mtbr member
    Sep 2008

RFX 2008 coil shock

Hi.

I have been running my RFX with a remote reservoir Avalanche DHS shock, which is unbelievably good, but also a total boat anchor. I have also been running it with my original RP23 that has been Push tuned to make it have seriously hard damping in the last 3rd of the stroke to try and combat the RFX's tendency to blow through its travel (it doesn't work and the bike still crashes through the travel with a bang!).

What coil shock can i fit that will:

A) Fit the frame
    B) Be lighter than the Avy
    C) Perform as well as the Avy

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Dave

~~~~~~~~
    I'm surprised to hear this, especially with the push. What do they say about it? I would go with their recommendations although I can understand having a budget.

What kind of riding are you doing that is causing this "crashes through the travel with a bang"?

One of the guys I ride with is approx. 200 lbs. I don't ever recall him having issues with his stock rp23 and was always amazed how the travel indicator would be at the end of shaft but never off, including flat and shorted doubles. I've also never had that complaint with either my stock rp23 or push DHX5. I'm 150 and on small, I have thought I bottomed out harshly before only to find it was rocker seat post qr lever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Does your RP23 have the high volume air can or the standard/low volume can?

mtbr member
    Get the Avy chubbie. Craig can even make you a 7.75" shock to improvethe geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR27 View Post
    Hi.

I have been running my RFX with a remote reservoir Avalanche DHS shock, which is unbelievably good, but also a total boat anchor. I have also been running it with my original RP23 that has been Push tuned to make it have seriously hard damping in the last 3rd of the stroke to try and combat the RFX's tendency to blow through its travel (it doesn't work and the bike still crashes through the travel with a bang!).

What coil shock can i fit that will:

A) Fit the frame
    B) Be lighter than the Avy
    C) Perform as well as the Avy

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi, well, wasn't expecting everyone to rip into me and stand up for the rp23 so much!

Since you asked, its the high volume can as supplied as standard. I ride normal trails in the south of the UK, nothing too extreme. The 'bang' is audible when the shock bottoms, it was there before the push tune and is there after. It doesn't do it with the Avy shock. I weigh 180lbs, run 200psi in the can and get about 25% sag.

I wasn't really after opinions on the rp23, I know it doesn't work for me and therefore its going, I want to know what coil shocks will fit the frame primarily as the Avy remote reservoir is a pain and it weighs more than the moon.

Anyone got any suggestions? Will the rockshox vivid fit?

MW
    mtbr member
    Hi, well, wasn't expecting everyone to rip into me and stand up for the rp23 so much!
    I don't think folks are "ripping into" you so much as they're surprised and maybe a bit confused: Homers hold the PUSH'd RP23 in relatively high regard, and the performance you're describing runs counter to the accumulated archive of testimonials on this board.

But Homers are fickle: I asked about an RP23 for my '08 RFX and got a lot of the feedback about how I should stick with my Roco coil or look into a (PUSH'd) Monarch. So, you know, just roll with it.

Anyway . . .

The DCG aircan mod for the RP23 is worth trying, no matter where you end up: reduces air volume, makes the shock more progressive, generally helps save the mid-stroke under bigger/more aggressive riders. Costs pennies.

For coils, how much weight are you looking to save? The Avy Chubbie is hugely popular around here and may save a few ounces. Avy also has a non-piggyback they call the Montie which could save another couple. The Roco coil fits, inverted. I believe the DHX coils fit (also inverted?). CCDB is another popular option, from what I can tell. No idea how much weight you'd save with any of these options, though.

Dollars-for-grams, I'd guess a ti spring offers the most value given that you're already running a top-drawer shock. Just my two cents.

Good luck,

--Matt

%$#$*!
    To echo what others have said. I'd get an Avy Chubie with Ti spring - shortshock it too. You'll probably be disappointed with anything else. The only air shock that would probably compete would be the Vivid Air. I have no idea if it will fit though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am surprised PUSH wouldn't recommend the LV can - I would have been on the phone w/ PUSH if I spent $ and my shock was bottoming. I have run the DHX coil, CCDB, and Roco TST coil on my RFX and stayed w/ the CCDB / Ti spring combo. Seems like when weight weenie syndrome hits air shock's enter the picture but the end result is a decrease in performance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm UK based, so the PUSH tune was done by TF Tuned, not PUSH themselves. I have tried using shims to reduce the air volume and have never been able to find the happy medium between nice progression and too harsh.

Bottom line is (in my opinion) that air shocks suck.

Does anyone know if a Vivid coil will fit? the reason i don't like the Avy is (apart from the weight) that it stops me being able to fit the bike to my car roof rack carrier! which is a major ball ache.

Does anyone know off hand the length and stroke of the shock for the RFX

MW
    mtbr member
    Does anyone know off hand the length and stroke of the shock for the RFX
    7.875x2.25, though 7.75x2.25 is the "hot" custom option because it lowers/slackens the bike a titch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Not sure if it helps (cause it is far from being light), but the Bos Stoy fits just fine. The vivid should too, but not sure about it.

If the problem is the roof rack... isn't it cheaper to change it instead of the shock?

mtbr member
    I sent back an RP23 twice to Push on my 07 RFX - never got it to feel right - ended up with a Roco TST coil which I liked a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Changing the bike rack isn't an option, the shock change is cheaper, especially if I sell both the others, due to the type of rack I can and can't fit to my car.
    Going to try a heavy tune Vivid rc2 with a 500lb spring.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    what about the monarch plus rc?
    any good on the rfx?