Question about chain stays,- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Question about chain stays,

I'll word this the best way I can.I've noticed that the chain stays on the RFX,Spot,and even the Flux have a higher non-drive side stay(Though the Flux is not as high as the RFX and Spot) BUT not on the Sultan.What is the reason for the higher(or almost twisted looking) stay on those bikes and It's not to be on the Sultan..Thanks..CF...

Outcast
    Fred, the drive side stay has to clear the front derailleur, so that's why that side drops. The non-drive side doesn't so it can be made straight. In theory, it's stronger and lighter [less material] . IMO, asymetrical chainstays are fashion.

mtbr member
    The non-driveside chainstays are actually straight, whereas the driveside immediately curve down from the pivot to provide front derailleur clearance. What makes it look "twisted" is the way the yoke has to slope from the higher NDS chainstay to the lower DS chainstay.

The reason for these asymmetrical chainstays is that it allows the NDS to be lighter and/or stronger since the curve there would be superfluous. Looks-wise I kind of prefer the older style, since it doesn't have that "twisted" look, but performance wise the new ones should be better, and it's much less noticable on a built up bike anyway.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Homer's problem child
    It is mainly for front der. clearance at full compression on longer travel bikes. Since the Sultan is only 4" travel it doesn't need the asym chainstay to clear the f. der at full travel.

The added stiffness and weight savings are not that great I'd be willing to bet.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    May 2006

Flux 4in.?

Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    It is mainly for front der. clearance at full compression on longer travel bikes. Since the Sultan is only 4" travel it doesn't need the asym chainstay to clear the f. der at full travel.

The added stiffness and weight savings are not that great I'd be willing to bet.

B
    The Flux is a 4in bike correct? So why the slight "Twist" if you will on it and not on the 4in.Sultan? Great reply's thanks boys.CF..

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    The Flux is a 4in bike correct? So why the slight "Twist" if you will on it and not on the 4in.Sultan? Great reply's thanks boys.CF..
    My understanding is that the shorter chainstays on the flux cause it to contact the f.der at 4" travel. The longer stays on the Sultan give it less angle at full compression, eliminating the need for the asym chainstays.

Turner never does anything just because it "looks cool". I would imagine the asym stays are a little mroe expensive to produce. If it doesn't need it to function properly, DT doesn't do it.

B

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Not that it answers your question, but one thing I notice comparing the two frames on there site:
    On the sultan, being a 29'er, the BB sits well below the centerline between the wheels. As a result the chainstays angle up from the main pivot to the drop-out.
    On the flux, the BB sits much closer to the centerline between the wheels.

Hey, the sultan also has the "older style" drop-outs, whereas the flux drop-outs match the spot, RFX and highline designs.

My guess is that the sultan will see an update shortly after Fred buys his, rendering it obsolete.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    The change that makes them "asymetrical" is how the the non-driveside chainstay takes a straight path to the rear axle, not how the driveside curves to provide front derailleur clearance. Prior to this both sides sloped down so that the driveside would have adequate clearance.

Additionally, the Nitrous was the first Turner to feature asymetrical chainstays, which would suggest that it has as much or more to do with saving weight than it does with longer travel.

Being that the RFX now uses the same rear triangle as the Spot, and it didn't seem to add any weight to the previous Spot rear end (if anything it might be a bit lighter, since the 5.5 rockers are definitely heavier and the Spot didn't seem to have a net increase in weight between '06 and '07), DT for one seems fairly confident that it offers a very real strength/weight advantage.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

Homer's problem child
    Good points. The new asym chainstays appear to dip further down on the drive side than the older ones where both sides dipped.

Maybe DT will chime in and set us all straight. My Sultan doesn't seem to care that it doesn't have asym stays. I'll go ask it again and see what it says.

B

mtbr member
    May 2006

Hey FM,

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Not that it answers your question, but one thing I notice comparing the two frames on there site:
    On the sultan, being a 29'er, the BB sits well below the centerline between the wheels. As a result the chainstays angle up from the main pivot to the drop-out.
    On the flux, the BB sits much closer to the centerline between the wheels.

Hey, the sultan also has the "older style" drop-outs, whereas the flux drop-outs match the spot, RFX and highline designs.

My guess is that the sultan will see an update shortly after Fred buys his, rendering it obsolete.
    "After"I buy my Sultan?I ALREADY bought my Sultan.Hey specking of "Obsolete" How's that Highline making out? Thanks again to all the others for the great info.CF..

Members who have read this thread: 0