Rear Shock--Push'd Float, CC or what?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Rear Shock--Push'd Float, CC or what?

Hi, long time lurker. I have an XCE with Romic rockers. Looking to lighten my bike a little and was considering an air shock to replace the romic. I have a spare AD-10, but reading on the shock forum, everyone's raving about Push'd floats and the other stable platform shocks. Any opinions out there on what I should use/get? What have others tried on their XCE with success?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider
    Hi, long time lurker. I have an XCE with Romic rockers. Looking to lighten my bike a little and was considering an air shock to replace the romic. I have a spare AD-10, but reading on the shock forum, everyone's raving about Push'd floats and the other stable platform shocks. Any opinions out there on what I should use/get? What have others tried on their XCE with success?

Thanks in advance.
    After enjoying the improvements a Push-ed Fox RC on my RFX - I went ahead and Pushed another RC for my XCE - best performance I've ever had on that bike (I'm coming from a Romic) yes it's a little lighter (and you could further lighten it with a TI spring!) - but the stable-platform for uphill pedaling, it's ability to stick to the ground on descents - all make it worthwhile...

in terms of making you XCE lighter - carbon bar? Stan's tubeless? single-ply tires? ti rails on your seat? - lots to do before you go to a air shock

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    in terms of making you XCE lighter - carbon bar? Stan's tubeless? single-ply tires? ti rails on your seat? - lots to do before you go to a air shock[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to strike the balance between strength and weight. Let me tell you my build:

RF Next LP cranks and BB
    XT cassette/XT front der.
    Sram X.O rear Der./9.0 sl shifters/PC 99 chain
    Syncros post and WTB Laser v Stealth (ti rails) seat
    Avid CPS 185 disc/Avid Ti levers
    Marzocchi 2002 Z1 FR 130
    Thompson stem
    CK headset
    Syncros riser bar
    Wheels (now building) (DT 240s, DT Comp spokes, Velocity VXC rims)
    Kenda Kharma DTC tires
    WTB pedals
    XCE (with Easton Elite tubing) with romic shock

The following are the areas where I think I can lose some weight, with my comments on how I see the weight/strength tradeoff:

Syncros post -- could go carbon, but I don't ever want to be in an emergency room with a doctor pulling carbon fibers out of my arse. I figure at 220 grams the syncros is light enough

Avid CPS 185 disc/Avid Ti levers--could go to Magura Martas and save 1/2 pound, but I lose the adjustability of the Avids and the power of the 185 mm rotor, which I've grown to rely on. Can't justify the change.

Marzocchi 2002 Z1 FR 130 -- obviously could lose 1/2 pound by going to a Minute or slightly less with a Fox Talas, but in my view Z1 gives me: (1) great ride; (2) ease of service/repair; (3) durability; and (4) almost 5 in. of travel. I would consider changing to a lighter fork if I was convinced the tradeoff would not compromise these attributes of the Z1 too greatly.

Thompson stem -- had a Ritchey Pro at 145 grams -- strong, but not strong enough.

Syncros riser bar -- see comments on seat post, but I value my face even more (though I'll allow that others may not!)

Wheels (now building) (DT 240s, DT Comp spokes, Velocity VXC rims)--this is about as strong/light as I could figure, and even still, I may need to upgrade to the Hugi FR. Could have gone with Sapim Spokes, but at some point I've got to be realistic. With this new wheelset, I'll save 3/4 of a pound.

Kenda Kharma DTC tires -- Python Airlights pinch flatted too often. The Kendas saved me 1.5 lbs.

XCE -- I'll never part with it, so don't bother asking.

Romic -- Hasn't failed me yet, but with air shocks weighing as much as 1.2 pounds less, and everyone raving about the new technology, figure I have to explore

mtbr member
    Nice ride. Looks like a solid set up, which is why there aren't any obvious places to save weight without compromise. A few observations though:
    -Never heard of anyone running a 130mm fork on an XCE, although I like the 120mm Black on mine well enough. Not sure about the '02 Z1's, but the '03/'04 models were over five pounds. At that weight you could easily lose a pound or so with a lighter, but still coil sprung fork: Manitou Black, White Brothers VT 1.3, Fox Vanilla, Marzocchi Marathon S 120.
    -I think the Romic is heavier than a Vanilla RC. I'm not sure how much the Romic is, but the 6.5" RC (1.75" stroke) on my XCE was ~530 grams w/ 500 lb. spring. You may be able to save 1/4-1/2 lb. by going to the Fox, and could then get it Push'ed to boot.
    -The tires seem a bit out of place on this kind of bike. Unless you've experimented already and decided that the skinny tires are for you, take a look at the plethora of 600-750 gram, ~2.3" tires available. You'll gain some weight of course, but the 2.5 Kenda Nevegals were one of the best upgrades to my XCE (although they did come in at 840 grams).

I think it is physically impossible to defeat the urge to upgrade, but sometimes you just have to realize that you've put a lot of time and effort into getting your bike just the way it is, and it ain't gonna get any better. That seems to be about the time that the new frame bug bites you though...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    Nice ride. Looks like a solid set up, which is why there aren't any obvious places to save weight without compromise. A few observations though:
    -Never heard of anyone running a 130mm fork on an XCE, although I like the 120mm Black on mine well enough. Not sure about the '02 Z1's, but the '03/'04 models were over five pounds. At that weight you could easily lose a pound or so with a lighter, but still coil sprung fork: Manitou Black, White Brothers VT 1.3, Fox Vanilla, Marzocchi Marathon S 120.
    -I think the Romic is heavier than a Vanilla RC. I'm not sure how much the Romic is, but the 6.5" RC (1.75" stroke) on my XCE was ~530 grams w/ 500 lb. spring. You may be able to save 1/4-1/2 lb. by going to the Fox, and could then get it Push'ed to boot.
    -The tires seem a bit out of place on this kind of bike. Unless you've experimented already and decided that the skinny tires are for you, take a look at the plethora of 600-750 gram, ~2.3" tires available. You'll gain some weight of course, but the 2.5 Kenda Nevegals were one of the best upgrades to my XCE (although they did come in at 840 grams).

I think it is physically impossible to defeat the urge to upgrade, but sometimes you just have to realize that you've put a lot of time and effort into getting your bike just the way it is, and it ain't gonna get any better. That seems to be about the time that the new frame bug bites you though...
    Thanks.

Actually, I looked into the 130mm issue on the XCE quite a bit before buying it. Turner I believe says anything up to about 120 works with the geometry. It is a little slack for climbing, but I never climb anything significant without using the ECC. It works great, but I think a Fox Talas would be the best option for geometry issues. As for weight, I've never weighed it, but Marz listed it at 4.2--it is lighter than the new generation, but slightly less stiff. I've considered all the shocks you list, but I don't think any are lighter to a measurable degree.

The fox is lighter than the Romic and there seem to be more Ti springs available for it. Perhaps that's an option--best of both worlds I guess.

The tires are not bad, I'll switch to a higher volume tire (Geax Sturdy 2.25) when I plan to be in rock gardens, but for now it's mostly cross-country and the Kenda do just fine.

I don't think I'll go anywhere on the frame issue, because I already know that decreased weight involves a compromise in the strength of the frame, and the performance of the bike. Right now, I could go to carbon post/bar, Margura Martas, AD-10, Ritchey stem, Mavix 317s/DT Revolutions, etc., and get my bike down in the 26 lb range, but all of those parts bring compromises which for the most part I have decided against. Most of the weight is in the build, so I just don't see what I can get by going to a new frame other than a lesser bike.

Thanks for the feedback.