Team Sanchez

Question for 66 RC2X owners

So what's the story with the air preload? I see that the range is between 0-15 psi in each leg depending on weight. Does adding more air create a harsh feel on the small bumps like on the 05 Z-1 FR1? How much do your weigh, and how much air preload are you running?

With my 66 Light ETA, the right leg is positive air chamber. Adding more air really only adjusts the sag, and does not kill the ride properties.

FM
    mtbr member
    I'm 175lbs and run about 4-7 pumps of air pre-load. Enough to add just a bit of preload, but not enough to register on a gauge. This was a suggestion from the Marz. support tent between runs at whistler, and it really helped the fork ride higher in it's travel without changing the small bump compliance.

At your size I'd expect that you might need to run additional air preload- might be preferrable to run stiffer springs if they are availabe from marz?

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by FM

At your size I'd expect that you might need to run additional air preload- might be preferrable to run stiffer springs if they are availabe from marz?

Thanks for the info FM. That's really the issue. For 06 I don't think they sold stiffer springs. They just relied on air preload. For the fork I have it hasn't been an issue. The positive air chamber works like a charm. I just didn't want to have to add so much air preload on the RC2 X, and then lose some of the performance.

Just another FOCer
    I'm in the 190 range and run zero preload. Sag without gear is just a hair under 1.5".

I only bottom mine once in a blue moon, but you go bigger than I do.

Why the switch to the RC2X?
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston

Why the switch to the RC2X?
    Because I'm a whore like that. I really like my 66 Light ETA, in fact I may end up keeping it for a future big bike build, but the 07 stuff is just so purdy.

Team Sanchez
    FM, one thing I forgot to ask, why don't you just fun more low speed compression, instead of adding air preload? It should have the same anti dive effect that you wanted. I don't currently use any low speed compression on mine, because I like it super squishy in the chop.

Just another FOCer
    Got ya. Durfee is getting an 07 66 ETA for his new build. (Maybe you could just live through him.)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Because I'm a whore like that. I really like my 66 Light ETA, in fact I may end up keeping it for a future big bike build, but the 07 stuff is just so purdy.

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop

Team Sanchez
    What's Durf building up? Not a new Kona I hope! That boy needs to be on a Highline!

Just another FOCer
    Highline and 06 RFX were seriously considered.

His advancing age was also considered, but in the end, he stayed true to his STINKY roots.

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop

FM
    mtbr member
    FM, one thing I forgot to ask, why don't you just fun more low speed compression, instead of adding air preload? It should have the same anti dive effect that you wanted. I don't currently use any low speed compression on mine, because I like it super squishy in the chop.
    What you said! I am pretty much running both compression adjustments wide open. 4-6 pump strokes is so little it really doesn't effect the feel at all, just makes the fork ride higher. This was the tuning advice I got from Nas and crew from the Vancouver marz. outpost. Hitting the stutter bumps at whistler spun out in a 34x11, the fork was spiking even with no comp damping and fast rebound, so I didn't want to add any compression damping....

aka...appBLING72
    So what's the story with the air preload? I see that the range is between 0-15 psi in each leg depending on weight. Does adding more air create a harsh feel on the small bumps like on the 05 Z-1 FR1? How much do your weigh, and how much air preload are you running?

With my 66 Light ETA, the right leg is positive air chamber. Adding more air really only adjusts the sag, and does not kill the ride properties.
    Hey El C, I have the 06 66 RC2X, my second one, and went back to it over the ETA, and SL, due to it's small bump feel. Feels like my 888 RC2X, which is amazing. The SL, just had too much sticiton. Anywhoo, I tried a little preload, like 5 psi, and it didn't really affect the small bump, because I too love the squish in the beginning travel, seems like it handles better. But, it does give it a little higher ride height in the beginning which I found tobe great on the steeps. So, FWIW, try a little. Are you getting an 07, or 06?

long standing member
    Not answering your question (because what do I know anyway , I've only just ordered my Zoke 66 yesterday ) but I just wanted to insert DT's comments from the Lyrik thread. I included my questions from that thread as well, and were wondering what what you guys thought.

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    On the subject of RS...

Spot, Pike.

RFX, Lyric.

Highline, Totem.

Do not criss cross and all is well enough within a mile of the first ride.

Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    Does this mean that that '07 Marzocchi 66 series is a no go on the RFX as well? Because unless I'm mistaken, the Totem and '07 66 have the same travel and a2c (and have the same intended use).

Or is the above recommendation/limitation applicable only to the new '07 version RFX, and the '06 and older RFX/Pack can handle the bigger fork? I'm just curious (and maybe other people are too) as quite a few posters are talking about putting a Totem or '07 66 on their RFX.
    Sorry about the mini-jack El C, but I figured my question was semi-relevant to your thread.

Patrick
    Last edited by PCinSC; 08-31-2006 at 07:51 PM.

aka...appBLING72
    Hey El C, I have only ridden my 66 RC2X once on the RFX, but I noticed the same thing I did with my 888 RC2X out of the box, the initial stiction that is expected and the sound of the springs inside the fork when they compress. I don't if you're as anal as I am , but I hate that sound, because it reminds me of some old Rockshox boxxer. Not as bad, but none the less. So, to remedy that from when I first got my 888, I called Zocch, and one of the tech guys gave me a nice little tip with out having to take everything apart and perform a "Works Package" on it, which is no more than polishing bushings and putting an additive in the oil, which they won't tell. First I changed my oil, to make sure oil heights are right since Zocch is known for shipping with incorrect heights. So, he said to eliminate the spring noise lightly wrap the springs in Electrical tape. I took the springs out, cleaned them with rubbing alcohol so the tape would stick and then I did this in a major diagonal pattern only going around about 4-5 times on one side, and repeating making an X pattern with the tape on the spring. Reinstall and "Wahla", stealth mode. Major quiet. Next, buy or use some prexisting "Super Slick" seal grease, either from Enduro Seals online, or you can get it at a motocross store, lift the Dust wipers and with a Q-tip, put it just above where the lower oil seal sits all around the stanchion. Reinstall the dust seal, and compress a few times to remove some excess grease, then feel it move llike warm butter. This will give it more of a works feel even when Brand New. Not to mention is a great little 10 minute tune up to keep the fork running smooth between oil changes.

I don't know why I went on about this but maybe it will help someone, maybe not. I thought it did a great job, S FWIW!!

Team Sanchez
    Ashley, I think I'll be getting an 07. I absolutely love by 66 ETA, but the gray lowers and extra 10mm of travel on the 07's makes me all happy inside.

aka...appBLING72
    Ashley, I think I'll be getting an 07. I absolutely love by 66 ETA, but the gray lowers and extra 10mm of travel on the 07's makes me all happy inside.
    Cool! Those are really cool looking. I thought about the 07 66 RC2X, but the deal on the 06 was hard to pass up, I am however looking at the 07 888 World Cup though. It looks "REAL NICE CLARK" A little cousin Eddie adage. Enjoy, and let me know

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72
    Hey El C, I have only ridden my 66 RC2X once on the RFX, but I noticed the same thing I did with my 888 RC2X out of the box, the initial stiction that is expected and the sound of the springs inside the fork when they compress. I don't if you're as anal as I am , but I hate that sound, because it reminds me of some old Rockshox boxxer. Not as bad, but none the less. So, to remedy that from when I first got my 888, I called Zocch, and one of the tech guys gave me a nice little tip with out having to take everything apart and perform a "Works Package" on it, which is no more than polishing bushings and putting an additive in the oil, which they won't tell. First I changed my oil, to make sure oil heights are right since Zocch is known for shipping with incorrect heights. So, he said to eliminate the spring noise lightly wrap the springs in Electrical tape. I took the springs out, cleaned them with rubbing alcohol so the tape would stick and then I did this in a major diagonal pattern only going around about 4-5 times on one side, and repeating making an X pattern with the tape on the spring. Reinstall and "Wahla", stealth mode. Major quiet. Next, buy or use some prexisting "Super Slick" seal grease, either from Enduro Seals online, or you can get it at a motocross store, lift the Dust wipers and with a Q-tip, put it just above where the lower oil seal sits all around the stanchion. Reinstall the dust seal, and compress a few times to remove some excess grease, then feel it move llike warm butter. This will give it more of a works feel even when Brand New. Not to mention is a great little 10 minute tune up to keep the fork running smooth between oil changes.

I don't know why I went on about this but maybe it will help someone, maybe not. I thought it did a great job, S FWIW!!

aapling

that is a sweet tip about the electrical tape on the springs...my Z1 has always made a racket...now i have a reason to pop it open

thanks
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

trail fairy
    Question for 66 RC2X owners
    <hr style="color: rgb(183, 183, 183);" size="1"> So what's the story with the air preload? I see that the range is between 0-15 psi in each leg depending on weight. Does adding more air create a harsh feel on the small bumps like on the 05 Z-1 FR1? How much do your weigh, and how much air preload are you running?

Hay El C I have an 06 66 RC2X still not mounted yet coming though, but I have had an AM1 and I noticed that little changes to adding air made a big diff and also kept the small bump compli nice if ya didn't go to hard out.

I hope the 66 is similar, will try her soon I guess.

Hye A72 cheers man and also like yr tips I will keep this thread in my RFX list of things to do
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0