A question about swapping wheel sets.- Mtbr.com
    MBN
    mtbr member

A question about swapping wheel sets.

Hello,

I have an 05 Pack with Crossmax XL's. If I pick up a set of Outlaws, and I put disc brakes on them as well as a cassette, can I swap them back and forth on my bike without having to adjust the brakes in any way? Is there any adjusting that takes place, or is it as easy as just swaping the wheelsets back and forth as I desire?

Thank you very much,

M.

mtbr member
    No adjusting needed until you tweak your rotors then all bets are off. Sometimes, if the brakes are rubbing slightly after replacing the wheels all you need to do is push the pistons all the way back into the calipers in your brakes and pump them out again with the new wheelset installed.

Outcast
    when I swap out my trrail wheels for my dh wheels and vica versa, I loosen the two caliper bolts on each brake, slip in the new wheels, squeeze the brake lever, tighten the bolts, spin the wheel to see if it rotates without rubbing, and off I go.

Bite Me.
    wheel swaps almost always require some tweaking of the calipers in my experience. Every now and then you get lucky with hubs that are right on, but not often. It's no biggie unless you are doing it daily.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    you can buy shims that go between the rotors and hub, thereby not having to touch the calipers

TLL
    mtbr member
    If you have postmount style brakes do what Renegade says. If you have IS you might want to use rotor shims to bring the second set of disks into alignment with your calipers, rather than re-shimming your calipers every time you swap. Or you might just get lucky.

Pushing the pistons back does not re-center the caliper, so not the best solution.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Bite Me.
    Sorry - Let me clarify - I assumed the OP was talking about swapping wheelsets between bikes - if you have two dedicated wheelsets for one bike you can swap them on and off without having to adjust anything once they're set up (assuming the pads are not worn too differently). If you are taking a wheelset from one bike and putting it on a different bike then you often run into adjustment issues.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Hi M,

Syntace make shims that allow you to space out your rotors. How you do use 'em? Pick the wheelset that has the rotor further outboard, and space the rotor out on the other wheelset. I can use two wheel sets on two bikes with no rubbing. I picked mine up from Chad at Red Barn for ~$15.

trail fairy
    Well could come down to the quality of your wheels and your disc brakes and setup!

Ive been able to swap 3 20mm front wheels over no issues at all never undo or change anything other than running the same six rotors this was over 3 different brakes sets, and rotors, no rub not issues, did it all last year, 2 wheelsets handbuilt, one Sun/Ringle [note all 20mm axle ta hubs] accross a RS PIKE Marz 66 and Marz 888 oh and not to forget my RS Argle also 20mm so Four front wheels no issues!

Also Ive swapped regualry my 2 Hadly hubs, DT 5.1s to Sun MTX, Hadley wheelset between my Spot and RFX, no issues, Ran Magura on the Spot Avid and Hope on the RFX, I have had the best run with Magura for alginment, there brackest are high quality items and everything goes together nicely imo!
    Still there's a few varibles there and Ive had no issues! They all take a beating/hammering!

You only need to concern yourself with the same size rotor mostly, ideally same rotors, but not critical, could cause excessive wear on ya pads as they coul groove differently but other than that I see no reasons why, other than a bad wheel and bent rotor but thats will be the same for same wheel anyway!

Always good to have a spare set HD and LW wheelset
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

fried stuff with cheese
    I use to swap out wheels in the winter between a set with studded tires and one with high volume tires. I almost always had to re-adjust (shim) the calipers to get them right. I'm guessing it depends on the type of breaks, rotors, and hubs you have.
    My plan for this season was to build up the RFX light for trail riding and swap wheels and some parts for lift served.....as good as my intentions where...I just bought a Highline. It was more money but much easier and way more fun.
    Egg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you end up riding one wheelset way more than the other, you might run into some shifting issues down the road. One cassette will be more worn than the other and the chain will mate(stretch)to the worn cassette.

trail fairy
    Dusty raises a good point there, note Im not normal I swap tires and wheels like the sun going up and down so I'm probably pretty lucky with wear rates evening out, and I have some outstanding built wheels, I will be going all Magura from now on so will simplyfy my swapping even more! Similar hubs make a difference as your wheel dishing will stay consistent and there does seem to be slight differences to be expected between hub brands! I don't use shims in any of my brakes sets haven't none of my 07 sets up use em!
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 1