Question for those riding both "Sultan" and "RFX type bikes- Mtbr.com
    Powered by ice cream.

Question for those riding both "Sultan" and "RFX type bikes

I have spent the last two years or so riding exclusively 29" wheels in formats from single speed rigid through 5" travel full suspension.

I have recently spent some time on a Bionicon Edison that a friend is selling. This nifty bike has 6" of travel front and rear, and a very clever way to vary head and seat angle....but that is another story.

My usual 29" tire is the Kenda Nevegal in 2.2 format. The Bionicon sports 2.5 Nevegals. Same tread pattern, but 6mm wider. I believe these tires are about the same weight. Both bikes are tubeless.

Here is what I notice: The Bionicon has simply awesome slow speed traction. Climbing or descending. Cornering traction is about the same on the bikes. The Bionicon is also a bomb downhill with the big meats, big fork, and 66 degree HTA.

Here is the problem: Dear lord, who put out the anchor? The Bionicon can't roll flats or uphill to save its life. It is an amazing chore (for me) to climb any sustained grade. It will go up anything, but it feels slow and energy sapping. Waaaaay worse than my 29" suspension bike with the 2.2 Nevs.

Here is the question for those of you who spend time on both big travel, big meat type bikes, and 29"ers:

Is the slow laborious rolling just the nature of the bigger tires?
    They have their advantages and this is the disadvantage.

Are there tires out there that will keep the grip of the Nevs, but lose the rolling resistance or are these mutually exclusive?

If I want to ride a bigger travel bike with bigger meats, is this simply the price I have to pay? In other words: will I have to man up and stop being a weenie?

Is the issue more the tires or the wheelsize?

I don't ride enough of the small wheel format to know if it simply the tires, or the 26 vs 29 that is the issue. I have to say, I really enjoyed the ride of the bigger bike for the most part, (especially downhill) but I think, if I had to push it around all the time, I would come to hate it for general riding.

Turner content: lots of Y'all spend time on lots of different wheel formats. (Unlike 29" weenies like myself).

Bodhisattva
    you need to try a bike with shorter chainstays

No, that's not phonetic
    All (most?) other things being equal, 29ers should only carry more momentum through rough stuff where the wheel needs to change from the forward direction to the vertical when encountering obstacles. The closer the obstacle's height is to the level of the wheel's axle, the greater the amount of your forward momentum that gets eaten up overcoming that obstacle, and that is where the 29er has a noticeable advantage. If the fatter tire 26" tires feel slower on smooth trail sections, then the problem is not in the overall wheel diameter but most likely in the tire itself.

Are either of the the Neves DTC tires? Sticky rubber can feel slow, and having a harder center line of knobs can help. Most of the perceived effort in keeping a tire up to speed comes from the rear wheel. Maybe use a more pedal friendly meat in back and keep the fatty up front.

I have nearly 100 tires in my shop, and I have not found a silver bullet yet.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

rr
    I don't do PC
    If they are the DH casing 2.5 version then the anchor feeling is def the tires, I have these on my DH bike and they weigh 1500g each. I used these tires on my RFX last year a few times at Keystone and loved em but tried em on a trail type ride and it seriously felt like someone had filled the tubes with water, or concrete!

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    If the fatter tire 26" tires feel slower on smooth trail sections, then the problem is not in the overall wheel diameter but most likely in the tire itself.

Are either of the the Neves DTC tires?
    That is exactly where I notice it the most. They are great in the rough stuff. Impressively so.

I'll have to check the tread compound.

Also, FWIW, it is a hoot to ride a bike that can change it's angles in an instant at the push of a button. Of course this gives you the opportunity to have exactly the wrong geometry for any given situation. It's very educational, cuz when it's wrong, believe me you know.

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    If they are the DH casing 2.5 version then the anchor feeling is def the tires, I have these on my DH bike and they weigh 1500g each. I used these tires on my RFX last year a few times at Keystone and loved em but tried em on a trail type ride and it seriously felt like someone had filled the tubes with water, or concrete!
    They feel like they weigh 1500 grams, but unfortunately, they are not the DH casing.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don't have a lot of time to respond right now (writing a &*#$ing paper), but 29ers are easier to keep going, harder to accelerate. 26ers are easier to accelerate, but harder to keep going. The bigger the tires you use on the 26ers, the closer they come. I know the exiwolfs suck eric, but I don't see much more, if any, difference in traction, I just see a big difference in stability, whether it's in a turn or not. The 26er won't be better in these regards, but I don't think it's hugely worse either. Perhaps a lot of 29ers previously rode bikes with 2.3" tires or less, and now with 29ers they feel a huge difference between what they previously rode. I'd also be curious about the bionicon's geometry and how "short coupled" it may be, because there's a lot more to stability than just the wheels.

ASFAIK, it's just price you pay, less stability and less momentum with the smaller tires, but less stability=maneuverability.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

rr
    I don't do PC
    The 2.5 Nevy's have huge knobage for sure, especially compared to the smaller 2.1 or 2.2 version, they ride completely diff in my experience.

A 2.5 in the back is really overkill for trail riding, try a smaller tire in the back or better rolling 2.5 tires, DHF's?

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Here is the problem: Dear lord, who put out the anchor? The Bionicon can't roll flats or uphill to save its life. It is an amazing chore (for me) to climb any sustained grade. It will go up anything, but it feels slow and energy sapping. Waaaaay worse than my 29" suspension bike with the 2.2 Nevs.

Here is the question for those of you who spend time on both big travel, big meat type bikes, and 29"ers:

Is the slow laborious rolling just the nature of the bigger tires?
    They have their advantages and this is the disadvantage.

Are there tires out there that will keep the grip of the Nevs, but lose the rolling resistance or are these mutually exclusive?

If I want to ride a bigger travel bike with bigger meats, is this simply the price I have to pay? In other words: will I have to man up and stop being a weenie?

Is the issue more the tires or the wheelsize?

I don't ride enough of the small wheel format to know if it simply the tires, or the 26 vs 29 that is the issue. I have to say, I really enjoyed the ride of the bigger bike for the most part, (especially downhill) but I think, if I had to push it around all the time, I would come to hate it for general riding.

Turner content: lots of Y'all spend time on lots of different wheel formats. (Unlike 29" weenies like myself).
    I have about 15 months on 29ers (3 bikes total) but have switched over to an RFX in the past few months.

I think a lot of the slowness you describe on the flats and hills has got to be the tire. I run a WTB Prowler XT on the back of the RFX, and while it is a slooow tire, it absolutely rails going uphill. I seem to remember that even the Neve 2.3 felt really slow on the Flux. Dropping to a 2.3 faster rolling tire on the rear would probably solve that problem.

I think that if you want to run bigger meats you are going to give up some speed--but you will gain a lot of control.

My impressions of the RFX, compared to my last three 29ers:

Easier to accelerate uphill. Easier to pedal (in the saddle) uphill, even tho my wheelset weights the same as the 29er set and I am running beefier tires. I had a 20t granny on the 29er.

Rails corners much better, and I have much more control. Faster DH accelleration. Easier to throw the bike around.

Does not carry momentum as well, and sucks to pedal out of the saddle. Does not roll over some stuff as well as the 29er. Not really a fun bike for extended riding on the flats; a Spot or Flux would be better (but so would a 29er).

29er much better in sand and gravel, and a much better out of the saddle climber.

My two cents. YMMV.

Powered by ice cream.
    The 2.5 Nevy's have huge knobage for sure, especially compared to the smaller 2.1 or 2.2 version, they ride completely diff in my experience.

A 2.5 in the back is really overkill for trail riding, try a smaller tire in the back or better rolling 2.5 tires, DHF's?
    The rider I am borrowing the bike from outweighs me by at least 50 lbs, so he really likes the big, big meats. I could probably get away with less.

The tire is the 2.5 Stick-E folder which according to Kenda is 900 gms. My usual 2.2 is the DTC compound and weighs 827 gms. Not a big difference. Also the knobbage is at least 1-2mm greater on the 26" tire. The compound and knob difference probably explains what I am feeling.

Man, climbing the road back up to my house I wanted to blow my brains out.

mtbr member
    TLL: Which 29ers were you on? I'm just curious so I can have a frame of reference. Would you rather be on a FS 29er or RFX at a place like Moab?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    TLL: Which 29ers were you on? I'm just curious so I can have a frame of reference. Would you rather be on a FS 29er or RFX at a place like Moab?
    I'm not TLL, but I'll be bringing my 6" 26er (Ventana Terremoto) to Moab. The Sultan is capable for most of Moab but is overmatched by the superchunk. After Moab my Terremoto will be on the market.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    After Moab my Terremoto will be on the market.
    Making room in the stable to buy my RFX?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Making room in the stable to buy my RFX?
    Is "RFX" another way of saying Roubaix SL2?

mtbr member
    I'm not TLL, but I'll be bringing my 6" 26er (Ventana Terremoto) to Moab. The Sultan is capable for most of Moab but is overmatched by the superchunk. After Moab my Terremoto will be on the market.
    Thanks, Squeaky! So what will you take to Moab next year?

Powered by ice cream.
    you need to try a bike with shorter chainstays
    Chur.

Bodhisattva
    Thanks, Squeaky! So what will you take to Moab next year?
    Don't know. Will worry about it next year.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yours and Fo's matching Moto's will be so cute at THC, have you discussed matching outfits as well?

try driving your car less
    i have a 29er SS and hear you.

nothing is perfect. you have found the reason people have lots of bikes.

i want an rfx or 5 spot for less smooth rides. 29er for smoothies.

seriously, try a highline.
    Only boring people get bored.

TLL
    mtbr member
    I owned the following 29ers:
    On One Inbred with a Rigid fork (later put the F29 on it just for fun)
    Turner Sultan with WB Fluid 135
    Ventana El Padrino with Fox F29

Of the three, I liked the Sultan the best. The only reason I got rid of it was that it was too long in the toptube for me. This was confirmed to me when I jumped down to the Ventana--It had an inch shorter TT and it felt alomost perfect. The RFX has a 24.6 TT; with a 50mm stem it is perfect. Actually, better than perfect.

If I had it to do over or was buying another 29er it would be the Sultan, but in a smaller size, and I'd deal with the mile long seatpost. Had the Sultan had a shorter TT I doubt I would have sold it.

Having never ridden Moab, I can't say, but Squeaky has answered that. I'd guess for me it would be the RFX.

Hope this helps.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Yours and Fo's matching Moto's will be so cute at THC, have you discussed matching outfits as well?
    Doesn't Fo have Ironic CamoFo paint on his?

trail fairy
    Why not mount 2.5 tires on your Sultan I think that will clear things up
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Powered by ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Why not mount 2.5 tires on your Sultan I think that will clear things up
    Because they don't exist (at least outside of prototype form). 2.2 is the largest for the Nev and others are not appreciable larger despite boasting larger numbers.

trail fairy
    Because they don't exist (at least outside of prototype form). 2.2 is the largest for the Nev and others are not appreciable larger despite boasting larger numbers.
    Really my bad didn't know that, carry on, learn something everyday!

chur..
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Living the Dream

How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Of the three, I liked the Sultan the best. The only reason I got rid of it was that it was too long in the toptube for me. This was confirmed to me when I jumped down to the Ventana--It had an inch shorter TT and it felt alomost perfect. The RFX has a 24.6 TT; with a 50mm stem it is perfect. Actually, better than perfect.

Had the Sultan had a shorter TT I doubt I would have sold it.
    I have a large Sultan frame that is waiting for the 09 Reba. I am 5'11"and will have a 70mm stem. I think it will be a good fit. I had a large niner SIR that fit.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    blahblah...a Bionicon Edison..blah.
    Dude, watch your language! We have alot of children that view this board