mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rear skewer too short on RFX ?

Installed a QR rear hub on my 08' RFX last night. The rear skewer is a Nashbar bolt on - basically a 5mm allen wrench is used instead of a QR lever. Well the dropouts must be wider than my last couple frames because the skewer engages only a few mm's of threads. Those running QR rears what skewers do you have ? Thanks

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    salsa flip off, stainless or bonty race cromo dependin on my mood. that means the salsa's are on the stinger now.

could ya have a 130mm road skewer rather than a 135 mtn? maybe ya trimmed it since yer last thinner dropout frame? maybe its just cut short at the factory. nashbar stuff isnt always known to be well thought out, hence the price.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Experienced the same thing with a bolt on skewer, they seem to be 5mm shorter than what's required, I checked a few....
    Ended up with an XT QR, strong reliable and convinient
    A different angle on bikes:
    www.ofanaim.net/has.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I started using the Crank Brothers Split skewers last season. The lever is split in two and makes it really easy to clamp them down tight. Very easy to release them, too. A bit pricey, but I really like them.

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    I have a bolt on rear HOPE 2 on my Spot and didn't notice any issues with it being short.

mtbr member
    CC is possibly true - You must have got a road skewer...

I dig trails!
    I have the same Nasbar bolt-ons, and have the same issue on thick drop out frames. They are the MTB version and they are short. Too bad as the weight is so good with no performance penalty.

Halo makes a long bolt-on that is similar, but I can't find it in stock. (it even comes in white! )

I am currently using XT QRs, which work very well.

P

trail fairy
    WTF I drop in for 5min and I find people in 2009 are still using 2c qrs on there RFX's WTF

Sheeesh
    10mm ta ladies! or get a flux even a Spot deserves a ta!

the ta, the chad, the chur..

Dropping out

Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    WTF I drop in for 5min and I find people in 2009 are still using 2c qrs on there RFX's WTF

Sheeesh
    10mm ta ladies! or get a flux even a Spot deserves a ta!

the ta, the chad, the chur..

Dropping out

I had a HD CK rear hub w/ Fun bolts - Wanted to try a 650b wheelset and go cheap on the hub but retain high engagement points enter the Halo Supa Drive 120 EP hub. Only downside is a QR only version. I agree QR's should be on road bikes but I still have my 20mm fork

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    I had a HD CK rear hub w/ Fun bolts - Wanted to try a 650b wheelset and go cheap on the hub but retain high engagement points enter the Halo Supa Drive 120 EP hub. Only downside is a QR only version. I agree QR's should be on road bikes but I still have my 20mm fork
    All good just winding, thought things were getting a little to PC around here needed some dirte mud slinging from the rear tire roost

650, huh, good to see some are still keep the Homie tradition alive and testing the waters
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0