cups into reducers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'll try those cane creek bearings. They do appear to have top and bottom seals rather than bottom and an inner gap.

I've seen the works components stuff and have asked if they can do a zero offset. If they did half a degree I might even try it backwards.

The idea of getting the existing cups turned down is a good one though.

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    Is it the IS52/40 bearing from Cane Creek that fits the lower cups?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think it will be. Needs a 36/45 contact angles though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Organ View Post
    Is it the IS52/40 bearing from Cane Creek that fits the lower cups?
    You want 41mm/52mm upper/lower. And as mentioned above, 36x45 degree contact angles. Several retailers sell these as a set.

You might find that you have an option between CC's 40 series and 110 series. The latter have a 110 year warranty. Sounds like that might be the right choice for you and your riding conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Committed
    Contact Turner for 110 replacement bearings for the stock fsa headset. They work with zero degree (stock) headsets only.

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    We know the RFX uses ZS49/ZS62 cups, but only FSA (and maybe wheels mfg?) make a a ZS62 full lower set. However, its not like the bearing cartridges are different between ZS and IS so I'm just trying to find out if a cartridge from CC marketed toward an IS headtube will fit the ZS62 cup. From what I'm reading above It is the CC IS52 bearing cartridge.

I ordered upper IS41 and a lower IS52 cartridges (with the standard 36/45 angles). Those should fit the ZS cups from FSA (crossing fingers). If they do I'll post back the exact part numbers in case anyone else wants Cane Creek bearings.

If Turner has done exactly what I've done and bought the appropriate sized 110 cartridge it would have been a lot easier to call them. I guess I learn the hard way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Hi Organ. News about the CC bearings. Do they work?
    Thanks
    Simone

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    Yes! The ZS cups from FSA will fit any IS52 lower and IS41 upper bearing cartridge. I purchased this exact set for those that are interested:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A couple things worth noting. The crown race from CC has a little rubber lip on the edge so an IS52 lower set is a great replacement. With the IS41 upper set you can use the bearing but not the bearing cap (IS41 cap not the same as ZS49 cap). The FSA cap still works of course. If you want the bling of the cane creek bearing cap they do make a ZS49 set.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thanks Organ!