Rear Shock for Burner?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear Shock for Burner?

Hi All, assuming that either option is available, wich rear shock would you recommend: the Fox Propedal or Manitou Swinger? Like everyone else, I seek a plush, bob-free ride, as well as reliability. Many thanks.

PS My current thought is to go with Swinger (which seems to be getting pretty good reviews) and send it off to be "PUSHed" if it blows after the warranty period. Nonetheless, I would certainly appreciate your opinions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lushmd
    Hi All, assuming that either option is available, wich rear shock would you recommend: the Fox Propedal or Manitou Swinger? Like everyone else, I seek a plush, bob-free ride, as well as reliability. Many thanks.

PS My current thought is to go with Swinger (which seems to be getting pretty good reviews) and send it off to be "PUSHed" if it blows after the warranty period. Nonetheless, I would certainly appreciate your opinions.
    I'm not certain PUSH services Swingers. Check:
    http://www.pushindustries.com/index.php

Seems to me folks send their shocks to PUSH to have a stable platform added, so I think you wouldn't need to send it to them since both have it (unless you want a rebuild).

See this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ght=pushed+fox

I have a Swinger, and really like it. I've only been riding the bike for a couple of weeks, so I have no idea how durable it is. Fox makes a good product. It's a tough choice. I think I'd have ordered the Fox if they had it in my size at the time. Can't complain about the Swinger so far, though - it's pretty plush. Time will tell...
    Last edited by DLine; 06-08-2004 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice DLine. I apologize for troubling forum-goers with this question, but I just want to get the most "bang for my buck." I have little experience with full suspension bikes (my current bike is a specialized rockhopper comp) and am looking to upgrade. In any case, I am fairly confident that I will be happy with the swinger but I just wanted to hear others' perspectives.

PS As per this thread, it seems that PUSH will soon modify swingers as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lushmd

I've been riding w/the Swinger on my new Burner for about a month and I'd have to say that "so far" it's been a great shock. Time will tell as for durability. I use a lizard skin cover over the shock to keep some of the grime off of the seals and I think this helps
    prolong shock life.

I've had A LOT of Fox shocks on my previous bikes and my experience w/them
    has been mixed. Overall I think I would stick w/my original choice and
    use the Swinger....hope this helps...

mtbr member
    Right now, I am debating between the stock swinger and one of the new fox float triad shocks (one it comes out)...I am tempted by all of the positive swinger reviews...at the same time, the consensus seems to be that fox products are more reliable...also, the triad might complement the fox float fork (2004) nicely...oh well...decisions, decisions...