RFX pedalling RP23 to a coil ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

RFX pedalling RP23 to a coil ?

Currently on an 08' RFX w/ a RP23. Really like the Propedal when doing smooth climbs or fireroads. Descending is ok but if the trail gets chunky or really fast the air shock gets overwhelmed. My last few DH bikes had Fox DHX coils but the Propedal even @ max. felt soft in comparison to the RP23. How about a Roco TST coil , Manitou SPV coil ? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Keen, here is my take: I also really liked the RP23 propedal on the 08 RFX (on the lightest proedal setting), but wanted to see what I was missing in coil. Going to the DHX5 on this bike was a big mistake - the pedalling/climbing was sublime at best, really took the fun out, so I got back to the RP23.
    But a month ago I tried the DHX RC4 and finally found a great combination of coil smoothness and efficient climbing/pedaling and minimal bobbing. Now I do see more movement than the RP23, and I do need to pedal seated and in circles, but that's what I do anyway and the efficient feeling that was so missing the the DHX is back in spades and overall its a significant improvement over the RP23.

Having said that, do an MTBR search on this. Lots of people here had great success with the CCDB and Avalanche Chubie in getting both sweet riding and sweet climbing. ( Although I warn you in advance that you will see some religious debates between the devotees of each ). All in all, the combination of good coil shocks with High & Low compression damping, plus a lot of patience to figure out the correct settings, will give you a wonderful ride on the RFX. Fantastic bike!!

Another note, if you end up thinking about the RC4, make sure it fits - it fit my Large RFX but I don't know about other sizes.

Happy riding!
    Last edited by tald; 08-18-2009 at 08:55 AM.
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

Outcast
    nothing can numb out [dumb down] input from the road like propedal. That being said, shocks like the cane creak double barrel, and the avalanche chubbie can be tuned real well to calm down bobbing and such, via the low speed compression and rebound circuits. Plus, they will out perform the RP3 on the descent.

Team Blindspot
    I have an RP23 and a Van R for my 08 RFX.

Both are Pushed. I really preferred the Van R until I did the DCG mod on the air can. It has really evened out the compression in the techy terrain.

I use the Van R now for resort work and Moab. Everything else, it's the RP23

Next on the list is to try the MX tune for the Van R
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    For the Van R... what is the MX tune all about?

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are three levels of the PUSH treatment available with something like the Vanilla R or DHX.

Level 1 is a factory rebuild that doesn't change any of the damping-internals, it does replace the seals with better units and includes fresh oil, bushings, and so on.

Level 2 is to essentially gut the shock and replace the internals with PUSH internals that are suited for your weight, bike and riding style. This is what most people get and it's available for Fox air shocks (excluding the DHX-air) and fox coil shocks.

Level 3 is known as the "MX" and is to do all the same stuff as above and also add the high/low compression circut/adjusters that Avalanche Racing shocks developed. This is only available for the DHX and Vanilla R coil shocks. To do this PUSH has to machine a new shock bridge (connection from the shock body to the reservior) to house the circut. This allows for great low speed and high speed compression control and adjustability. This allows you to dial in a lot of low-speed compression damping and still have it blow-off easily for the high-speed hits. It's a level of adjustability and control above pretty much everything else. If you do not currently own the shocks that work for this tune, you'd probably be better of getting an avalanche shock, as there are a few benefits still to going that route.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0