Thread: RFX (again)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

RFX (again)

I swapped out the RP23 for a chubbie (thanks to good reports on here) and I couldn't be happier. Honestly, I didn't give the RP23 much of a chance, just a few rides and I knew it wasn't what I wanted. The difference is amazing to me. I really wasn't expecting the upgrade in peddling efficiency, especially climbing. It's just better all around, really. As far as the bike, I think it rides great. Much better climber than I expected. I seem to like the fork around 170mm or so better than at 180mm. Going down is just a blast really. The trails are starting to get more rideable each day and I'm enjoying getting a feel for the bike. I'm looking forward to hitting the good riding spots around here but I already feel this will be my favorite bike. The bike is 34.5 lbs and I can feel the heft at the top of climbs (my winter weight not helping either). Once again, thanks to the members that posted (FM I think and others) about using this shock. As an added benefit, Avalanche is about an hour away so I feel good about supporting his business. One bad though, 2009 66 ATA has a "clunk" issue.

Outcast
    sorry to hear about your clunk issue. Marzocchi needs to forget about ATA and TST, and go back to basics.
    I too was surprised at how well the chubbie performs for climbing. Do you know what your LSC, HSC, and rebound settings are?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    sorry to hear about your clunk issue. Marzocchi needs to forget about ATA and TST, and go back to basics.
    I too was surprised at how well the chubbie performs for climbing. Do you know what your LSC, HSC, and rebound settings are?
    I knew I was taking a chance on the fork but I figured "it's an '09 maybe they got it right". I'm sure people were thinking the same thing in '08. So far on the chubie, Rebound: 7 clicks out from full hard, LSC: 10 clicks out from full hard. HSC: 1.75 out from full hard. But I like making small adjustments, so it's probably going to change a little . How is yours set up?

FM
    mtbr member
    Looks cool.
    Did you get 7.875 or 7.75" length?
    I've messed around with my tuning a bunch recently and went back to the stock settings to level-set.... they're working great.

Here's a good thread about avalanche tuning.
    Also, here's a little file I threw together with useful tuning information from Craig and others. Sorry about the typo's, most if it was cut&paste.

Outcast
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I think its:
    HSC: 1.75 turns in from fully out
    LSC: 6 clicks in from fully out
    rebound: 8 clicks in from fully out? .......I changed this recently, and I'm not sure where I am there. Craig recommends running rebound as fast as you can stand it, and initially, that kept me from having a good climbing shock. Just the right amount of rebound and LSC makes all the difference when trying to tune this shock as an all around performer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    7.75x2.25

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I think its:
    HSC: 1.75 turns in from fully out
    LSC: 6 clicks in from fully out
    rebound: 8 clicks in from fully out? .......I changed this recently, and I'm not sure where I am there. Craig recommends running rebound as fast as you can stand it, and initially, that kept me from having a good climbing shock. Just the right amount of rebound and LSC makes all the difference when trying to tune this shock as an all around performer.
    I'm headed in your direction. I'm not to great at tuning so I make small adjustments one at a time so it takes awhile. It seem a little harsh so I'm trying to soften it up a little.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by victim
    I'm headed in your direction. I'm not to great at tuning so I make small adjustments one at a time so it takes awhile. It seem a little harsh so I'm trying to soften it up a little.
    compared to my set-up, it seems like you have a lot of LSC and rebound, and that you say it feels a little harsh also tells me those two adjustments could back out quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    compared to my set-up, it seems like you have a lot of LSC and rebound, and that you say it feels a little harsh also tells me those two adjustments could back out quite a bit.
    I'm going to play with the LSC tomorrow. I think your is set up like I want mine. Thanks and thanks to FM for the info, big help.

trail fairy
    Dam

Now that's a bike worth posting about

CLASSic

DAMM ata I'd gone with a 160mm coil fork with a CC110 on top of the HT and a S3+5 on the bottom HT though to slack the HA a little then ya would have the ultimate shreader JMO!

But thats the best looking bike I seen on here and specc for a dam while congrats dude

Ps Maxxis tires woulda made it 10 outta 10 but Im biased cause of Maxxis 4C lol..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

FM
    mtbr member
    Hey also, what's your weight & what spring are you running?

I'm 175lbs and Craig suggested a #500. I had a hard time with climbing, the bike wasn't bobbing but it felt like it was squatting on long fire road climbs. I went up to a 550, the bike climbs better and I still occasionally get full travel on drops. The 500 did ride a little plusher on small stuff though.

mtbr member
    victim, are you running those Schwalbe tubless on the DT 5.1's? I have the same rim and couldn't mount the Nobby Nic USTs on the rim. I took them to my lbs, and they blew the front tire off the rim and the kevlar bead inside the tire broke.

If so, what kit did you use. I also could get the DT Swiss rim strip on! And, yes, I am a poseur.....
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Hey also, what's your weight & what spring are you running?

I'm 175lbs and Craig suggested a #500. I had a hard time with climbing, the bike wasn't bobbing but it felt like it was squatting on long fire road climbs. I went up to a 550, the bike climbs better and I still occasionally get full travel on drops. The 500 did ride a little plusher on small stuff though.
    I'm at 210 ready to ride and spring is #600. I usually get under 200 in the summer though. I have only 1 turn preload for the correct sag. I may pick up a #550 to satisfy my curiosity. I love the way the bike pedals now just looking to get more plush (I may be getting greedy though).

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Serotta b1kr
    victim, are you running those Schwalbe tubless on the DT 5.1's? I have the same rim and couldn't mount the Nobby Nic USTs on the rim. I took them to my lbs, and they blew the front tire off the rim and the kevlar bead inside the tire broke.

If so, what kit did you use. I also could get the DT Swiss rim strip on! And, yes, I am a poseur.....
    I'm using tubes so I'm no help, sorry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by victim
    As an added benefit, Avalanche is about an hour away so I feel good about supporting his business.
    Nice ride! Missed it the first time around, but it's a completely different animal with the Avy anyway. Keep your eyes out for its brother on the trails in the greater Springfield/Hartford area.

''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Victim, thanks for this thread. That's it - I'm getting one.
    Can't tell you how much time I've been thinking about it. Beautiful bike BTW!!

Since I am pretty much your weight, and am also interested in an overall great ride up & down, those settings you mentioned should really help.
    Also interested in the 7.75", was a little weary about its climbing performance - so its great to hear it climbs better than the RP23 with the Chubie.

** How did you ask Avalanche to set up the shock? What input did you give them?
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tald
    Victim, thanks for this thread. That's it - I'm getting one.
    Can't tell you how much time I've been thinking about it. Beautiful bike BTW!!

Since I am pretty much your weight, and am also interested in an overall great ride up & down, those settings you mentioned should really help.
    Also interested in the 7.75", was a little weary about its climbing performance - so its great to hear it climbs better than the RP23 with the Chubie.

** How did you ask Avalanche to set up the shock? What input did you give them?
    I just told him the type of riding I do. I like technical riding, pedaling over rocky north east type terrain. A few trips up north for some lift assisted mountain riding. He knows what to ask you for questions and he spent a lot of time on the phone making sure I was happy, a few days later the shock was at my door.

Oh and by the way, I pretty much matched Rene's LSC and rebound settings and the shock is now sweet for my taste. Maybe I gave up a little bit of efficiency but not enough for me to worry about. Once the recent foot of snow melts I look forward to tinkering some more with the settings. If you make the plunge I doubt you will be disappointed. Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0