RFX Questions...- Mtbr.com
    Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

RFX Questions...

Greetings,

1. Is the RP23 on the 2008 RFX the same eye to eye as the 2007 Spot? If I ordered the CCDB option on the 2008 RFX could I use the CCDB on my 2007 Spot?

2. If I go CCDB on the shock of the RFX would the Zoke 66 RC3 be too much fork for it? Is the Lyrik Coil Uturn to little fork for a heavy RFX?

3. If you had to choose between a new 2008 RFX and a used 2006 RFX, which would you choose assuming that you are building a coil suspended bike (not air)?

Thanks,
    Bobo

(Stuck in perpetual UGI)

FM
    mtbr member
    1. No
    2. No, no
    3. '07+ is a better design, regardless of use

not so super...
    FM nailed it.
    Nothing to see here.

No, that's not phonetic
    Ssinga nailed it.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

trail fairy
    1: dodgy no
    2: dodgy no
    3: dodgy nailed [ the 06 is the 09 RFX ]
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    1: dodgy no
    2: dodgy no
    3: dodgy nailed [ the 06 is the 09 RFX ]
    Soooo, get the 2006 RFX? IYHO?

bobo

Maui Grown
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    1. No
    2. No, no
    3. '07+ is a better design, regardless of use
    Why is the '07+ a better design? Please elaborate. I'm interested too.
    Thanks!

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN

bobo
    Yep!

Mine has that exact setup. Get the 66RC3 and lower the travel. Unless you like it raked out, but that is definitely no fun on the climbs.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN

bobo
    Ahh no 2006 has been and gone and as much as I love that mod, too many varibles for me to say that to anyone!

You have to work out whats best for you now! Im not sure ya riding what ya like, wether ya want one now, DT said it maybe sometime next year I don'nt think they wil be available 1/1/09 but then I don't know that for sure!

Dude, can help ya with comps, but another mans passion is his own!
    Nothing wrong with the 08 though imo!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    Sep 2005
    Would be different, but he is asking for your opinion. What would you choose TA if the 2009 weren't an option? 07 or 06 with a coil setup?

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Would be different, but he is asking for your opinion. What would you choose TA if the 2009 weren't an option? 07 or 06 with a coil setup?
    Ok, um hard call honestly at the time I brought mine if I could go back I'd still buy the 06!

Now probably 07/08 as mine will be more AM than AM/FR and instead I would add a HL/DHR to the stable!

Right now if I could I'd rather add an HL than say replace my 06 with an 08 or 09 RFX!

I do like FMs setup on his 07RFX, but ya can do that with an 08 theyre the same frame! I'm gonna try this on my 06 for giggles unfortunatley be a long time before I get to test her so I will only be able to give angles dimensions!

El C has proven the 07/08 cred in durability so thats no issue for me, I can't see how ya can go wrong, I haven't ridden the 08 unfortuantely so a direct comparison for me anyway is not fair, but I love my 06, I have no reason to upgrade it I'm happy at some stage to have an 08 to do a direct comparison in the future though with all the franken options LOL..

Buy the an 08 if its between the 2 would be my suggestion unless ya thinking of a holdover till 09 comes out, then ya got to weigh up resell of the 06 vs resell of an 08 umm..

But then I do love the badd ass plain looks of the 06s and earlier packs sorta unrefined refined hardcore weapons, the newbies are almost too nice

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    Sep 2005
    Well said. I think that he is looking into which one would crossover better AM to FR. The HL is not mentioned as an option (probably poor like me). Like you, I would have the HL and a late model RFX in a perfect world. As is, this has been the perfect bike for me.

Psst....nice tiptoe!

trail fairy
    Well said. I think that he is looking into which one would crossover better AM to FR. The HL is not mentioned as an option (probably poor like me). Like you, I would have the HL and a late model RFX in a perfect world. As is, this has been the perfect bike for me.

Psst....nice tiptoe!
    Yup agreed! ya got a top rig there theyre hard to let go of, I can't honestly see the difference being that big to justify upgrading, when ours are still sweet, plus they only get better with time, Ive not felt that way about many bikes.

Ya through me some narly rocky singletrack there required some negotiating

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent

Ya through me some narly rocky singletrack there required some negotiating
    'Was nothing that the CCDB couldn't handle, if she's set up properly

trail fairy
    'Was nothing that the CCDB couldn't handle, if she's set up properly

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    Thanks!
    Better leverage ratio and lighter for starters, I think there are a few more differences, but I can't remember off the top of my head. It's 5:30 am and I haven't had my coffee.

I'll let FM or Tscheesy speak on those.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Yep!

Mine has that exact setup. Get the 66RC3 and lower the travel. Unless you like it raked out, but that is definitely no fun on the climbs.
    Just curious, what did you lower the travel too? Easy mod to perform? Thinking ahead, I should have a XC build coming up and would like to turn my 07 RFX a little more big bike-ish so thinking of adding a Zoke coil to use in place of the 08 TALAS I currently have.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    Thanks!
    • Improved geometry: Lower BB, shorter top tubes, lower standover. All changes that make for a better descender IMHO.
    • Lower leverage ratio: better small bump compliance, better performance with air shocks, lighter springs for everybody.
    • More travel (.4" more)
    • More progressive feel- better for hard landings
    • Added stiffness from 3D rockers
    • Lighter weight. On this note, I notice that some seem to think the '06 is more capable as a FR bike due to the extra weight (all in the chainstays and top tube, AFAIK). I don't really understand this as the '07-08 geometry is clearly lower and shorter, good things for FR/DH. And, the 07-08's have a solid history with very few reported breakages... Certainly not something I'm worried about. Regardless, the '06's were great bikes too, and if you already own a 7.5" CCDB, that's a bonus I guess. The highline is in a completely different league IMHO, great bike but not what I'd choose for all mountain riding, total overkill.

trail fairy
    Not all those attributes are best for everyone tell Greg Minnar on a 15in V10 won FT William Sam on his Sunday low BB slack angles, its all realitve, many people can not ride that geo fast, its subjective, different for you and others with knowledge and skills some still need High BB if they are ploweres and not smooth or have no confidence to boost stuff, or not the skills to handle that geo at pace, there's arguments for both, in a year or so it will all change again for the masses, low BBs are no new nor is slack geo! its just being brought to the masses who most will have to compromise somewhere else
    Still they are all good points!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    • Improved geometry: Lower BB, shorter top tubes, lower standover. All changes that make for a better descender IMHO.
    • Lower leverage ratio: better small bump compliance, better performance with air shocks, lighter springs for everybody.
    • More travel (.4" more)
    • More progressive feel- better for hard landings
    • Added stiffness from 3D rockers
    • Lighter weight. On this note, I notice that some seem to think the '06 is more capable as a FR bike due to the extra weight (all in the chainstays and top tube, AFAIK). I don't really understand this as the '07-08 geometry is clearly lower and shorter, good things for FR/DH. And, the 07-08's have a solid history with very few reported breakages... Certainly not something I'm worried about. Regardless, the '06's were great bikes too, and if you already own a 7.5" CCDB, that's a bonus I guess. The highline is in a completely different league IMHO, great bike but not what I'd choose for all mountain riding, total overkill.

Better is a relative thing for sure.

For me, the 07+ are the 'wrong size' that is I am in between sizes for what I want. The med 06 is the TT length I prefer. I like smaller bikes, but sould not ride a current medium...I also don't consider more travel to be an automatic + so my 06 runs the 5.3 rockers. In fact, for the multitudes of riding that that bike sees, I think the newer 6.5 or so of travel would be a negative (for what I do). This also brings the ratios very close. My bb is 14" on the dot with the stays that I wanted....

I will say though that it took some 'special ordering' to get some of what is now standard..and in general they are good improvements...but no matter what, the shorter TT makes the 07+ a bike that just does not fit me for my use.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davep
    Better is a relative thing for sure. ...but no matter what, the shorter TT makes the 07+ a bike that just does not fit me for my use.
    So first, I do agree it's all relative, just good conversation.

I actually felt the same way a year ago about sizing. My two previous trailbikes both had toptubes over 23", so based off that I bought a large and threw a 65mm stem on it.

Long story short, a year later I'm on a medium with a 50mm stem. I couldn't be happier with the geo, even on long rides with lots of climbing.

The bottom line is that there's no substitute for a good test ride. In my case, there was nothing wrong with the large but the medium is just more fun to ride. I think it's easy for us to get caught up in the numbers, but with frames and stems essentially coming in 1cm increments, most of us could go up or down a size with very little issue. Of course we'd all probably be OK with .4" less travel and higher leverage rations too, if it came to that.

TLL
    mtbr member
    So first, I do agree it's all relative, just good conversation.
    Have to agree. The 06 RFX top tube would have been too long for me. The 08 however, fits me to a T.

If I were looking for another Turner I'd shop top tube and not frame size, and buy accordingly. Providing the seatpost doesn't end up looking line a telephone pole, that is.

YMMV, of course.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    Just curious, what did you lower the travel too? Easy mod to perform? Thinking ahead, I should have a XC build coming up and would like to turn my 07 RFX a little more big bike-ish so thinking of adding a Zoke coil to use in place of the 08 TALAS I currently have.
    160mm...Tom did it with spacers. Should be pretty straight forward though.

Members who have read this thread: 0