A question for Turner owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. A question for Turner owners

Donít take this the wrong way because I really think that Turner is one of the premier bike companies in the business. Iíve met most of the guys at Sea Otter and talked to them on the phone, great guys and a great product. Iíve ridden the XCE, 5 Spot and now the Burner (which Iím dying to buy). Besides the XCE, which I had a chance to go on an extended off road ride at Sea Otter a couple years ago, most of my spins have been just around the bike shop lot for 20-30 minutes. Although I liked all of the Turners Iíve ridden based on the reputation of the bikes I almost expected a religious experience, which I didnít get. Does the bike just grow on most people the more you ride them off road? For what itís worth Iíve owned a ton of mountain bikes (Cannondale, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, Ellsworth, Santa Cruz, and Giant) and ridden a bunch more and there have been bikes that just felt Ďrightí from the start. Am I the only person to have this experience or do you really start to appreciate your Turner half way through a 4 hour ride?

mtbr member

It took a few weeks for me

The 5 Spot always felt like a good ride but it took a few weeks to really start appreciating it's qualities.

It depends on each individual rider, but for me personally I needed to get used to the bike before I could really recognise its strengths. Actually, I could notice on the climbs pretty soon that it was an improvement on my old bike, but it took longer to really start to let the bike go a bit more on the descents.

Anyway, it is so much better than my old bike, and I like the Spot much more than when I first got it four months ago.

Ouch, I am hot!

Almost Did Not Buy After Test Ride

Before buying my 5-Spot, I test rode one for about 1.5 hours on the trails (Desert Classic in Phoenix). I was not impressed and nearly decided to get another bike. First, I rode a trail that I was not familiar with having ridden it only once before, thus it provided very little comparison to my normal rides. Second, the trail was mostly flat and not technical. Like a parking lot cruise, Desert Classic offered very little of the things that allow Turners to shine. Third, the test bike was not really set up the way I would have liked, for example, the seat was uncomfortable for me and I could not get over that. Fourth, the Turner was set up in a much more upright position than I was used to on my Superlight. Again, I could not get over this to enjoy the ride. Weeks later I did in fact buy the Turner. I think it was because I could not get over the fact that I wanted one so bad. Going off just the test ride indicated to me that I did not like the bike. Thankfully, in this case, my "I can't get over it" mentality saved me because once I decided I wanted a Turner I had to buy the bike. It took me 15 minutes into my first ride on my new 5-Spot to realize I loved the bike. I took it over the trails most familiar to me and realized this bike sings. You won't have a religious experience, but Turners are truly awesome bikes.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    May 2004

Took me About 5 Seconds

Quote Originally Posted by CraterMaker
    Don’t take this the wrong way because I really think that Turner is one of the premier bike companies in the business. I’ve met most of the guys at Sea Otter and talked to them on the phone, great guys and a great product. I’ve ridden the XCE, 5 Spot and now the Burner (which I’m dying to buy). Besides the XCE, which I had a chance to go on an extended off road ride at Sea Otter a couple years ago, most of my spins have been just around the bike shop lot for 20-30 minutes. Although I liked all of the Turners I’ve ridden based on the reputation of the bikes I almost expected a religious experience, which I didn’t get. Does the bike just grow on most people the more you ride them off road? For what it’s worth I’ve owned a ton of mountain bikes (Cannondale, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, Ellsworth, Santa Cruz, and Giant) and ridden a bunch more and there have been bikes that just felt ‘right’ from the start. Am I the only person to have this experience or do you really start to appreciate your Turner half way through a 4 hour ride?
    Took me about 5 seconds to recognise the 5 Spot was a bit special compared to the bikes I'd had. It was just so much better balanced which you can feel from just a few slow speed circles in a car park. Next was a few rides later when I was able to let it go down a fast rocky descent and without trying caught one rider on a Spec Enduro and another on an Intense Tazer. Sometimes when climbing the bike seems to spring forward somehow like its helping you- weird but fun.

I think what does take getting used to with the 5 Spot is the steep seat angle which makes you ride the bike on the forks more. I'm still not dialed into that and so I'm sure I haven't yet expoited the bike's abilities in singletrack.

Lay off the Levers
    ... Am I the only person to have this experience or do you really start to appreciate your Turner half way through a 4 hour ride?
    Bikes have become so very good at what they do that parkinglot, bikepaths and brown-semi-paved overgroomed trails won't show much more than how a bike fits.

Consider this example, it would be next to impossible to tell how a DH bike would perfom in a parkinglot. They'd all be saggy sluggish and mushy. But on a proper DH run it would be immediately apparant that they absolutely rage...and each one would have a VERY different personality.

My 5 Spot dosen't feel any different than any other bike on the floor in my LBS...in their parkinglot, hopping off a curb or the like. But on the trail...the rocky steep rut-filled root strewn nasty technical fun-loving trail, the bike screams, dares me to push it, pulls me up stuff I used to bail on, and gets me through point-n-pray sections leaving me wondering what I was worried about.

People wax about the bike...me especially...but just look how many do. Better yet look real hard for gripes about what's missing. If what you find is said to be missing is something you can't live without then you know to keep looking.

Last point, consider what kind of riding you'll be buying the bike for. If it's pure rolling smoothish XC then you're probably overshooting your need. If it's for Trail riding, with agressive tones, then you'll be in heaven.

G'luck! & Cheers !
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

I ended up buying

my RFX on reputation alone, there was no way I could test ride one beforehand. It only took a couple of rides to start feeling the magic.

You've really got to push the bike through different trail scenarios to appreciate it's versatility like rocky climbs, steep descents (which had me laughing out loud the first time I did them on my Turner), drops, jumps, etc...

Clem

No, that's not phonetic
    I liked my XCE from the get-go, but my Spot was a little weird at first since I was expecting something just like my XCE but with more travel, which the Spot is not. It depends on what you are used to and expecting.

This winter I domoed an Intense Spider and a Yet! 575 for a day. I pretty much loved both bikes right off. I was able to set them up to feel like my Turners in terms of geometry. Both offered great ride characteristics. I don't think that Turners are leagues better in any single regard than other bikes, I just personally find them better in sum total than any other bike I have tried when EVERY aspect of the bike comes under scrutiny. Perfect? No. The best? Heck yeah.

I hopped on a Titus Switchblade for about 10-15 minutes on the climb up Porcupine in Moab (our group was bike swapping). I absolutely hated that bike. I cannot explain why, but it was about the worst set-up, strangest feeling thing I have ever sat on. And it in execution is almost exactly the same as a Turner. On the other hand, Tommyrod74 sold his XCE and is much happier on a Switchblade now. Go figure...
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Do It Yourself
    It's not really strange at all how some people are drawn to certain bikes. Even minute differences in setup can drastically change the feel of a bike. I've swaped bikes with people that had almost the exact same bike as me and the other bike always felt "weird". Maybe it's the bike that chooses the rider?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Although I liked all of the Turners Iíve ridden based on the reputation of the bikes I almost expected a religious experience, which I didnít get. Does the bike just grow on most people the more you ride them off road?
    It's not so much the things it does, but the things it doesn't do...

It doesn't creak, it doesn't squeak, it doesn't flex, it doesn't break, it doesn't require you to replace the shock/suspension bushing every few months, it doesn't pack up the swingarm with mud, it doesn't get twitchy at speed, it doesn't dent the first time you crash, etc. It just quietly goes about it's business day in and day out. It's something you appreciate more and more the longer you have it.

You tend not to notice the things a bike doesn't do. In fact, you often don't notice them at all until you get on a bike that does. So, I wouldn't necessarily expect it to knock your socks off on a test ride. I'm not saying that the bikes don't ride very well, because I think they do. But, so do lots of other bikes. Your first impression might have a lot more to do with fit, setup, familiarity, etc. than it does the bike itself.

No, that's not phonetic
    What Tullebukk said, x2.

mad aussie

5-spot gets better and better

Just riding around the parking lot all bikes feel roughly the same, it is only on an extended ride when you learn to appreciate the bike. My perspective is that the 'spot fits me just right. It has the right top tube length, seat angle and head angle to make me feel like the bike is an extension of me. I have owned a couple of Titus and an Orange, they were all "good" bikes, but they didnt work for me like the Turner does. Interestingly both of them had longer top tubes than the Turner. The last bike I felt that good about was an old hardtail Voodoo, interestingly it had the same steep seat angle and top tube length of the Turner.
    It is a a personal thing, for me, the Turner just plain works well. I had no trouble riding it down Telegraph Pass Trail at South Mountain, which was a white knuckle descent on my other bikes.

No, that's not phonetic
    How funny you would mention the Voodoo. On the same Porcupine ride where I tried the Switchblade, another guy had a Voodoo hardtail. We swapped bikes for most of the climb to the rim (3 miles of VERY rough climbing) and I felt amost instantly comfortable on his bike despite the narrow bars and wierd pedals. The whole way up to the rim on my Spot he kept saying, "Wow. Wow. I can't believe it. Wow." It was his first time on a fully and he said the cockpit fit just like his Hoodoo. Its funny how two completely different bikes can fit and handle so similarly...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The whole way up to the rim on my Spot he kept saying, "Wow. Wow. I can't believe it. Wow." It was his first time on a fully and he said the cockpit fit just like his Hoodoo.
    Thanks a lot Tscheezy , now the bastid, the one on the VooDoo, is constantly asking me to swap bikes with him so that he can ride my Spot. And when I do he still says, "Wow. Wow. I can't believe it. Wow. This thing fits just like my VooDoo.Wow." He really just needs to buy his own. I keep finding him killer deals in the Classifieds and on eBay, but he just won't pull the trigger. Speaking of eBay, did you guys see the new Large Silver that went for $1250?

mad aussie
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    How funny you would mention the Voodoo. On the same Porcupine ride where I tried the Switchblade, another guy had a Voodoo hardtail. We swapped bikes for most of the climb to the rim (3 miles of VERY rough climbing) and I felt amost instantly comfortable on his bike despite the narrow bars and wierd pedals. The whole way up to the rim on my Spot he kept saying, "Wow. Wow. I can't believe it. Wow." It was his first time on a fully and he said the cockpit fit just like his Hoodoo. Its funny how two completely different bikes can fit and handle so similarly...
    I think it might have to do with the fact that the Voodoo has an extremely sloped top tube with low standover, a steep seat tube angle (mine was 73,5) and a moderate top tube. I have heard that Joe Murray is bringing the Voodoo line back out again, including a single speed......slobber, slobber, drool, drool.