mtbr member

Retooling? RFX 4.5?

So first off, I have not been riding a Turner since my 2007 five spotů A lot has changed in the industry since then! Currently I ride a nomad, but plan on purchasing a new bike next year. My question is, will there be plans to read design or update the RFX?

I really enjoy the nomad, but recently had an opportunity to demo a pivot Firebird. I could not believe how well the bike climbed compared to my nomad?! It was my first time on a DW link bike, and I was also very comfortable descending on it!

That experience, re-interested me in Turners and the RFX. Will there be any updates to hold my breath for? Like I said, I don't plan on buying another bike until next year. Boost 148? 170mm? Wings and a prop?
    Thanks
    Didn't see much on the topic, feel free to point me toward existing threads

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ^This is part of the answer to the "what happened to this forum" question.

yeah DW linked bikes are the shiz and Turners ride great, but...

If your not updating your bike models on a yearly or so basis then dont expect there to be much of a buzz around your brand.

Yes the RFX and Flux are rad bikes AS THEY ARE and IMO the geo and spacing and all that are all good. Riders who buy them should be happy for years to come...but,

If you want to sell bikes, create a buzz, and be competitive in the industry Turner has to move faster. The RFX, Czar, Flux should already be updated to boost, metric shocks, slightly adjusted geo, and a more progressive leverage to make it easier to run a coil on the RFX. He should have direct sales pricing at multiple build levels. Direct sales pricing on frames. offer Carbon frames around 2,600$, and Aluminum frames around 1800$ or cheaper if possible. Turner would have the most affordable DW linked bikes on the market. Nobody else is offering Direct Sales pricing on DW link bikes that I know of.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My guess is that Turners biggest competition is coming from brands like Pivot and Ibis. Seeing that they are all DW linked bikes. If he could get in there with updated bikes and lower prices think he'd do well.

But to answer you question, knowing Turner bikes, I wouldn't hold your breath for any updates. The latest RFX and Flux are rad bikes though you should check them out.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver84 View Post
    I really enjoy the nomad, but recently had an opportunity to demo a pivot Firebird. I could not believe how well the bike climbed compared to my nomad?! It was my first time on a DW link bike, and I was also very comfortable descending on it!

That experience, re-interested me in Turners and the RFX.
    Luckily for you, the RFX 4.0 is already a DW link bike!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You can run 170 front on the RFX if you need anything more hardcore. The GF rode a 160/160 RFX in EWS last year and that worked just fine so.. should be viable for quite a few years forward

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    If your not updating your bike models on a yearly or so basis then dont expect there to be much of a buzz around your brand.
    Umm, no one updates their carbon molds on a yearly basis. Even road bikes that sell in far greater quantities than MTB's (and at a higher margin too, I suspect) tend to run at least a three year life cycle before any significant changes are introduced.

Santa Cruz seems to do a pretty good job generating buzz, but the Nomad has been on the market for over three years now. Granted the Bronson/5010 did receive updates about 2.5 years in from their release, but then the Tallboy was basically unchanged for seven years or so until the TB3 came out last year.

As far as Turner's lineup, the RFX has been out for a year and a half, the Flux less than a year. I wouldn't expect changes to either any time soon. The Czar is probably up next for a refresh, but it has aged quite gracefully IMO, and is still a wildly fun/rewarding bike to ride!
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    yeah yearly is pushing it for an individual model , but usually most companies will update at least one of their models during a calendar year...or generate some marketing/pr piece.

I know its not Turners thing but think it would prob do them some good to put out a video on Pinkbike or something...like "Catching up with Turner" or "Inside Turner bikes"...obviously Turner has changed it up a bit since the USA aluminum days, would be cood to hear the "Turner story", and maybe a little glimpse into the future... think a lot of folks are wondering the same thing.

I always enjoy when companies release an inside look video.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    [QUOTE=dmar123;13131565]yeah yearly is pushing it for an individual model , but usually most companies will update at least one of their models during a calendar year...or generate some marketing/pr piece.

Didn't Turner release the new RFX last year, and the new Flux this year? That counts as a new bike/year to me....

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e View Post
    Umm, no one updates their carbon molds on a yearly basis. Even road bikes that sell in far greater quantities than MTB's (and at a higher margin too, I suspect) tend to run at least a three year life cycle before any significant changes are introduced.

Santa Cruz seems to do a pretty good job generating buzz, but the Nomad has been on the market for over three years now. Granted the Bronson/5010 did receive updates about 2.5 years in from their release, but then the Tallboy was basically unchanged for seven years or so until the TB3 came out last year.

As far as Turner's lineup, the RFX has been out for a year and a half, the Flux less than a year. I wouldn't expect changes to either any time soon. The Czar is probably up next for a refresh, but it has aged quite gracefully IMO, and is still a wildly fun/rewarding bike to ride!
    Trek did this year. The market shifted farther then they thought so they adapted. Fuel EX, probably their best selling mtb.

That doesn't mean that Turner needs to, but 3 years is probably more normal, especially in the boutique mtb marketplace. Current RFX came out in 2015 (1st articles in Sep).
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    I believe the RFX came out around 2015 because it was shortly after I had already purchased my Nomad... That's part of why it's nice to renew a bike every three years, I can still get a couple bucks out of my used bike. So it doesn't make since to move into a bike that will have been out 3 year ('18 season when I'll be buying).
    I guess that's why I asked if there was "retooling?" Seems like you could update the rear triangle and widen it 6mm? I like the current numbers on paper (still need a demo day).
    I also like the thought of running a coil and 170mm fork, it would probably see about 10 days a year at the local park so yes, 160 in the rear is plenty...
    All said, I want a DW bike... it will be a Firebird or RFX? There is something cool about having a Turner, but we'll see next year?
    Thanks for the replies, figured this board would have any updates if they were available!
    https://m.pinkbike.com/news/is-this-the-new-santa-cruz-nomad-2017.html
    Last edited by weaver84; 04-20-2017 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Add link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver84 View Post
    I believe the RFX came out around 2015 because it was shortly after I had already purchased my Nomad... That's part of why it's nice to renew a bike every three years, I can still get a couple bucks out of my used bike. So it doesn't make since to move into a bike that will have been out 3 year ('18 season when I'll be buying).
    The RFX was announced in September 2015, and began shipping in October or November, so basically it was a 2016 model (to the extent that model years exist any longer).

I get the part about not wanting to buy a bike towards the end of its model life in terms of resale value, but personally would not let that drive my purchase. A used bike is going to be worth a small fraction of what you paid for it, whether it's one model cycle behind or two.

If you like what a bike offers I say jump on it- there's no guarantee you'll like the next iteration of it any better. It will be interesting to see the new Nomad when it's finally unveiled, but I know a lot of riders are perfectly happy on the current one and may even find they prefer it, depending on just how much the new one differs. Same could surely be said for the RFX, the main difference being a new one is probably years away, not months.

Members who have read this thread: 1