RFX chainline- Mtbr.com

Thread: RFX chainline

mtbr member

RFX chainline

Hello everyone,

I just picked up an '06 medium RFX and I have started planning the build. I was wondering if anyone knows what the nominal chainline for the RFX is and if there is a bottom bracket/crankset that fits particularly well. I am not planning on installing a chainguide right nowbut I would like to leave that option open. I read the post on chainguides for the RFX and it looks like using the ISCG taabs with a two-ring setup is out of the question.

Thanks!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    welcome nyb. hope ya dig the rfx and i hope ya dont pull a cf ats. ok?

tons of choices on cranks but most opt for the newer xt's. light, tough, cheap enough to be called "budget", stiff and mount up well. these should take care of any chainline issues if installed correctly.

most of the time settin up a straight chain is pretty easy. 1 way is to put yer chain in the middle ring and mid way through the cogs, give her a tad bit of chain tension while lookin from the rear and check for any offset or kinks down the top run of said chain.

be sure not to mix and match old and new drivetrain parts as this will only bring you frustration and mockery. ask if ya have any more questions. were here to help.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member

RFX Chainline

I just built a Med RFX with XT Cranks and Blackspire Stinger ISCG mount/2 rings

I'm not thrilled with the chainline on it but it works fine. Shimano recommends the 2.5 spacer on the drive side. With the ISCG Stinger anything less than the 2.5 spacer would result in the granny ring chain bolts hitting the guide. I know others have machined the bolt heads, etc so there are some options out there.

most of us have had way better luck with a b/bkt mounted pinch setup. the isg just makes things complicated, weighs more id guess and creates more oppertunity to damage things. i too mounted mine up with the 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. dt and the boys prefer it on the opposite and report a better chainline. ive yet to try this myself but i may soon. '07 xt's are on the way to compliment my e13/mrp-lrp/heim 3 guide. ill try this and compare it to the old xtr cranks, then decide whats goin on the new '07 rfx next year and whats gettin sold with the '02 bike. pretty clever of me huh?
    No, I'm NOT back!

3 "fiddy" for short
    I am using the ISCG tabs on my RFX and had little problems. Initially I had an issue with the small chainring bolts on a new XT crank rubbing the chainguide bolts. I just dremeled the chaininring bolts a little and the problem was solved. I know that it is a cheap fix, but hey it worked.

Hey CC. Have you come up with a parts spec for TEDDY yet? If so, do tell.
    Last edited by be350ka; 10-24-2006 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Every 135mm rear, non-asym frame has a 47.5 - 48 mm chainline. Some of the newer cranks (xt for example) are designed to give a 50 mm chainline. As others have said, removing the sapacer from the drive side will render a 47.5 mm chainline. The problem comes when trying to stuff a chain guide in there with only 47.5 mm. I think that this is the reason for the migration to the 50mm cranks. Of course, if you ditch your big ring, your chainline will change as well (2.5 mm less).

I run a bb sandwich style e-13 drs with new XTs with no issues.

the final spec is still up in the air but the basics are in place for the initial build. i should be postin on friday when it gets here. tons of '07 bits but nuthin super bling so dont get too excited.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies. A lot of useful info.

I am thinking of set of Hone cranks: a little burlier than the XT, black instead of silver, and a fair bit cheaper. I also have a pair of RaceFace Evolve XC in the parts bin that I could throw on for long rides or on trips if weight is an issue.

I live in the northeast and I ride a Flux, the RFX will be built as a "fun" bike or as a travel bike to take on trips out west. I was in Utah a month or so ago and rode a 5 Spot for the second time, among other bikes. If I could I guess I would have a Flux, a 5 Spot, and an RFX ... Realistically, I will mix and match components from the parts bin and some new stuff to beef up or slim down the RFX as necessary.

No, that's not phonetic
    Go Hone. Nice cranks. Got em on my 7-Pack.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0