View Poll Results: What crank option you will you use on a RFX or AM type bike?

Voters
118. This poll is closed
  • 22-34/36 with bash guard

105 88.98%
  • Single ring with 32-38 teeth

5 4.24%
  • SRAM Double with 26-39

1 0.85%
  • Triple crank with 22-32-42/44

7 5.93%
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

RFX crank options

I want to find out what everyone plans on using for a crank set up for RFX or All Mountain class bikes.

DT

mtbr member
    Conventional: SLX or Hive fifteen.G (22/36/bash or 24/38/bash) + 8sp 12-32 Cassette

Contemplating Hammerschmidt as well.

Edit: added cassette info
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 05-06-2010 at 11:25 PM.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    XTR with E13 bash.

I have a hammerschmidt on my Highline, I like it but not going to add the extra weight to a climbing bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

alignment

It seems that the poll results are mirroring the results of my email poll of test riders, magazine editors, dealers, professional guides, industry contacts and friends. What is coming up is riders want of a 36 or 38t 'big' ring for the smoother descent and a 22 for hauling a 30+/-lb bike up steeps, but with good shifting between them.

DT

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    It seems that the poll results are mirroring the results of my email poll of test riders, magazine editors, dealers, professional guides, industry contacts and friends. What is coming up is riders want of a 36 or 38t 'big' ring for the smoother descent and a 22 for hauling a 30+/-lb bike up steeps, but with good shifting between them.

DT
    Is there such thing as good shifting between 38 and 22? Probably iffy. A couple years back I did an exhausting search for a quality ramped & pinned 38t ring and came up with.... not much. I've been riding 36/24 for years on a few different style bikes and love it.

And now of course there is Hammerschnoot. I will assume that this 19th iteration of the new RFX will have guide tabs on it.

Elitest thrill junkie
    22/32 for me.

22 is just too damn low for most riding, and when I do use such a gear, I never use the "easiest" gear, it just makes it too damn hard to keep yourself going in technical uphill terrain. We need bigger gears, even though it's bloody steep, just because it's so technical and easy to spin-out. I'd still like it as a "bail out".

34/36 on the other hand is too tall, difficult to ride up real steep stuff, I'd be shifting too much. 22/32 is best for me I think, and while it'd be nice to have some taller gears, it's just so rare to ever need or use them, or you're already going like a bat out of hell cause you are going downhill. The guys that might be racing downhill might want something a bit bigger.

The problem is with the fringes. 22 is real tiny for most stuff, and when paired with a 32 or 34 out back, it's just too low, so I think even a 24 or 26/32 would be the best, or maybe a 24/34. The SRAM 39 setup is too tall, nice for a road or the fastest downhill, but not practical. It wouldn't have a chain on it most of the time IMO.

Here's what I'd like to have:

32 or 34 front ring with a 32 or 34 rear for 9speeds and ONLY a 22 ring/ 28cog combo for a tenth "bail out" speed. I know it's physically impossible, but everything else is pretty useless IME.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Here's what I'd like to have:

32 or 34 front ring with a 32 or 34 rear for 9speeds and ONLY a 22 ring/ 28cog combo for a tenth "bail out" speed. I know it's physically impossible, but everything else is pretty useless IME.
    If someone can figure this out with a single front ring configuration... Maybe with a 32 front and 11/38 rear?

mtbr member
    22-34/36 with bash guard for sure.

mtbr member

24/38 on a 29er

....and you didn't come across the Blackspire SuperPro rings? I've been running a 24/38 dual setup for about 2 years now and the shifting FOR ME is fine. A bit of a "stiff" shift, going up to the 38t ring (more of a FD issue IMHO since I'm using s std 3 ring FD, a 2 ring specific FD would prob solve this issue), but who ever really is in a huge rush to get up there, the important thing to me is the drop from it to the 24 is fast and smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Is there such thing as good shifting between 38 and 22? Probably iffy. A couple years back I did an exhausting search for a quality ramped & pinned 38t ring and came up with.... not much. I've been riding 36/24 for years on a few different style bikes and love it.

And now of course there is Hammerschnoot. I will assume that this 19th iteration of the new RFX will have guide tabs on it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Never enough time to ride
    Been running 22-34 for a couple of years now, and love it. With the 22 tooth I have the gear to drag it up the hill, and the 34 tooth gives me a good range of gears to spin on the flats and down the hills. Spins out downhill, but by the time I'm out of gear I'm already thinking about coasting it out and pumping the trail for more speed. Great shift with the Blackspire rings paired with an SLX double derailleur and the Race Face bashring has an easy job, it just sits there and gets smashed...

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    DT, running 22-34 w/bash on my '08 RFX. 11-32 out back. If I was strong/faster I'd think about 24-36, mostly to get more top end outta the 36 on decents. IMO a triple on a RFX type bike is overkill, you end up with a bunch of top end gearing you'd never use.
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    22/36/bash + 11->32 Cass here.

Single ring would be nice, but most of our "AM" climbs, whilst not massively long, do tend to be pretty techy, and at 140lb, I simply don't pack the power to muscle a 30lb+ bike up a tech climb for any length of time. If the climbs were more fire-roady I'd aready be on the single ring bandwagon.

mtbr member
    A couple years back I did an exhausting search for a quality ramped & pinned 38t ring and came up with.... not much.
    Middleburn makes a 38t ring with "Slick Shift" (ramps & pins) that is more than decent.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

MK_
    carpe mañana

DT
    Well, Dave, your poll is a tad hard to draw this conclusion from; if there was an option for 22/32+bash, that would be my choice. I don't mind running 34T and it seems like industry is adopting the 36T standard, given, for example, the e.13 bash coming in 36T as the smallest option. In this case, I guess I don't mind running a 36T. I rarely want to pedal when I'm spun out of my 32/11 combo. The rare exception here is a trail like Porcupine rim, but I'm perfectly OK just not pedaling at that point.

My only issue here is that I typically pedal 32-24 or 32-21 (I'm more of a spinner than a masher) on the flats and with a bigger ring up front, I have to keep it closer to the granny in the back. The issue here is that I like to run my chain as short as possible and avoid cross chaining, so running a bigger ring up front would likely require me to run more chain, which would be more slap, which would be a tad annoying (and a few grams heavier. )

Just my 2c.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Rides Uphill Slow
    22/32/bash for me but I liked it better when I ran 22/36/bash.
    I'm here for the downhill

Build More = Ride More
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    If someone can figure this out with a single front ring configuration... Maybe with a 32 front and 11/38 rear?
    It's smart to keep the gears off the back of the bike to reduce unsprung weight. A 38 rear ring would weigh a ton for the back.

24 - 36 seems ideal for me personally. I have a 22-32 on my Highline and it just geared a little too low.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I think a 24/36 front chainring set up with a 11-36 cassette would be great.
    Or maybe that applies more to my Sultan.

"I'm just a patsy"
    24/36/Bash - 11/34 works well for me on my trail bike

mtbr member
    24+36+bash is my choice.
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    22/34 hardly ever use the granny. Would be nice to see the 2 ring SLX outfitted. If we need the third ring, we can get one ourselves, but we still have the stronger version of the crank.

mtbr member
    It would make a lot more sense if people would include what cassette they're running, too.

I'm running a 24/36/bash with a 11-34 9 speed cassette . It appears SRAM wants to introduce a 10 speed 26/39/bash with an 11-36 cluster which sounds pretty cool. For where i live, we have really steep ups with really steep downs so we don't use much in the way of power gears so I don't know if i really need a 39t up front but i bet some people would love that set up.
    nothing witty here...

Hisforever
    36/22
    Jesus Saves

bump and grind
    36/22 on my 08 RFX. Using Race Face rings. They shift pretty well now. There were some dropped chains shifting from 36 to 22 initially, but I dialled that out with derailleur and chainline adjustments. I cant see myself using a 24 or 26 granny gear with the climbing I have to go through with my fat behind, weak legs and smog filled lungs.

By the way, I'm using them a Blackspire Stinger with the combo, if that is any help.

mtbr member
    On my '08 RFX: 24/36/bash with 11-34 cassette. Srams new 10sp 11-36 with 26/39 sounds great.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I ran a 22/38 w/Stinger set up a couple of seasons ago on my RFX when Blackspire came out with their fancy new ramped chainrings. The shifting wasn't exactly instantaneous, but not too bad. Problem I ran into initially was that I tried the set up with a 24/38/Stinger and the dual guide forced the chain under the ramps of the Blackspire 38 ring and caused it to jam up. Threw the 22 back on and no problems.

For around here, the 38 ring was a bit too big for my weak, chicken legs IMO. I went back to a 22/36 and that seems fine, even for Stupid D races. A handful of guys I ride with are actually moving back away from larger rings to the 32/34 range now.

mtbr member
    so far, for the last 5 or so years, the single 32t up front (with the aid of a LG-1) and 32 out back has worked fantastic. I've considered going to a 34 on the rear but haven't succumbed as of yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Faulty poll

How is it that 6% picked a triple, yet not one of them that chose that posted a thought on why they would put a triple on an All Mountain bike. Is there one person out there ballot box stuffing to make me think that a triple on the RFX is a smart choice? Based on dozens and dozens of direct feedback notes that I sent to industry types all over the world, plus all the posts above, the only reason to make the frame triple compatable would be for an extremely rare lycra wearing, race group equipping rider who thinks they are putting it in the 'big ring' but never getting close to the little cog! 39t max it is!

Thanks for playing Ebike design opinions.

DT

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=turnerbikes]How is it that 6% picked a triple, yet not one of them that chose that posted a thought on why they would put a triple on an All Mountain bike. Is there one person out there ballot box stuffing to make me think that a triple on the RFX is a smart choice? Based on dozens and dozens of direct feedback notes that I sent to industry types all over the world, plus all the posts above, the only reason to make the frame triple compatable would be for an extremely rare lycra wearing, race group equipping rider who thinks they are putting it in the 'big ring' but never getting close to the little cog! 39t max it is!

Thanks for playing Ebike design opinions.

Maybe the 6% are on carbon All Mountain bikes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    On my uphill technical climbing machine, aka '07 Spot, I've got 26, 36 & bash up front and 11-34 in the back. Chose the 26 granny in combo with 34 in the back to improve chain tension over 24-32. Perfect for me!
    __o
    _-\<,
    (_)/(_)____ Sigmund | Norway

Commit or eat sh!t
    How is it that 6% picked a triple, yet not one of them that chose that posted a thought on why they would put a triple on an All Mountain bike.
    Most of the guys who have this setup are lazy or don't know any better, including a few of the guys I ride with. They get their bikes this way from the shop, and never bother to change them out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mr. no

You can put a 'big' ring on there as a bash guard, but the chain will rub the underside of the frame if you shift into that ring. Just use the limit screw same as you would with a basher.

Yes Mr. Pink I think you are correct. Anyone that wants to run a triple will be looking for an ultra light AM bike and with the HD on the market, that will be top choice for that kinda guy, but alas, the RFX will be Made in USA of metal and will not be on the weight weenie radar.

DT

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So now the RFX is back on the table? Damn, I just can't win lately. lol.

Bought 2 bikes thinking it wasn't going to happen.

You can put a 'big' ring on there as a bash guard, but the chain will rub the underside of the frame if you shift into that ring. Just use the limit screw same as you would with a basher.

Yes Mr. Pink I think you are correct. Anyone that wants to run a triple will be looking for an ultra light AM bike and with the HD on the market, that will be top choice for that kinda guy, but alas, the RFX will be Made in USA of metal and will not be on the weight weenie radar.

DT

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    Most of the guys who have this setup are lazy or don't know any better, including a few of the guys I ride with. They get their bikes this way from the shop, and never bother to change them out.
    Maybe that's me, too. My RFX is my only geared and suspended bike, so it's just as much my climbing bike as it is my rocky bike. The big ring comes in handy when I'm doing XC rides. It also takes out the slack when going downhill (probably a catch 22 since I wouldn't need so much chain with a double).

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I would love to see this same poll mirrored on Velo vert and some german/ swiss sites. I would personally run a double but I know there are a lot of triple riders on this type of bike in Europe.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

locked - time out
    24/36/bash. Best gearing I've run so far.

22/32/ bash is for GIRLZ!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am really surprised that the triple ring setup had any votes at all. Then again, I did see someone at the trailhead a couple weeks ago on a bike that had a Fox 40 on the front end as well as a water bottle + cage on the downtube.

mtbr member
    24/36 for me with a bashguard

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    24/36/bash. Best gearing I've run so far.

22/32/ bash is for GIRLZ!!!
    Yeah, but do you use a girly 34 cassette?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Yeah, but do you use a girly 34 cassette?

UUHHHH. Maybe. HAHA

mtbr member
    May 2006

setup

Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    24/36 for me with a bashguard
    Same here, works pretty darn good for me here in GA.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well, I ride 22/32/38 on my 5. spot. Simple reason: We have mountains here, where I need the granny ring. we have slow, technical trails here, where I need the 38 teeth, and we have fast Dh-sections here, where I need the big ring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    20-32-36 on my RFX. the 36 is also cheap bash ring for logs, protects the
    action tec 32. Us older riders need low gearing for multi hour climbs at altitude.
    just my 2 cents work

mtbr member
    DT how does the new breed of 2x10 drive trains figure into your design scheme?

Members who have read this thread: 0