RFX has got some friends- Mtbr.com
    long standing member

RFX has got some friends

RFX...the slow build. Part two in a series.

When we last left off our buddy 2002 medium RFX with 5" & 6" rockers and King Steelset was relaxing on the sofa in my living room.

He was getting lonely so I got a couple of new components to keep the frame company during the upcoming long, cold off-season.

Saint cranks: I know, overkill...blah, blah, blah...well, I'm a lard-ass and they're as strong a crankset as can be found, so

Marzocchi 66SL: At SSinGA's insistence I picked up what I suspect is one of the last remaining 2006 66SLs. This fork is beef personified (forkonified?). If I had a 20mm TA front wheel I'd throw this thing on my Hoss tomorrow and jump it off my house.

Thanks to Larry at MHC for the great deal on the 66SL. As soon as I have the $$$ I will definitely be ordering the rest of my components from him. Now I know what others have meant when they've written, "Just call Larry from MHC."

So now I've got a couple more parts I can stare at and dream about riding. And my wife has officially confiscated my credit card.

Until next time, Mr. RFX and friends are signing off.

Patrick
    Last edited by PCinSC; 09-11-2006 at 09:03 PM.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Good to see the frame has a few friends. Best of luck liberating the credit card to get the rest of the bits together. I've been working on my RFX build for about 4 months now. Just a couple of parts left...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    that black rear looks sooooooooooooooo good!
    No, I'm NOT back!

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    that black rear looks sooooooooooooooo good!
    I really like the contrast it provides against the white frame myself. The only problem is, the seatstay had that crack in it. And the replacement SS that Turner sent is polished. So it doesn't match.

I haven't installed it yet (no rush, I can't ride the damn thing yet anyway). Maybe I could get it powder coated black to match on the cheap somewhere. Any ideas?

Time flies...
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I haven't installed it yet (no rush, I can't ride the damn thing yet anyway). Maybe I could get it powder coated black to match on the cheap somewhere. Any ideas?
    ...I think Jokerman has the hookup...
    ...every day sends future to past...

3 "fiddy" for short
    And my wife has officially confiscated my credit card.

Patrick
    I'll come over this week when I get home and we will get that sucker back.

trail fairy
    PCinSC sweet love that look, shes gonna be wicked fer sure, booty is good.

keep the updates a coming.

I'm in a similar boat at the mo though my frame hasn't made it to the couch yet as its still stuck with Customs argghh why do they have to be so difficult, hopefully I'll see it 2morrow!

I just bought a 66RC2X today I thought about the Lyrik but no coil models coming here and the price difference between the 2 is horendous and the 66 is proven for what I want this puppy to do so I can put those $$$$$ lots of em elsewhere into the bike or just put it in my piggy bank where it should go.

So have fork wheels, brakes, bars, stem etc, cranks, no FRAME, and no shock and tranny, I'll go 07 X9 I think no point going bling for the hell of it this is a working class machine though it'll still be pimped.

It'll come together faster than I thought, whats the rest of your build specc PCinSC.
    Last edited by trailadvent; 09-11-2006 at 08:52 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

No, that's not phonetic
    That thing has been on the couch since 2002 and you JUST NOW bought a fork?? Jeeze!!!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Maybe I could get it powder coated black to match on the cheap somewhere. Any ideas?
    yes. olympic or spectrum. both know turners and do a proper job. black shouldnt be more than about $100 for the whole rear id guess, less for the 1 piece. ya might consider havin the entire rear redone.
    No, I'm NOT back!

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    ...whats the rest of your build specc
    I just noticed this question. Here's the rest of the planned build (subject to change, of course):

'02 RFX frame, gonna' PUSH the Vanilla RC and run it with the 5" rockers
    Zoke 66SL
    Saint Cranks
    King Steelset headset
    Diabolus Bars
    Thomson stem
    Lizard Skin lock-on grips
    Avid Code Brakes
    Gravitydropper post
    WTB Power V DH Race saddle
    XT shifters
    XT front and rear derailleur
    e13 Bashguard and DRS chain tensioner
    LX cassette, 11-34
    Sram chain, whatever is cheap
    Sun Singletrack rims
    Hadley hubs, 36h
    Tires TBD, a high volume ~2.3-2.4 for trail riding and a dual ply DH casing 2.5-2.7 for the lift days
    Pedals - Time Z's or plaforms depending on the day

Did I miss anything?

Roy
    mtbr member
    Maybe I could get it powder coated black to match on the cheap somewhere. Any ideas?
    Call these guys: http://www.olycoatings.com

For just the seatstay and a single color (black), it should be well under $50. AK Chris had his 2 frames PC'd there, and they've quoted me $65 for a frame (hard tail) and rigid fork (1 color pass).

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Call these guys: http://www.olycoatings.com

For just the seatstay and a single color (black), it should be well under $50. AK Chris had his 2 frames PC'd there, and they've quoted me $65 for a frame (hard tail) and rigid fork (1 color pass).
    Thanks for the link, I'll definitely keep it in mind. Although, there may be an alternate solution, I'm waiting to hear back from Airwreck.

Patrick

banned
    Finally.

Just in time for the trails to ice over.

Use bar ends to navigate through the football crowds.

trail fairy
    Nice build PC looks good, interested to here yr thoughts on the Acodes, looks like where both in build up mode

Enjoy shes gonna be Killer
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Nice build PC looks good, interested to here yr thoughts on the Acodes, looks like where both in build up mode

Enjoy shes gonna be Killer
    I'm still considering the Magura Gustavs, they're probably my first choice. But the Codes will be a little cheaper. I was considering the Hope Mono6ti's as well, but they're more expensive than both the Codes and the Gustavs, for what seems to be (from what I read) no improved performance. It's really tough to make these choices without having tried out the components. Oh, well.

I think your build is gonna be done before mine. I'm chompin' at the bit to finish mine too, though.

Patrick

Members who have read this thread: 0