Thread: Rate This

Built to Last

Rate This

What is the homer opinion on these two wheelsets and build kit? Main differences are the forks and the wheels.
    Which build would you choose for a decent 5 spot build?

2009 Fox Vanilla RL Fork

DT Swiss Wheelset with 370 hubs and 430 rims
    Shimano Hone XC Crankset in 175mm
    Shimano LX Trigger Shifters
    Avid Juicy 5 Brakes with 160mm rotors
    Shimano XT rear derailleur and front Derailleur
    Shimano XT Cassette 11-34
    Shimano HG53 chain
    Cane Creek S3 headset in black
    Easton Monkey Lite High Rise carbon riser bars
    Thomson X.4 Stem
    Thomson Elite Seatpost

2008 Fox Talas RLC Fork
    Mavic Crossride wheelset
    Shimano Hone XC Crankset in 175mm
    Shimano LX Trigger Shifters
    Avid Juicy 5 Brakes with 160mm rotors
    Shimano XT rear derailleur and front Derailleur
    Shimano XT Cassette 11-34
    Shimano HG53 chain
    Cane Creek S3 headset in black
    Easton Monkey Lite High Rise carbon riser bars
    Thomson X.4 Stem
    Thomson Elite Seatpost

mtbr member
    160mm rotors? I would at least put 180mm on the front. And normally I prefer not to have Mavic wheels, they tend to have bad bearings. But my crossride set is going strong after a years abuse.

Also, I don't like adjustable travel forks. For my own 5 spot, I'm getting a Rock Shox Revelation 426, which is reported to have less progression in the air spring and have a plusher ride.

mtbr member
    I find Sram X9 much less finnicky than XT in terms of setting up and just keeping the shifting working properly. I would adjust the shifting on XT stuff during every ride. With Sram about once a season. So I would go X9 on the shifters and rear derailleur. I would also get Pro IIs laced to Mavic 819 rims. I like Mavic UST rims but don't like their hubs. The rest of your component selection is solid! But like the previous poster suggested 180/160 or 180/180 makes sense for the rotors. I had a Pike 454 u-turn on my spot and have fox 36 RC2 on my RFX and Reba Team on my Flux so I like Rock Shox and Fox forks. If I were getting a fork for a Spot tomorrow I would get a Revelation with Maxle Lite.

Moosehead
    +1 to the above suggestions, espec adjustable fork. The RS uturns and Fox talas work well if ur climbing. I would also suggest upgrading to the Juicy 7's or Elixir R's if the budget allows. As a Clyde that goes OTB semi-regularly, I've sworn off carbon bars too, YMMV.

Built to Last
    Thank you for your thoughts. I was hoping for some comments on this build kit specifically, the budget will allow one or the other only for now.

hmmm. talus rlc vs vanilla rl crossride vs. dt swiss 370/430....decisions.

mtbr member
    I ain't no Homer but I do like my Crossmax wheelset, I'm assuming they are similar to the Crossrides.

I've had these on my Superlight since 2002 and they've held up very well. No bearing problems like Zonoskar (never heard this either), they are super easy to work on and adjust. The only downfall I guess would be Mavic's use of proprietary stuff, but I've never broke anything so this hasn't been an issue.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Coil is better than air and everybody knows it. Everything else is identical.

Members who have read this thread: 0