mtbr member

Good job! PUSH 5 Spot Rocker Review

Installed the new PUSH Rockers on my 5 Spot yesterday and took two test rides today. I said I would offer a real, honest review and here it is. I like them and think they are well worth the $180 they are charging for them.

Here's why I like them:

1. I have an '07 PUSH'ed Talas and on the 140 setting I have felt like I have been riding a chopper - now the bike feels like it is on an even "keel;"
    2. With a PUSH'ed RP23 (modified by PUSH with more platform for the increased leverage of the new rockers) on the rear, the bike just plain feels more plush - like a coil sprung bike and I picked up an additional .75" inches of rear wheel travel;
    3. The 1/2" increase in BB height is welcome - the 5 Spot hangs a tad low. Today, I intentionally rode some trails that I have been touching down on with pedals or BB prior to the upgrade - no more; and,
    4. They look great, the quality of the machining is a phenomenal value, and they weigh just 60 grams more than the stock Turner rockers (including bolts). In addition, they are hard anodized and the quality of these parts are much higher than the stock Turner ones. For instance, the bushing interface on the inside of the arms is extruded just a bit, comes with o-rings, whereas the Turner ones are just metal on plastic and you can see the wear when you remove the stock arms. The other thing I was impressed with was the sealed top shock spacer mounts that are included in the kit from PUSH - 7000 series aluminum and anodized black - you won't ovalize these spacers anytime soon.

Here's some things I learned and some things to consider when making the upgrade; my XT front derailleur had to be changed out for a SRAM X-Gen (thanks, Larry at Mtn. High Cyclery) because of the long arc it makes when shifting and if you were to bottom out the rear shock on a big hit, it would ding the swingarm. I also had to change out the rear derailleur cable and the middle portion of the housing - the new rockers are longer and it just stretched out my cable enough that I wasn't comfortable with the lack of slack.

Not much in terms of changes - a $25 front derailleur and a cable/housing that I had anyway - for a very different bike that handles just as well as it did before - no change in geometry - but it is definitely more comfortable in the rear.

I give them a big thumbs up and recommend for any Spot owners, especially for those that have moved to a 130mm or 140mm front fork - these are a great compliment to those length forks and, what's more, they really hit the "spot" (couldn't resist - please forgive.)

Heading to Monarch Crest this weekend and will give an update from that ride next week.

Enjoy.

Toby Wong?
    thanks for the review...what year is your Spot?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Good review

Any problems installing them? Pretty straight forward? Any problem getting your rockers off?

Jaybo

PS Push didn't improve the Spot. Just ask them

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    Good news there fella, good news.

If I understand you correctly, you got you RP23 Push'd and installed at the same time as fitting the new rockers right ? After just fitting a PUSH'd RP3 myself and feeling the marked difference in ride, I'd be interested to hear from someone who just changed the rockers.
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields

mtbr member

3 questions - 3 answers

Tappoix - it is a 2005 Spot, size large.

Jaybo - very straighforward installation - it is truly "bolt-on", only one bolt was really in there with Loc-tite and needed some encouragement from a longer lever.

Farqui - yes, I have been riding this RP23 for two months now and it truly feels like a coil shock now - plush - and I can feel the longer travel.

Team Blindspot

Steve's Pics

He's been having probs posting them, so he emailed them to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

Team Blindspot
    And two more.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Did you have a DHX-A before the RP23?

mtbr member
    No, I have ridden other shocks on Spots but I had an RP3 before this one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    my XT front derailleur had to be changed out for a SRAM X-Gen (thanks, Larry at Mtn. High Cyclery) because of the long arc it makes when shifting and if you were to bottom out the rear shock on a big hit, it would ding the swingarm.
    I know this is nitpicky, but it sucks to have to replace a part that works just fine on my bike (and has for years). I suppose you just have to add it to the cost of admission, and when you're already dropping 180, whats another 30. (Well, its another 30.)

I'll gladly put money into a part if I think that I'll notice some better performance, or if something is underperforming, but front derailers? Sheesh.

This is the problem when UGI and Cheap Bastard meet up somewhere in the middle of the brain - gets messy.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Perfect, that is exactly why I came on here today, to ask about that rocker. If i'm understanding correctly tho, if you had not replaced your front XT, the der itself would hit the swingarm if you bottomed the shock?

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! 5 Spots and XT front derailleurs - pre-PUSH new rockers alert

Not the derailleur itself, the very end of the cage - looking at it, the lowest point of the cage on the left - the XT has a much longer arc on the cage than the SRAM X-Gen.

In fact, it looked like I had hit it once before I put on the new rockers on a big hit - a ding in the powdercoat and that is why I checked it out - prior to putting on the new rockers, I let all of the air out of the shock, compressed it and sure enough, it hit.

So, anyone riding a Spot now with an XT top pull front derailleur, even correctly mounted - 1-2 mm above the teeth on the big ring - you will hit if you bottom out your front shock.

El Borracho
    I just checked my chainstay and it too has been hitting my xt derailleur (5.1 rockers). Please tell me why tire clearance is reduced to 2.2 with the push rockers?
    Just because everyone says your wrong, it doesn't make you right. But it is a pretty good indication.
    - El Borracho -

mtbr member

... and if we just ... No worries

Look on the PUSH site - just for the 2003 model year of the Spot {quote} **03 model year frames utilizing center mounted front derailleur cable stop limited to 2.2 rear tire {end quote}-

If you look at my photos, you will see that I am runnning Maxxis High Roller's - 2.5's - front and rear - no problem.

I even run 203mm rotors front and rear for big downhill rides - close in the back but doesn't touch the rear swingarm.
    Last edited by steve47co1; 09-15-2006 at 09:51 AM. Reason: No smilie

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm having my doubts about these

I have a set of these on the way, will probably receive them today. I was disheartened hearing that you have to run the rp23 upside down or backwards in order to access the air valve, and now this news about the front derailleur has me bummed.

I run a 2 ring 36/24 combo and it's been tricky settting up the front derailleur so it shifts properly, doesn't hit the chainstay on bottom-out, has minimal rub on cross gears, and is low enough to remain quiet in the rough. You see, the higher you raise the derailleur, the closer the cross bar on the cage is to the chain....the more chain slap you hear.

Are you saying that the sram cage is shorter so you wouldn't have to move the derailleur up AT ALL? Even so, a shorter cage would mean the cross bar is in the "noisy zone" already.

Team Blindspot

No XT F. Der. issues for me and mini-review

I've got enough clearance. (see crappy pic) Check your setup boys, I did not have to change anything, even cable housing length was good for me.

I rode this AM with the RP23. The rockers are smoother thru the entire stroke, especially mid-stroke, where the DHX air would wallow ie: feel dead.

Descending thru stutter type rocks, the rear wheel stuck to the ground. I felt like the travel was bottomless and much more controlled. I'm very pleased with the rockers.

A very worthy upgrade. But I would recommend the Pushed RP23 as Darren designed the rockers around that shock.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member

Good job! Yes and yes

Dusty,

Good to see you got a shave!

Actually, I am running the RP23 backwards so I can access the valve but it is very easy to reach under the rocker to flip the ProPedal switch on or off. Access to the Schrader valve is great. Check out my photos and you can see how it works.

A sidebar here - Darren showed me the hours he put into trying to engineer the notch in the rocker on his CAD program, a la the stock Turner, but it cut so far into the curve near the front of the rocker that it would have impeded the strength.

You are correct - I did not have to mount the derailleur any higher because the SRAM has a shorter cage than the XT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    I've got enough clearance. (see crappy pic) Check your setup boys, I did not have to change anything, even cable housing length was good for me.

I rode this AM with the RP23. The rockers are smoother thru the entire stroke, especially mid-stroke, where the DHX air would wallow ie: feel dead.

Descending thru stutter type rocks, the rear wheel stuck to the ground. I felt like the travel was bottomless and much more controlled. I'm very pleased with the rockers.

A very worthy upgrade. But I would recommend the Pushed RP23 as Darren designed the rockers around that shock.
    Thanks. Now show us a pic of the end of that cage, with the chain in middle ring/middle cog in back, sag the bike if you can too. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    Dusty,

Good to see you got a shave!

Actually, I am running the RP23 backwards so I can access the valve but it is very easy to reach under the rocker to flip the ProPedal switch on or off. Access to the Schrader valve is great. Check out my photos and you can see how it works.

A sidebar here - Darren showed me the hours he put into trying to engineer the notch in the rocker on his CAD program, a la the stock Turner, but it cut so far into the curve near the front of the rocker that it would have impeded the strength.

You are correct - I did not have to mount the derailleur any higher because the SRAM has a shorter cage than the XT.
    I know it's possible to make the air valve work, but it's still a compromise having it behind the rockers.

The derailleur thing has me bummed, but that's not Darren's fault, it's Dave's! The yoke is too wide. He also needs to move the brake hose guides on the top tube to the far left position so there is no crossover with the rear shift housing.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Thanks. Now show us a pic of the end of that cage, with the chain in middle ring/middle cog in back, sag the bike if you can too. Thanks again!
    I'm heading off to work. I will get that pic for you this evening.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

No Need To Panic!

So, anyone riding a Spot now with an XT top pull front derailleur, even correctly mounted - 1-2 mm above the teeth on the big ring - you will hit if you bottom out your front shock. [/QUOTE]

Actually, all you need is a dremmel, a steady hand and about 5 minutes! If you don't mind giving your XT der a tummy tuck, you won't have to replace it. Check it out:
    At beyond full compression (the seatstay junction is touching the seatube,) you will still have clearance between the der and the chainstay. No need to raise your front Der, no need to buy a Sram, no need to fuss. Just grind!

note* the innertube chainstay guard fell victim to my unsteady hand while dremmelling! Got a little chewed up, but still has life......

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Has to be a solution

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    I know it's possible to make the air valve work, but it's still a compromise having it behind the rockers.

The derailleur thing has me bummed, but that's not Darren's fault, it's Dave's! The yoke is too wide. He also needs to move the brake hose guides on the top tube to the far left position so there is no crossover with the rear shift housing.
    Darren appears meticulous. He must have done some testing with a XT front derailleur. I would be annoyed if I had to grind away at my front derailleur to get it to work right. I would call Push and post what they say.

Jaybo

PS it can't be Dave's fault. He didn't make the rockers

Bite Me.
    So now that the 5.3 rockers with the machine RP3 notch are obsolete, I'm assuming people will be dumping them on the market for dirt cheap I have a couple of sheets of PUSH stickers I'd be willing to trade for an upgrade. Alas my poor old '03 and 4-way preclude the new stuff - can't limit myself to 2.2s, but the 5.3s might be nice.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

~~~~~~~~
    I'm looking for 5 spot rockers, any one ready to sell a set?

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    Hey Airwreck, I PM'd ya' back about the SS thing, are you still interested? Let me know.

Patrick

Team Blindspot

You guys are making something out of nothing!!

Quote Originally Posted by hambone
    So, anyone riding a Spot now with an XT top pull front derailleur, even correctly mounted - 1-2 mm above the teeth on the big ring - you will hit if you bottom out your front shock.

See above post! No probs with XT F. Der.
    Astigmatic Visionary

not so super...
    Sorry - none to spare

Nothing to see here.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Sorry - none to spare
    what a major friggin homer you are.....you should really be embarassed you freak

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You are such a prick Fo.

Bodhisattva
    Has nothing to do with the PUSH rockers.
    There have always been clearance issues on the Spot & Pack with some Shimano FDs.

I posted when my Pack was new that I had some interference and I'm not the only one. Solved it by ditching the big ring and raising the FD which now serves the double function as serving as a poor man's chainguide (since I seem to be the only one on this forum without Pack/RFXdrop issues)

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Really?

I have never had clearance issues or chain drop issues on my Spot. Must be a manufacturing variance

Jaybo

PS Push can never do anything wrong. Add that to the Homer list.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbz
    You are such a prick Fo.
    flattery will get you everywhere

you better watch it Robbz, I am probably headed to the UK next month. I may have to challenge you to a "bling off"

on a routine expedition
    I have a couple questions about installing the Push rockers. Are the o-rings for the seat tube and seat stay pivots meant to be used in addition to the existing ones from Turner? I installed the rockers with just the o-rings provided by Push, and there seems to be quite a bit of extra room for the o-rings to move around. Secondly, is there any reason to lock-tite the bolts for the shock pin, or is Ti-prep a better choice?

PSI
    I want that one

lemme get this straight...

do the push rockers work only with pushed fox shocks? which means that if i have a romic 5 Spot I'll need to get, in addition to the $180 rockers, a pushed fox shock as well? ($490). im liking the idea of a longer travel spot, but is there any cheaper way around it?

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullCrack
    I have a couple questions about installing the Push rockers. Are the o-rings for the seat tube and seat stay pivots meant to be used in addition to the existing ones from Turner? I installed the rockers with just the o-rings provided by Push, and there seems to be quite a bit of extra room for the o-rings to move around. Secondly, is there any reason to lock-tite the bolts for the shock pin, or is Ti-prep a better choice?
    Yes you use both o-rings, Turner and Push. Darren installed my shock and I did not pay attention to what he did or didn't do. I'll check it later when I get home.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    do the push rockers work only with pushed fox shocks
    No, you can use them with stock Fox shocks, much like you can with the stock rockers.

Are the o-rings for the seat tube and seat stay pivots meant to be used in addition to the existing ones
    Yes here's a link that rocker purchasers should check out:

http://www.pushindustries.com/media/...20Assmebly.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I echo the two positive reviews above. EZ on, great ride. The magical Spot balance that was lost a little bit -- especially on steep climbs -- after installing the 140 mm Vanilla fork has been returned.

Interestingly, though the snappier xc feel has returned to the bike, it also definitely rides more plush (I went from 5.1 to 5.7). Maybe you really can have your cake and eat it too, as long as you've got an extra $180 laying around!

No FD clearance issues here, either, but mine is as old as the hills, so maybe I just got lucky. I did have to replace the intermediate piece of rear derailer cable housing with a piece a lousy 1/4" longer, but that took all of 5 minutes.

The rockers are designed around the RP3, but I can't imagine they wouldn't work fine with a Romic, though maybe with a 50# heavier spring. Call PUSH and ask.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    And two more.
    Is that Armor All on those tires? That bike is in REALLY good condition for being ridden in the dirt.
    "Do not touch the trim"

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Is that Armor All on those tires? That bike is in REALLY good condition for being ridden in the dirt.
    Not my bike, you'll have to ask Steve. I was just helping him post his pics.

Mine has obviously seen dirt.
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Stock RP3 vs. Pushed RP3

[QUOTE=PUSHIND]No, you can use them with stock Fox shocks, much like you can with the stock rockers.

So how would the ride with the new rockers differ between the OEM RP3 and a Pushed-for-rocker RP3? Does the Pushed-for-rocker RP3 have more or less platform than the stock RP3?

Thanks

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Monarch Crest Ride - 9/16/06

Well, fellow Homers; the Monarch crest was interesting this past weekend; started from the Monarch Pass parking lot at 9:00 a.m.; temperature 29 degrees and just below the cloud deck.

As we climbed up to 11,500 ft. and onto the Western exposure, the winds were gusting to 40 mph and we were definitely in the clouds with spitting snow and with the wind chill, the temperature was equivalent to 13 degrees. Cables froze, ice formed on handlebars and anything metal, visibility was 50 feet, but I knew that all we had to do was get through the first 7 miles to the lean-to and our directional aspect would change more toward the East and South; ergo, toward the lee side of the range.

We made it in two hours with frequent stops behind trees and bushes to get out of that screaming wind and the rest of the ride just got better and better. By the time we reached the Silver Creek Trail downhill, the temp was 50 and the wind was not a factor.

I think this ride was a good test of the new PUSH rockers; I still like them and I like the new ground clearance - no issues whatsoever climbing over rocks on the Colorado Trail or through the stream bed portion of the ride at the bottom of Silver Creek Trail.

I am very pleased with this upgrade; well worth the money.

For Rivet - I do ride my bike in the dirt - photos attached post-Monarch Crest and before post-ride clean and inspection.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Monarch Crest Ride - 9/16/06

Well, fellow Homers; the Monarch crest was interesting this past weekend; started from the Monarch Pass parking lot at 9:00 a.m.; temperature 29 degrees and just below the cloud deck.

As we climbed up to 11,500 ft. and onto the Western exposure, the winds were gusting to 40 mph and we were definitely in the clouds with spitting snow and with the wind chill, the temperature was equivalent to 13 degrees. Cables froze, ice formed on handlebars and anything metal, visibility was 50 feet, but I knew that all we had to do was get through the first 7 miles to the lean-to and our directional aspect would change more toward the East and South; ergo, toward the lee side of the range.

We made it in two hours with frequent stops behind trees and bushes to get out of that screaming wind and the rest of the ride just got better and better. By the time we reached the Silver Creek Trail downhill, the temp was 50 and the wind was not a factor.

I think this ride was a good test of the new PUSH rockers; I still like them and I like the new ground clearance - no issues whatsoever climbing over rocks on the Colorado Trail or through the stream bed portion of the ride at the bottom of Silver Creek Trail.

I am very pleased with this upgrade; well worth the money.

For Rivet - I do ride my bike in the dirt - photos attached post-Monarch Crest and before post-ride clean and inspection.
    Last edited by steve47co1; 12-02-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Good comments. Couple questions...

I am running a Rock Shox Revelation. No U Turn. It is supposed to be 508mm A-C. A touch shorter than your Talas. By the way, great A-C on the new Fox forks for a 140mm fork. Anyway, I feel like I am bent over a smidge to much; therefore, I have invested in a Pike to (1) get me up a bit, and (2) give me a touch more stiffness. So, my questions is this: do you find the new rockers raised the back end of the bike a bunch or a little? Did you have to move spacers and refit yourself to the bike? Also, I am now going tubeless. Do you find the Maxxis High Rollers are a good all around tire? They seem to have very soft knobs.

Thanks,

Jaybo

PS great bike. You kind of have a cross breed hybrid between a Pack and a Spot. Very cool.

mtbr member

Good job! Yes and maybe.

Jaybo,

I feel like I am just level now after having ridden the bike (feeling like I was looking up over the bars) for at least 45 days with the new 140mm Talas. I don't feel jacked up at all, but you have prompted me to go outside and measure my BB height at different fork lengths.

The High Roller tubeless is an awesome tire but they don't last long unless you buy the 60a durometer version which seems pointless to me - I want the hook up of the 42a Super Tacky version and I pay the price for new tires - two sets per season. I do rotate them, though; which helps; when my rear gets chewed up looking, I move it out and over to friends who aren't as discerning as I am, and I move the front tire to the back and put a new one on the front.

There is a huge difference between the 2.35's and the 2.5's, too; Maxxis really cheats on measurement - the 2.5 is really a true 2.35 and the 2.35 is really a 2.2.

However, the 2.5 is much stiffer in the sidewall and hooks up like it is on rails - it is also heavier at 1300 grams vs. 890 for the 2.35.

I have been buying them on eBay at the two for the (retail) price of one so it is not as painful.

Maxxis has made a change in the durometer of their new 2.35 - the L.U.S.T. version - supposedly lighter but it now only comes in one version of durometer - 70a. The 2.5 remains the same with only one choice - 42a.

So, if you can find older versions of the 2.35 on eBay and they are advertising "Super Tacky" or 42a, buy them - amazing traction and confidence building for going really fast.

Keep in mind that they are a square profile tire, which lends itself to carving and when they break loose it is quick with very little warning. I like and prefer square profile tires vs. round because of the carving aspect but some people find them disconcerting as their intitial stablity off center is very quick until they hit the rails and then they are locked in.

I am a skier and have been a ski instructor and the parallels between the two sports is uncanny - you move skis back and forth underneath you; you move the bike back and forth underneath you; to carve a turn on skis, you angulate your body, but you don't lean. It is the same on a bike; I put my outside pedal down, weight it and push the bike toward the inside of the carving arc, while my upper body stays vertical. You come around like you are on rails, a definite feeling of carving the dirt.

Enjoy. Interesting observation of my bike setup - works great for me.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PSI
    do the push rockers work only with pushed fox shocks? which means that if i have a romic 5 Spot I'll need to get, in addition to the $180 rockers, a pushed fox shock as well? ($490). im liking the idea of a longer travel spot, but is there any cheaper way around it?

The Romic will work. I e-mailed PUSH with this same question. They didn't say anything about the spring though.?? I actually have a new 07 vanilla coil on the way which can also be Pushed so now I just need to find some more cash

mtbr member

XT cage clearance

Hey guys, notice that bikes with clearance problems are running bash rings? Bet that the XT is set lower than "stock" cause you can. If you set up the XT for "stock" chain ring clearance (4.25" from BB case to bottom of seat tube XT clamp ring) your problems go away. No matter what is happening with bash or chain rings if you don't have 4.25" you are going to ding the CS.

Well Biked
    Trouble is, the higher I mount the FD the more chain rub and noise I get (RFX). I am ready to just lower it a bit and take my chances that I won't fully compress the shock while in the granny. I want my gears back! I hope DT addresses that problem with the newer RFX. On my 5 Spot I never has this issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Has anybody tried the new rockers with and without a Push'd shock?

I'm definitely interested in the new rockers, but I don't (OK - can't) do the shock mod at the same time. Has anybody used these with a standard RP3?

mtbr member
    Good post; on similar lines - if I were going to do these, I'd have to use them with my DHX air for a while. How would that work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    Trouble is, the higher I mount the FD the more chain rub and noise I get (RFX). I am ready to just lower it a bit and take my chances that I won't fully compress the shock while in the granny. I want my gears back! I hope DT addresses that problem with the newer RFX. On my 5 Spot I never has this issue.
    EXACTLY! One of the great side affects of running a bash ring is lowering the front derailleur so you get less slap on the crossbar of the cage. If Dave were to re-design the cs yoke so the derailleur could dip below/outside the yoke we could run our derailleurs wherever we want. Of course, this could not come at the cost of less tire clearance. Just a little haircut on the outside of the yoke is all we ask!

not so super...
    Sorry Wreck. I liked the ride of the 5.3's. They're a keeper.
    Nothing to see here.

I $uck, but MY BIKE Rules

Rockers w/DHX COIL?

I've searched, but can't find any conversation about my situation:
    Does anyone know if there are (or will be) any issues with mounting these 5.75" rockers on a 2004 Medium 5-Spot, w/a Fox DHX COIL?

BTW, currenly w/the stock (5.1?) rockers, I had to remove the Blue bottom-out knob so it wouldn't hit the frame... but now, have no issues w/the shock hitting the frame.

Members who have read this thread: 2