question on bushing wear- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Jan 2004

question on bushing wear

in you dudes and dudette's experience .... what is the ratio of replacing drop out bushings to the main 3 big pivot bushings?

Is this a 2:1 kind of thing?

more like 1:1?

or what?

thanks

~the Walt

No, that's not phonetic
    The only bushing that has ever actually exhibited wear for me is the one down by the BB. It takes me about 18 months of consistent riding to get to the point where I need to swap that one out. I'm 190# and probably put a thousand or so miles a year on a given bike. The actual mileage depends on what our winters are like and which bike I take on road trips. I think I have gone a couple of thousand miles on my old XCE's pivots. Barny can go 3 years+ on her main BB pivot bushing (and the others would probably last indefinitely) since she is only about 130#.

Since only the BB pivot ever seems to wear, I just use a complete pivot kit one bushing/shaft set at a time.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    for those of us who dont ride as hard, as often or in as brutal of conditions as chessey does, 2 - 3 years or more is the easy norm for mains. even then its not as much nessesary due to slop, wag or drag as it is for consistantly excellent performance from those parts. this is all assumin ya keep things properly looked after durrin those times.

you can also rotate the mains 1/3 & 2/3 or simply 1/2 way through a normal life cycle if ya like and get even more life outta them.
    No, I'm NOT back!

... I guess you won't be
    I weigh around 190, and have only worn a dropout bushing out once in 4-5 years....however, I did go thru two BB bushings, and one rear rocker bushing - probably due to my penchant for sideways landings on occasion.....thats pretty good reliability record....

banned
    Jan 2004
    I ride a lot more than that I guess ... many 20 hour weeks from late March to late October ... sometimes 25 .. more than 1/2, probably 3/4 or thereabouts of that time on the Spot ... weekend before last I did close to 14 hours in Fruita in two days. That would be common.

I wore those dropout bushings quite a bit ... I just replaced them .. I could move them and see the lateral "swing" with my hand .. so THAT's what all the ghost shifting and popping off of the chains has been about!

Not one ghost shift in the last six hours of riding (last two days).

Yes, I keep them greased.

I suspect the drop out bushings were the most worn ... then the one closest to the BB .. because it's bolt had worked loose ..

I started getting some ghost shifting and chain popping off in extreme up steeps about nine months ago ... and the last month it's been frequent / common. I suspect the dropouts had sufficiently worn to be replaced at the 1,25 year .. to 1,50 year mark.

Soon after the near BB pivot bolt backed out, 2-3 weeks ago, I noticed the first "lift bike by saddle and feel play" observation. Then I replaced the 3 main pivot bushings .. .not enough time to replace the dropouts till a week later.

Next time I will replace the dropout bushings first. I am guessing this fall or early next.

Flyin Canine
    Did you try the mod to make grooves in the dropout shafts? there's a couple of good posts about it and it seemed like after I did it I didn't get any more noticable wear on those bushings and the lube went in and flushed out way easier.

mtbr member
    Sounds like there are several bushing wear scenarios out there. I've worn out three sets of dropout bushings in 2.5 years on my HL 5 Spot but all other bushings seem fine. I know they're worn when I get a little bit of slop in my drivetrain at the instant I apply a bunch of power. The first time I thought it was a shot BB or maybe a bad freehub. After these parts checked out, I realized that I was feeling the driveside pivot pull forward in the bushing as I mashed the pedals.

My original pivots were not grooved but my replacements were. The grooves have not helped mine to last any, or much, longer.
    Last edited by DireWolf; 05-11-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    yikes! 3 sets in less than 3 years? wow! lemme play devils advocate here. yer properly lubin and tightenin everything, right?
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    But of course!

Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yikes! 3 sets in less than 3 years? wow! lemme play devils advocate here. yer properly lubin and tightenin everything, right?

Members who have read this thread: 0