George Dickel
    Sep 2005

rehash -new wheels 5 spot

Ok, so I am done with DT Swiss - time for some new wheels. This has been asked many times, and did a search, but many are old enough I thought some new choices might be out there. I know many ride the mavic 819, but I don't do tubeless, and have too many tires I still can use so wanna use tubes. Looking to spend $400 or so - weight not a big issue, generally run 2.3-2.5 tires. Hope hubs, maybe, although rode wtb for quite some time with no issues - I am not a bling guy. If it matters, I go 185 plus gear. Looked at notubes website, but a little iffy on how their builds come out - some reviews not so great. All opinions welcome.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

trail fairy
    Check out the Sun Equaliser 29s [29 mm width not wheel size, e.g still 26" hoop]

I'm running the 31s on my Dh bike and love em, plus super easy to mount dismount tires ,unlike older rims this does not mean weak sidewall or bead support.

I like em anyways and well priced too, plus welded rim not SUP or clipped
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    If you have the money have a reputable wheel builder build you a set. It is worth the extra money and they will pay for themselves in the long run. I know there are a lot of good builders out there, but I highly recommend Larry at Mtn High Cyclery.

If you don't want tubeless maybe look at the Mavic 521 or WTB Trail Rims. If you have any thoughts of going tubeless in the future look at the 819 or Stans Flow.

Buy the best hubs you can afford. Maybe Hadley rear and Hope front?

Talk to a wheel builder and see what he suggests for spokes.

Hope this helps.
    TG

mtbr member

+1 for Larry

He will work with you to get the right wheelset for how you ride.......

bump and grind
    I'm running Hope Pro 2's with Syncros DP25 rims and DT REvo spokes on my DWSpot.
    The rims are 25mm wide (outside width) but still tough as nails but still reasonably light.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Running Hope Pro2's with Mavic719's...bullet proof! (97kg all in)

Members who have read this thread: 0