Racing my 5 Spot this weekend and I'm nervous/excited!- Mtbr.com
    Toby Wong?

Racing my 5 Spot this weekend and I'm nervous/excited!

Wow, I haven't raced in...lemme think....10 years! But there is a small race here in Bend and I'm going to enter the Beginner's class. It's a 15 mile loop, one lap, and I'll be in the "Veterans" category (30-39) cause I'm 31. It's a really smooth singletrack twister up to Voodoo, then it gets a bit bumpy and very back and forth, then onto GS which is wayy fun. Bend doesn't have lots of up and down or sick drops, but we have miles and miles and miles of smoove singletrack.

Just thinking about it right now puts butterflies in my stomach, more out of excitement than nervousness. I know the loop pretty well.....it's funny, when i first moved here with my Trek 970 hardtail, the loop would take me 90 minutes. Now it only takes me 60 on the 5 Spot (gotta factor familiarity into that), but still, I'm sooo much faster now.

I'm super stoked. Gonna bring my trainer so I can warm up before the race. Any thoughts, other than going as fast as possible?

WHOOP WHOOP!

KCC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Wow that would be fun. Rode those trails a few weeks ago, very nice, especially the Whoops trail going clockwise.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    Wow, I haven't raced in...lemme think....10 years! But there is a small race here in Bend and I'm going to enter the Beginner's class. It's a 15 mile loop, one lap, and I'll be in the "Veterans" category (30-39) cause I'm 31. It's a really smooth singletrack twister up to Voodoo, then it gets a bit bumpy and very back and forth, then onto GS which is wayy fun. Bend doesn't have lots of up and down or sick drops, but we have miles and miles and miles of smoove singletrack.

Just thinking about it right now puts butterflies in my stomach, more out of excitement than nervousness. I know the loop pretty well.....it's funny, when i first moved here with my Trek 970 hardtail, the loop would take me 90 minutes. Now it only takes me 60 on the 5 Spot (gotta factor familiarity into that), but still, I'm sooo much faster now.

I'm super stoked. Gonna bring my trainer so I can warm up before the race. Any thoughts, other than going as fast as possible?

WHOOP WHOOP!
    Hey Tap,
    didn't realize that was this weekend’s race coarse. You probably already now this but make sure to get out fast. Those trails can be very tight, no room to pass. It would really suck to get stuck behind a slower rider in those techy sections on GS. Also, try to use that nervous energy to hall a$$. Have a great race and let us know how you do.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Tappoix]Gonna bring my trainer so I can warm up before the race. Any thoughts, other than going as fast as possible?
    QUOTE]

Two thoughts:
    1. The fact that you're going to warm up on your trainer before a beginner race demonstrates a complete disregard for what anyone else might think about you. So does the fact that you're racing a 5 Spot. Cool.
    2. Do whatever it takes to get a trail named after you. Have fun!

Toby Wong?
    Are you kidding? I'm PUMPED! I love my bike so much, it's gonna be fun. And if I win Beginner, then I'll move to Sport. Either way, I'm going for it!

And to get a trail named after you around here (like Phil, Kent, etc) means many hard hard hours building the trails, not riding them. Much respect and thanks to those guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tappoix
    Are you kidding? I'm PUMPED! I love my bike so much, it's gonna be fun. And if I win Beginner, then I'll move to Sport. Either way, I'm going for it!

And to get a trail named after you around here (like Phil, Kent, etc) means many hard hard hours building the trails, not riding them. Much respect and thanks to those guys.
    Yeah, just giving you a hard time. Racing a 5 Spot and warming up on a trainer just seem to represent conflicting approaches to racing- one suggests a laid back attitude, while the other is pretty "Type A" in my book. I used to haul my trainer around to warmup before races, and probably still would if it fit the 29" wheels on my hardtail; I also raced my 30+ pound XCE a few times last year, so I've been there too. Tear it up on your Spot and let us know how it goes.

Members who have read this thread: 0