Thread: RFX overforking

mtbr member
    May 2007

RFX overforking

I have a 66 Light eta '06 170mm on my '08 rfx
    Do anybody think I can run into some problems with this combo?
    The a-c on the 66 is 555mm

Earlier this summer I have been using a Z1 RC2 '07 150mm on the rfx
    The a-c on the Z1 is 535mm
    I wanted to try the 66 to see if the bike would be even better with a little slacker geo

switchback sculptor
    I think you'll be fine, it's only 10mm over the suggested a2c.
    It should be fun on the downhills although with a higher bb.
    I would suggest 5.5 rockers with the Z1 to achieve slackness and low bb simultaneously.

Team Sanchez
    I ran an 07 66 RC2X on my 05 pack, and then on my 08 RFX. You won't have any problems, but it will put the BB height up a bit. You might notice that on steeper climbs the front end wants to wander, but that's about it.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok,thanks for the quick replies
    I guess I will be fine then
    I have almost never used the eta on the Z1,so if I use the eta on the 66,I think the rfx will climb almost the same as before and hopefully descend even better
    I am not bothered with a higher bb since the trails I ride have a lot of roots and rocks
    A slightly higher bb is a good thing in my book

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've used that fork since 06 on my 6pack/RFX. It's only 10mm above the recommended as was said before, so that's not really over-forking. With ETA you can lower it for climbs, so it works out real well. Those forks go on forever.

Over-forking would be a Totem or current 180mm 66.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem

Over-forking would be a Totem or current 180mm 66.
    You can shim the 180 down to 170 pretty easily, though I'm not sure if the AtoC is different per year models.

mtbr member
    I run an 06 170mm 66 RC2x on mine, no issues, and slacks it out to just how I like it. You'll be fine.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    You can shim the 180 down to 170 pretty easily, though I'm not sure if the AtoC is different per year models.
    How? It's a closed non-servicable cartridge (meaning you can't put any spacers in there).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

banned
    Sep 2005
    You shim it down at the pumping rod on the spring side. My RC3 can go back and forth between 180-170. The only problem with this is that you put at least 10mm of preload on the spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have an 09 66 ATA on my 08 RFX. I like it at about 170 or so (goes 140-180). I know this fork was maligned previously, by mine has been stellar. I lowered my BB height by going to a 7.75 rear shock. I have thought about going to a 36 vanilla to shed a little weight and having more of a set it and forget type ride but the 66 has bailed me out of some rough situations. I love this bike, here's a pic:

arbiter
    Aug 2005
    How's the shorter shock treating you? Any rubbing issues? Is the headtube/BB geometry change worth it?
    I-9 drone, unauthorized jerk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by futuristxen
    How's the shorter shock treating you? Any rubbing issues? Is the headtube/BB geometry change worth it?
    I love the bike with the AVY, I hated it with the RP23. But in fairness I gave the air shock about zero tuning effort. I wanted a coil for the bike from the get go. I got the the idea for the AVY from this forum. No rubbing at all and I like the geometry a lot better. Admittedly, I'm not the best at noticing small geometry changes but I noticed this and it felt better to me.

trail fairy
    Nice Rig there Victim, sweet nar setup!

If ya want nar then 55 on the RFX is pretty sweet.

The way she used to be
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    Sep 2005
    So, when is someone gonna hook you up with those rockers TA?

banned
    Sep 2005
    RCC runs a 180mm fixed Totem on his 08...no problems.

Elitest thrill junkie
    You shim it down at the pumping rod on the spring side. My RC3 can go back and forth between 180-170. The only problem with this is that you put at least 10mm of preload on the spring.
    With the air-preload system wouldn't this lead to a hell of a lot of preload? That would make it harsher?

banned
    Sep 2005
    Luckily I don't use any air preload. Plus I run the RC3 cart under a tad bit of vacuum. It's not perfect, but seems to work ok.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Luckily I don't use any air preload. Plus I run the RC3 cart under a tad bit of vacuum. It's not perfect, but seems to work ok.
    *If you are really mech inclined you can cut down the spring.

trail fairy
    So, when is someone gonna hook you up with those rockers TA?
    Haha I'll beleive t when I see it, I saw them briefly on the Turner sit was denied and they're outta stock, I don;t get why something that sells so well is never in stock or not enough stock, so many people want these bloody things for mods replacements!

I'm not going DW until I get a pair

And then my RFX HS compatible is staying putt putt

66s or 888s shouldn't need air preload if ya oil volumes and wts are setup right either!

Plus depending on size of frame, large up is also a better bet, the RFX has a good wheelbase in medium but longer the wheelbase works even better with the 170mm and especially something like the Totem or 180mm 66s..

Not sure what size frame RCC is running but it looks nicely balanced not over raked or anything
    Last edited by trailadvent; 08-26-2009 at 01:14 PM.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    :

66s or 888s shouldn't need air preload i oil volumes and wts are setup right either!
    I'm with you on this! I spent a lot of time experimenting with viscosities/wts/heights. I think I have finally found a balance. With the additional preload, I do sometimes use a bit of negative air in the RC3 cart when I want super-supple small bump sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    :Not sure what size frame RCC is running but it looks nicely balanced not over raked or anything

Medium--He would do well if he could somehow lower the BB. The bike sits pretty tall.

mtbr member
    Medium--He would do well if he could somehow lower the BB. The bike sits pretty tall.
    Sounds like he should have Craig make him up a 7.75 x 2.25 Avy
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

trail fairy
    I'm with you on this! I spent a lot of time experimenting with viscosities/wts/heights. I think I have finally found a balance. With the additional preload, I do sometimes use a bit of negative air in the RC3 cart when I want super-supple small bump sensitivity.

Oh your fork is a little different ot my old 66RC2X only 2 X he no neg air! just air pre load
    it was the most small bump sensitive fork Ive had once setup right which was pretty straight fwd with that model, dam it was good it ramped up nice and was so controllable no matter what ya through at it! only neg for all round riding was weight but it didn't matter then, had other bikes for longer rides! Its nice now though too just different!

Ah medium wow its sits nice, lowering bb maybe do what FM and others have done get a custom tuned 7.75" stroke shock on there, ahh like Victim above setup sounds sweet

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    Sounds like he should have Craig make him up a 7.75 x 2.25 Avy
    I would be carefull to make sure your 07/08 RFX will not have seatstay bridge/ seat tube contact with a shorter than stock shock.
    My 08 would sometimes make contact there with the stock shock if bottomed out hard.
    The 07/08 RFX was a great bike, my only complaint with it was the high bb.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    I would be carefull to make sure your 07/08 RFX will not have seatstay bridge/ seat tube contact with a shorter than stock shock.
    My 08 would sometimes make contact there with the stock shock if bottomed out hard.
    The 07/08 RFX was a great bike, my only complaint with it was the high bb.
    JMO go 50lbs lighter on the main spring and add 2 bumper stops instead of the std one
    should give a nicer ride and still pedal great being an Avy and with its adj,

Just throwing down some random

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0