Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    638

    RFX proto head tube

    Greetings, I have been prompted by a good friend to lust after a new rfx, seeing his 2 and realizing it may be the most perfect bike ever with the new DW-link. so, i'm eagerly awaiting and saving, and enjoying the few teaser shots of this beast.
    And, I'm no engineer (but I did drop out of engineering school!) but I'm bothered by the tapered headtube.

    It seems to me the benefits of tapered headtube are:
    1. Ability to weld on larger downtube = stronger, stiffer.
    2. Ability to better handle shock / fork forces = stronger.
    3. Can run a tapered fork with a tapered headset
    4. Can run a traditional 1 1/8" fork with an adapter/taper headset

    Alas, it also seems that the fully oversized, vastly superior 1.5 head tube provides similar benefits:
    1. Ability to weld on larger downtube = stronger, stiffer
    2. Ability to weld on larger toptube = stronger, stiffer
    3. Ability to better handle / distribute suspension forces
    4. Can run a traditional 1 1/8" fork
    5. Can run a tapered 1.5-1.125" fork
    6. Can run a 1.5" fork
    7. Can do the above with a zero-stack headset.


    So, with no engineering degree, but a strong desire to have the new bike compatible with the most number of forks, be as strong as possible, and be able to run zero-stack headset, it seems to me there's no reason not to use a 1.5" headtube.
    After all, you get the larger headtube, but you get it all around, and you get much more fork compatibility.

    Of course, I suppose there is a good reason for running the tapered HT, but I think the 1.5" is a much better idea, and since this is the internet, and everyone's opinion is golden - I'm sharing mine. Happy flaming/riding/agreeing.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,610

    weight

    I will bite! The smaller diameter top half is notably lighter. I have read TAs pain killer induced ramblings about weight not being a factor and insignificant as well, but when you add up ALL the parts including the heavier top half of the head tube itself there is a notable difference.

    We made a decision that this PROTO RFX would be positioned as our longest travel pedaly bike, not a replacement for the Highline, but a bike a lot of customers would senselessly put XTR on, so, every piece of the bike was thought about from a weight vs stength standpoint, and tapered offers ALL the benefits of stiffer/ stronger without the total weight gain of full 1.5.

    If I chicken out and use a straight 1.5, it will not be because some of you wishe you had a bigger stem, it will be because the cost of tapering is much higher than straight wall tubing and it just looks too different, and for an old traditionalist, I have to take these changes in little steps.



    DT

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    638
    Haha cool - I'm no engineer, as you see.

    Well I look forward to the final in a year - it should ride amazingly either way, of course we all know how i'm pulling.

    Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    431
    Alas, it also seems that the fully oversized, vastly superior 1.5 head tube provides similar benefits:
    1. Ability to weld on larger downtube = stronger, stiffer
    2. Ability to weld on larger toptube = stronger, stiffer
    3. Ability to better handle / distribute suspension forces
    4. Can run a traditional 1 1/8" fork
    5. Can run a tapered 1.5-1.125" fork
    6. Can run a 1.5" fork
    7. Can do the above with a zero-stack headset.
    8. Can run a 1 1/8" fork, and Reducer Cups with +1º-1º Angle

  5. #5
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,389
    Curious how much weight is actually saved. 100 grams?
    Personally I'd rather have the strength over a little weight saving. Save the tapered for the SPot and Flux. The RFX is a long travel machine that should be able to take a beating. If a weight wennie wants to get a RFX they can always put an XC wheelset, Rp23, carbon bars, thomson masterpiece stem and a bunch of other wieght wennie stuff on to bring the bike down to the 30# range. More than likely most of us will be building this bike in the 33-36# range. Some even heavier.
    Also as mentioned. Full 1.5 has the MOST compatability.

    Just another Intraweb opinion.

  6. #6
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Curious how much weight is actually saved. 100 grams?
    Personally I'd rather have the strength over a little weight saving. Save the tapered for the SPot and Flux. The RFX is a long travel machine that should be able to take a beating. If a weight wennie wants to get a RFX they can always put an XC wheelset, Rp23, carbon bars, thomson masterpiece stem and a bunch of other wieght wennie stuff on to bring the bike down to the 30# range. More than likely most of us will be building this bike in the 33-36# range. Some even heavier.
    Also as mentioned. Full 1.5 has the MOST compatability.

    Just another Intraweb opinion.
    you are missing the point...Dave actually has to consider the whole of marketing considerations as well as the "science". I would not expect the average self-absorbed retard Homer (not calling just you out...this refers to everybody on this forum except for me) to consider this of course since its all about what "they" want and anything that deviates cant possibly be the best

    I too think a straight 1.5 is a grand idea but hey, DT does not create the idiots that comprise the MTB-buying community...DT does not manage the idiots who do their bullsh!t reviews in MTB mags and profess in their reviews what the next greatest things are thus leading to commerical pressures...DT does not make forks which most likely are converging to tapered whether you or I like it or not...and DT certainly does not control the intense level of retardation that infects retarded MTB riders/buyers across all categories of bikes, including RFX-like bikes.

    Retards who have no business on an RFX-like bike will continue to buy such bikes and that is not a bad thing and its reality. As such, these retarded lycra clad roadie wannabee mountain bikers' preferences (e.g., save every fuggin gram of weight no matter the logic) have to be considered.

    But most importantly, my next bike will have a tapered headtube therefore, tapered headtubes kick fugging asss so shut all your fuggin pieholes and suck it up and accept it.

  7. #7
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,352
    Wow! You channelling your inner Gonz there?

    And as you so eloquently put it on another thread, there are so many other important things to be concerned with in life. Why are people so invested in whether or not the new RFX will look gnarcore enough if it has a ghey tapered HT? It's not like the new RFX will be the final answer with no revisions in the future. If it's shown that there is a perceptible loss of stiffness (that's not related to the rider's preconceived notions) with the tapered HT, I'm pretty sure adjustments can be made in the future.

  8. #8
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,389
    But FO!!

    you can still run tapered on a full 1.5!

    You can't run full 1.5 on a tapered. Sorry but 1.5 still has the most options. Widest selections of stems and forks. People like options not limitations.

    I was just under the impression DT made his own path and didn't always follow come and go trends like the rest of the SHEEP!

  9. #9
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    But FO!!

    you can still run tapered on a full 1.5!

    You can't run full 1.5 on a tapered. Sorry but 1.5 still has the most options. Widest selections of stems and forks. People like options not limitations.

    I was just under the impression DT made his own path and didn't always follow come and go trends like the rest of the SHEEP!
    read my post...at a minimum, forks are going to tapered and if the case, why build a 1.5? and dont generalize your individual view of "options" to the MTB buying community, which DT has to.

    i understand all your points but you clearly didnt read my brilliant words...whether or not you do, many people DO care about weight, no matter how little weight saved and DT has to consider that.

    and guess what, some people like the option of a bike not looking retarded and a standard steerer tube (on top) on a 1.5 HT looks retarded, period.

    while you say people like options, many people prefer the less weight, period, which tapered affords - your option is somebody elses lack of an option namely, an option for a few less grams. that, in combination with forks likely going the tapered route renders the 1.5 a lame argument since the "options" you refer to as being potentially meaningless since there wont be a 1.5 option to consider (perhaps exaggerated, but point remains).

    if you owned DT's business you would understand...the Pros and Cons being weighed, at least to my brilliant mind, makes sense to consider tapered.

    and like i said, my next bike is tapered therefore tapered rules and 1.5 drools

  10. #10
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,399
    STFU Fo, but yeah I agree. Who the F cares really if it has tapered or 1.5 from a performance standpoint and since it's the newest and gheyest thing then why not, kinda like the DW link and the homers seem to be all over that like stink on sh!t.

  11. #11
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,389
    Here is some food for thought.

    What will happen when the Tapered steer tube fad wears off? Or worse yet, tapered proves to be a weeker and inferior method for steering the front of a bike.

    THEN WHAT?!!!

    What will DT do when 1.5 returns as the end all be all to everyones steer tube woes?

    If he goes 1.5 right now, when the 1.5 revival happens he will already be ahead of the game.

    In the end I understand that DT will do what he wants and I'm more than willing to roll with the punches.

  12. #12
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Here is some food for thought.

    What will happen when the Tapered steer tube fad wears off? Or worse yet, tapered proves to be a weeker and inferior method for steering the front of a bike.

    THEN WHAT?!!!

    What will DT do when 1.5 returns as the end all be all to everyones steer tube woes?

    If he goes 1.5 right now, when the 1.5 revival happens he will already be ahead of the game.

    In the end I understand that DT will do what he wants and I'm more than willing to roll with the punches.
    oh PUHLEEZE...gee willikers, and what happens when steerer tubes go to 2"? then what?

    my advice is for you and the couch-sitting pontificating bike company owning know-it-all wannabees open your own company and then you apply your brilliant logic that clearly will be based on a foolproof marketing plan to address everybody's needs as well as everybody's needs moving forward based on you being able to assess any uncertainty

  13. #13
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    oh PUHLEEZE...gee willikers, and what happens when steerer tubes go to 2"? then what?

    my advice is for you and the couch-sitting pontificating bike company owning know-it-all wannabees open your own company and then you apply your brilliant logic that clearly will be based on a foolproof marketing plan to address everybody's needs as well as everybody's needs moving forward based on you being able to assess any uncertainty
    Funny stuff!!!

    You are way to serious dewd!

    PS. wheres FO bikes since you are the end all know all bike owning guy?.

  14. #14
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    You are way to serious dewd!
    and you are seriously retarded its not my fault i am all knowing and everybody else is utterly retarded

    on a serious note, to meet my "serious" quota of once a day per my therapist, tapered bike project is not a Turner. I am stoked on Sultan and even a tapered HT wouldnt make me like the Sultan any more - new bike is hardtail

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: miles e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,017
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    and guess what, some people like the option of a bike not looking retarded and a standard steerer tube (on top) on a 1.5 HT looks retarded, period.
    That's probably the first good argument I've heard for tapered.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

  16. #16
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    and you are seriously retarded
    Sorry you had to stoop to name calling.

    Intrawebs know alls are funny!

  17. #17
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Sorry you had to stoop to name calling.

    Intrawebs know alls are funny!
    ??? i called you many names in my first post so that is old news


    secondly, yeah, it is me that is the know it all...and not you based on your retarded expertise provided to DT at the onset I was simply correcting your logic which failed entirely to consider the real world

    Accept it, you are wrong, it is you that is the wannabee know it all, you know nothing about running a business, etc. i assure you that DT reads MTBR posts and amongst the many provided in this forum, it is mine (and tscheezy's) that are being taken seriously by DT and other manufacturers no doubt so yeah, i may be a know it all but at least for me its legit

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    528
    i still find this amazing. i love the highline and one of the features i like about it is the size of the stem head tube combo. i'm a good 240lbs without kit and although i don't drop the drops i ride through and over with as much gusto as most others.
    i have had two turners now and xce which i loved for ten whole years slowly changing nothing other than the forks and bearings. i got to a point where the forks were too long for the frame and the bike started to suffer. i also got made redundant and had no roof on our house so needs must and i sold it. still wish i hadn't. then after a year or two of riding an orange 223dd, darn hard work and not much on anything but the uber fast. i had the fortune to buy a highline. i love this bike now i've got the totems up front. it's my only offroad bike and as such does everything. no it's not light 40lbs ish but neither am i.
    i remember one of my old engineering lecturers extolling the virtues of large diameter but thinner wall tubing as the second moment of area was actually great and therefore could be made stronger and lighter than a small diameter tube.
    fo has made some darn good points in his own unique way but and it's a big ole butt. DT makes bikes which ride brilliantly, he also markets bikes and sells them as part of running his business. there will be market forces at play on the whole 1.5 argument as there is with every aspect of the bike game.DT runs a successful business and makes bikes that we want to buy and ride and be proud of. air your opinions but to be honest i think he'll probably make the right decision...........he usually does.....

  19. #19
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    ??? i called you many names in my first post so that is old news


    secondly, yeah, it is me that is the know it all...and not you based on your retarded expertise provided to DT at the onset I was simply correcting your logic which failed entirely to consider the real world

    Accept it, you are wrong, it is you that is the wannabee know it all, you know nothing about running a business, etc. i assure you that DT reads MTBR posts and amongst the many provided in this forum, it is mine (and tscheezy's) that are being taken seriously by DT and other manufacturers no doubt so yeah, i may be a know it all but at least for me its legit
    Thanks for the good laugh and keep up the amusing work.

  20. #20
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Thanks for the good laugh and keep up the amusing work.
    it would be my pleasure

    given you are too mature to keep bantering i now must resort to moving to the 29er forum. good day!

  21. #21
    trail fairy
    Reputation: trailadvent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,546
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    I will bite! The smaller diameter top half is notably lighter. I have read TAs pain killer induced ramblings about weight not being a factor and insignificant as well, but when you add up ALL the parts including the heavier top half of the head tube itself there is a notable difference.

    We made a decision that this PROTO RFX would be positioned as our longest travel pedaly bike, not a replacement for the Highline, but a bike a lot of customers would senselessly put XTR on, so, every piece of the bike was thought about from a weight vs stength standpoint, and tapered offers ALL the benefits of stiffer/ stronger without the total weight gain of full 1.5.

    If I chicken out and use a straight 1.5, it will not be because some of you wishe you had a bigger stem, it will be because the cost of tapering is much higher than straight wall tubing and it just looks too different, and for an old traditionalist, I have to take these changes in little steps.



    DT


    I'll start by saying, I DON:T START these posts or try to stir up these debates!

    BUT since you have joined the ramblings group of Homers about my 1.5 opinion I feel I must respond!

    You have more engineering knowledge than I do DT and I bow to that!

    However I must take you up on the weight aspect, as I feel feelings and marketing instead of facts are being mixed here by many which is why I point out my objective views!

    RAMBLINGS or not thy are factual, if people won;t accept that then they have bigger issues!

    1: I have had some of the lightest XC note XC frames ever made and some if not the best XC hardtails of all time, there pedigree and results stand the test of time under some of the best riders of all time, and this is in XC!

    These bikes were 1.5HT std long before Manipoo stole the concept!

    FACT

    CAAD 2- Optimo frames I have had one of eacy actually too CAAD 5 frames one broke dam CS!

    FACT is stems can be lighter and stiffer than std 11/8th stems!

    A post someone else raised on this sometime ago, went to the trouble of gathering all the weight speccs of various stem makers frame makers and component speccs
    the 1.5 either bettered the tapered weights or matched them!

    Wonderful thing about the internet you can research this stuff if people bothered to get off there arse!

    These specs weights were on top end components too not doing what some here do, compare something shitty with a bling component to justify there argument!
    Thomsons X4 1.5 stem is lighter stronger stiffer than there X4 1 1/8th stem!

    again same with fork tubes, etc, really and if they were heavier as others have said its a few grams, its not going to be anything like the difference that is being marketed to us!

    It will be made and people will go ahead but it should stand on its own benefits not by poor information!

    But most as marketeers dream they want to buy stuff they're told to buy!

    Only component that might be heavier in this equation would be the top race of a 1.5 Headset and if people worry about that then they shouldn't be near an RFX! and have a darn site more to worry about! If this is about pandering to the XTR crowd then ya going to turn away allot of loyal customers! omr - only my ramblings! though what would I know!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

    MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

    Leatt FAQs


  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    638
    Apologies for the involvement of Fo in this thread... intended only to get some insight into reasoning - not to be critical or say "hey, do what i say" but to ask "so, what am i not getting?"
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

  23. #23
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by rvmdmechanic
    Apologies for the involvement of Fo in this thread... intended only to get some insight into reasoning - not to be critical or say "hey, do what i say" but to ask "so, what am i not getting?"
    you should be sorry...i have better things to do than correct retarded logic be it US or Kiwi-based idiocy

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    85

    well...

    marketing hype leans towards the new (tapered). Feel and function leans towards 1.5".
    1.5" stems complete the package for a true riders bike. 1.25" will sell more because it is new and can be sold as lighter yet all 1.5" forks are lighter than there 1.25" versions. A near 7" travel bike should be 1.5" top and bottom simply because it's bad ass and it works. So silly to not take advantage of 1.5" stems. I'd pass on the frame with a tapered head tube even it were full pound lighter. But ya gotta sell what ya gotta sell and if all the numbers point to out of shape weight weenies with money to burn... then your not building bikes for people who like to mountain bike your building bikes for people who like to impress the jones's.

  25. #25
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,202
    Quote Originally Posted by jodd
    But ya gotta sell what ya gotta sell and if all the numbers point to out of shape weight weenies with money to burn... then your not building bikes for people who like to mountain bike your building bikes for people who like to impress the jones's.
    Nice one!

  26. #26
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by jodd
    marketing hype leans towards the new (tapered). Feel and function leans towards 1.5".
    1.5" stems complete the package for a true riders bike. 1.25" will sell more because it is new and can be sold as lighter yet all 1.5" forks are lighter than there 1.25" versions. A near 7" travel bike should be 1.5" top and bottom simply because it's bad ass and it works. So silly to not take advantage of 1.5" stems. I'd pass on the frame with a tapered head tube even it were full pound lighter. But ya gotta sell what ya gotta sell and if all the numbers point to out of shape weight weenies with money to burn... then your not building bikes for people who like to mountain bike your building bikes for people who like to impress the jones's.
    what a plethora of genuises...DT is so lucky to have you all!

    So tell us, in your business, do you thrive entirely without considering market considerations? Or are you just a Maverick!? Thanks in advance

  27. #27
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,202
    "Considering" the market and "bowing" to the market are two different things.

  28. #28
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    "Considering" the market and "bowing" to the market are two different things.
    listen asswipe, i see no bowing here...i see participation in a post and no doubt, as painful as it must be for DT to listen to you retards mentally masturbate about who can cut and paste the most impressive cliches, he is still pondering the situation and there is no bike yet you stupid sack of ass! i.e., decision has not yet been made so STFU and HTFU

    in summary, everybody, expect for me, is a fuggin moron and clearly just likes to hear themselves type

  29. #29
    Moosehead
    Reputation: moosehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,902
    OP and TA aren't the only ones calling BS on tapered HT's. Per the RFX HT poll, a majority of respondents want a 1.5 HT (54%).

    Fo thought tapered HT's were retarted in his own blahg, but has evidently determined to plant his lips elsewhere this month.

    http://allthingsfo.blogspot.com/2009...head-tube.html

  30. #30
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    OP and TA aren't the only ones calling BS on tapered HT's. Per the RFX HT poll, a majority of respondents want a 1.5 HT (54%).

    Fo thought tapered HT's were retarted in his own blahg, but has evidently determined to plant his lips elsewhere this month.

    http://allthingsfo.blogspot.com/2009...head-tube.html
    i reserve the right to change my opinion at any time. if tomorrow i say tapered is lame then it is lame but today it is not. Though on the other hand, i am grateful you are at least smart enough to reference the blahg for more accurate discussions on MTB-related topics. It shoudl also be noted that while on my blahg, that post was done by one of my highly paid authors, not me, though i do endorse their efforts of course.

    With respect to that blahg post, you must also consider that catcucorn rendered on the topic as you will see..and unlike you and me, he is a DH National Champ so we really should listen to him.

    though PLEASE dont patronize with retarded science, a la retarded poll based on retards who participate on mtbr who are retarded enough to bother placing a vote in a stupid poll. and please dont tell me you think this stupid poll reflects at all any sort of accurate representation of the true population of buyers who will be in the market for such a bike. I bet you go to a chirpractor too

  31. #31
    No, that's not phonetic
    Reputation: tscheezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,313
    Retard is the new ghey.

    Who says nothing ever changes around here?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

  32. #32
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Retard is the new ghey.

    Who says nothing ever changes around here?
    See all you aholes! Tscheezy has now rendered so this thread can be closed since he clearly supports my position.

    Though tscheezy, and I know its complicated, but i wouldnt characterize retard as the new ghey, but rather they compliment one another.

  33. #33
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,399
    Hmmm, mooseknucklehead and his pathetic butt buddy cactuSCORNED are against tapered HT's huh?

    BRING ON TAPERED!!!

  34. #34
    MK_
    MK_ is offline
    carpe mañana
    Reputation: MK_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    7,258
    Now that the headtube thread count is reaching the limit, let's start talking about the rear triangle. That is the ugliest part of the bike, by far.

    _MK

    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

  35. #35
    mr. wonderful
    Reputation: dirtbag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    a bike a lot of customers would senselessly put XTR on
    Case in point

    I say let those who would senselessly kit out the RFX full weight weenie go ahead and do so, but please don't define the bike around them. Those folks would probably be better off on a Spot or Sultan anyway, so let them navigate their poor choices alone. Besides, a 1.5" head tube is not going to stop anyone from weenieing it out, if that's their inclination.

    I would think there would be far greater numbers who would want to build it around a big single crown fork, potentially a travel adjustable like the Totem 2-Step (if SRAM has resolved it's problems) or a 66 ATA, or a big coil like a Totem coil, or RC3, all available in 1.5" steerer. If I were in the market for one, that's what I would look at and a tapered headset would certainly cool me off to the RFX. I do think 1.5" is a better platform for big single crowns and without the HL in the lineup, you know the RFX is going to riden, and flown, hard.

    Most importantly, Fo thinks it's a great idea If that doesn't ring the WTF am I thinking alarm, nothing will

  36. #36
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    Case in point

    I say let those who would senselessly kit out the RFX full weight weenie go ahead and do so, but please don't define the bike around them. Those folks would probably be better off on a Spot or Sultan anyway, so let them navigate their poor choices alone. Besides, a 1.5" head tube is not going to stop anyone from weenieing it out, if that's their inclination.

    I would think there would be far greater numbers who would want to build it around a big single crown fork, potentially a travel adjustable like the Totem 2-Step (if SRAM has resolved it's problems) or a 66 ATA, or a big coil like a Totem coil, or RC3, all available in 1.5" steerer. If I were in the market for one, that's what I would look at and a tapered headset would certainly cool me off to the RFX. I do think 1.5" is a better platform for big single crowns and without the HL in the lineup, you know the RFX is going to riden, and flown, hard.

    Most importantly, Fo thinks it's a great idea If that doesn't ring the WTF am I thinking alarm, nothing will
    Fo has not stated any preference. I would be fine with either for this type of bike, period. There are arguments either way but my guess is it may come down to cost...that, coupled with fact that I would doubt the cost:benefit analysis of tapered is favorable for an RFX. Now a hardtail? yeah, the general audience sure wouldnt want straight 1.5 but here, especially since its cheaper, 1.5 may makes more sense but if the market suggest tapered is the way to, cool too.

    Many people are not going to go out and buy a 1.5 fork just cuz its straight 1.5 HT (ie, will stick with their already existent 1 1/8" steeerer-tubed fork)...there are plenty of argument either way
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 09-14-2009 at 10:14 AM.

  37. #37
    locked - time out
    Reputation: TIMBERRR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,389
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Fo has not stated any preference. I would be fine with either for this type of bike, period. There are arguments either way but my guess is it may come down to cost...that, coupled with fact that I would doubt the cost:benefit analysis of tapered is favorable for an RFX. Now a hardtail? yeah, the general audience sure wouldnt want straight 1.5 but here, especially since its cheaper, 1.5 may makes more sense but if the market suggest tapered is the way to, cool too.

    Many people are not going to go out and buy a 1.5 just cuz its straight 1.5...there are plenty of argument either way

    DID you really refer to yourself in the 3rd person? REALLY GUY!! REALLY!!!

  38. #38
    ... I guess you won't be
    Reputation: jokermtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,940
    To answer all of you.....here it is : "No, you can't"

    See, wasn't that nice!?!

  39. #39
    Amphibious Technologies
    Reputation: SCUBAPRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,472
    Wow, ,Fo is actually making very good points! Well done Fo; I may be a retard but I agree with you. It's DTs decision based on functionality and market considerations. Either would be fine with me but I like the vast choices in 1 1/8 stems.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,445
    I stopped reading this thread after I realized that fo was universally right, and nothing more needed to be elaborated for the correct option.

    Actually, the only benefit I see (from a guy with a 1.5HT) to 1.5 is the ability to run reducer cups that +/- 1˚ for the HT angle is pretty cool. I wish more companies did adjustable HT angle like commencial, intense, and scott. I'd way rather see that then tapered.

  41. #41
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,275
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    DID you really refer to yourself in the 3rd person? REALLY GUY!! REALLY!!!
    Yes, Fo did refer to himself in the third person

  42. #42
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,011
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    I stopped reading this thread after I realized that fo was universally right, and nothing more needed to be elaborated for the correct option.

    Actually, the only benefit I see (from a guy with a 1.5HT) to 1.5 is the ability to run reducer cups that +/- 1˚ for the HT angle is pretty cool.
    Generally I could care less about which HT size is used (I defer to experts like Fo), but a good argument for 1.5 is the "angled" reducer cup...in this case, 2 degrees: LINKY
    Last edited by geolover; 09-14-2009 at 12:33 PM.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Generally I could care less about which HT size is used (I defer to experts like Fo), but a good argument for 1.5 is the reducer cup...in this case, 2 degrees: LINKY
    Thats pretty cool!! and very lightweight too...


  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,610

    Nice angle

    Vrock just pushed the logic-ometer towards the 1.5 because of the potential use of adjustable angle cups! Everyone is claiming they want slacker and lower and that is one way to offer it just in case 66 is not slack enough. Chock it up to the sewing circle design consortium.

    Does anyone want me to make it outa carbon? It don't have to be lighter, but it could be as tough as a Hatteras?!

    DT

  45. #45
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,589
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Does anyone want me to make it outa carbon? It don't have to be lighter, but it could be as tough as a Hatteras?! DT
    DT, yes please. All the folks who are going to buy the RFX and turn it into a 28 pound trail bike would like it to be made out of carbon fiber. Please.
    ****

  46. #46
    Build More = Ride More
    Reputation: YoPawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,442
    Why does it seem people assume a 1.5 HT for a AM bike should be as thick as a 1.5 for a DH bike?

    No room for just making the existing design more lean up top? A wider flange means you can go with thinner tubing or less butting, etc.

    Seems rather fallacious to make an argument against the weight of 1.5 HT when in just about every noted case is used for a higher duty application. 1.5 steer tubes weigh less than 11/8 tubes and are stiffer and stronger. How does that logic not carry through to other parts? Giant is now making some of the lightest bikes on the market. How? Larger diameter everything.

    I'm not sold at all on the assumption that all available options for making 1.5 lighter have been exhausted. Tapered may have the impression of being lighter, but at what compromise?
    Last edited by YoPawn; 09-14-2009 at 05:12 PM.

  47. #47
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,011
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Vrock just pushed the logic-ometer towards the 1.5 because of the potential use of adjustable angle cups! Everyone is claiming they want slacker and lower and that is one way to offer it just in case 66 is not slack enough. Chock it up to the sewing circle design consortium.

    Does anyone want me to make it outa carbon? It don't have to be lighter, but it could be as tough as a Hatteras?!

    DT
    FWIW, 66 is good enough for me (actually wasn't aware it was already 66...guess I should pay more attention to a bike that doesn't actually exist ). That being said, if 66 degrees is too slack for some...you could make it 68....blasphemy IMO, but I'm just sayin'.

    I'm hoping you use a tapered tube if for no other reason than to piss-off TA.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  48. #48
    how heavy are you ??
    Reputation: Scottay5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,041
    this is fricking hilarious! keep it goin.......
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    638
    Make it out of carbon but make it heavier please!

    I'm glad I could excite fo so much... I'll buy the bike no matter what diameter it is, but my penis will be .325" smaller if it comes with a tapered headtube, and that is a major concern here - if that happens, i may not have the balls to ride!

    In all seriousness, sometimes the interwebs is just about hearing ideas whether or not they're valid - and increasing penis sizes via HT diameter sounds like a good idea to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.