Resurrected love of Fluxing...- Mtbr.com
    Time flies...

Resurrected love of Fluxing...

Interesting to see the recent Flux love posts!
    I semi-retired mine a while back and it donated some parts for other projects.
    Then I decide to join a group ride this coming Sunday and realized that the Flux was the perfect tool for the job.
    So a hasty rebuild ensued including a new budget headset and some other spare parts and now she's ready to rock...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Oh, how cute....a spike horn!

Official Member

nice ressurection...

that thing looks ready to go.... dare I say chur worthy.

Time flies...
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Oh, how cute....a spike horn!
    Make fun if you want....
    It's an XC / climbing machine. I've taken the bar ends off a few times to try to drop a few ounces and to 'look cool'.
    But my hands & wrists always miss them, so they're back on for now.

Function over style.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    Function over style.
    That point is lost on a 29er devotee.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Sup?

more 'fluxing'

Some more 'fluxing'

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/91zErx2L+Xc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="270" width="320"><embed src="http://blip.tv/play/AcS+YQA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="520" height="377" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

Higher res here: (quicktime required)
    Last edited by honemastert; 07-26-2008 at 07:54 AM.

Wicketed
    mmmm, shiney.
    racing my flux this weekend. great bikes, glad you are rediscovering the love.
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Looks good. Just when I think I've gotten away from 26" wheels, these Flux posts pull me back in. May have to take mine out this weekend.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by honemastert
    Some more 'fluxing'

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/91zErx2L+Xc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="270" width="320">

Higher res here: (quicktime required)
    that's sweet, man...like riding in a tunnel.

Bite Me.
    That bike looks hot. The pendulum seems to be swinging back a bit to an appreciation for light weight 4" travel speed rigs (like the Sultan )- cool
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

TLL
    mtbr member
    Great bike. I still miss having one around.

And if that wheelset was spare parts, can I come over and raid your spare parts bin?
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

outclassed by his bike
    Wow, that looks wicked fun. Landscape is very cool / weird.

If you took where I ride, removed all the water, all the roots, all the rocks, and all the dark colors; shrank the trees, twisted them into weird shapes, then hung a lot of dried moss over them; then took out some more water and some more roots, you would have something about half as dry, smooth, and pale as that piece of trail looks. I obviously have to get around more, because that looks like a blast.

outclassed by his bike
    I've taken the bar ends off a few times to try to drop a few ounces and to 'look cool'. But my hands & wrists always miss them, so they're back on for now.
    I second that.

Time flies...
    Quote Originally Posted by qcanoe
    ~ ~

Time flies...
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Great bike. I still miss having one around.

And if that wheelset was spare parts, can I come over and raid your spare parts bin?
    ... the Larry-built wheels are OE....

BODYSNATCHER

jes cuz

The first night out with the new ride

Moab, early May '08

Turner vs. Ells, Moab style

I am a XC guy, so no huckin' pix....
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    xjbebop,
    Nice resurrection Iím just curious what trail are you hitting tomorrow?
    As far as the bar ends who cares what people say or think. Apparently if you started out riding with them they are hard to drop. My sister who races XC has used them for 16 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Time flies...
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    xjbebop,
    Nice resurrection Iím just curious what trail are you hitting tomorrow?
    As far as the bar ends who cares what people say or think. Apparently if you started out riding with them they are hard to drop. My sister who races XC has used them for 16 years.
    supposed to do 30 miles in Cuyamaca w/ a new group tomorrow. That'll be the longest ride I've done in a -long- time, if I survive it.

* I still can't help but wonder if I would be happier w/ a Sultan. I'll be thinking about that while gasping for O2 tomorrow...

mtbr member

4 inches

I just love 4 inch bikes. I need to post some pics of my burner but I just recently purchased a new laptop and have no pics of her uploaded yet. I will have some today. I like to ride agressive xc and 4 inches is plenty for the trails I ride mostly.

Time flies...
    Follow up... fwiw -
    Today's ride will be my last on the Flux. It's a fantastic bike and performed flawlessly. It's fast and quick (and looks good too...). Thing is, I'm not fast or quick anymore... I've gotten used to bigger tires and a more upright position, and I just don't feel comfortable on it. This has been progressing over the last year or so, thus the 'retirement' a few months ago. And today's ride confirmed my feelings.

This fine machine will be looking for a new home

...possibly replaced by a new Sultan... ???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Time flies...
    Oh, and btw Jay... I hardly used the 'spike horns' at all today... guess I've gotten used to not having them as well.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Oh, and btw Jay... I hardly used the 'spike horns' at all today... guess I've gotten used to not having them as well.
    Ha-ha "spike horns" , was there much climbing on that ride? Ok so let me get this straight the older you get the bigger your bike gets, no? You would think it would be the other way around. You get old and there for you don't want to do the Gnar downhill but rather stay in shape with a XC machine. And so how many were on this ride? Were they all XC types? Did you question any of them to see if they would be interested in the Flux?
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-27-2008 at 02:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Time flies...
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Ha-ha "spike horns" , was there much climbing on that ride? Ok so let me get this straight the older you get the bigger your bike gets, no? You would think it would be the other way around. You get old and there for you don't want to do the Gnar downhill but rather stay in shape with a XC machine. And so how many were on this ride? Were they all XC types? Did you question any of them to see if they would be interested in the Flux?
    geez...

Haven't you ridden the Cuyamaca park loop? It's -all- climbing!! Well, about 4000' in 25 miles, if I recall... Not bad for San Diego.
    It's not about a "bigger" bike, it's all about comfort. The Flux flies, but it's works you too.
    Plus I've -really- gotten to like the feel of larger diameter tires
    If I were younger and / or a racer, the Flux would be very hard to beat. But I'm neither.. just an aging, fun-seeking trail rider.
    We had 6 total, 4 of which were small, light, xc racer types w/ negative body fat. Plus one bigger guy who was still stronger than me...
    Rode yesterday and today, and now I'm toasted! I'll get back on the SS in a few days...
    It's all good!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    ...possibly replaced by a new Sultan... ???
    Now the blood is flowing all the way to your brain!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Took the Flux out for a spin around town today and it still moves well. Fit-wise I'm liking the Sultan better. I am going to try and duplicate the fit of the Sultan on the Flux and see how well it works.

As a side note, I rode with a friend of mine Sunday. I was on the Sultan, he was on a Flux. I pedaled the Sultan to the top and we swapped bikes for the descent. I was impressed how well the Flux went down the hill. Not particularly technical, but enough to keep you on your toes. The Flux handled it with aplomb. If I can get the fit right, there may be a future still with the go-fast bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0