mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Proper Rim Width for 2.3-2.4 tires?

My current set up has Mavic 719 rims which are 24mm wide. In the past year or two I have run WTB 2.3 and 2.4s, 2.3 Nevegal and Blue Grooves, and 2.4 Ardents. I am thinking that my rims are too narrow for these tires (especially the Ardents). At my weight and riding style, I need to run close to 40psi to keep the tires from folding under in the turns.

Will running a wider rim allow me to run less pressure and what are the rules of thumb for rim sizes for 2.3-2.4 wide tires?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_S
    My current set up has Mavic 719 rims which are 24mm wide. In the past year or two I have run WTB 2.3 and 2.4s, 2.3 Nevegal and Blue Grooves, and 2.4 Ardents. I am thinking that my rims are too narrow for these tires (especially the Ardents). At my weight and riding style, I need to run close to 40psi to keep the tires from folding under in the turns.

Will running a wider rim allow me to run less pressure and what are the rules of thumb for rim sizes for 2.3-2.4 wide tires?
    A 24mm wide rim ought to be good enough for a 2.3in tire, although some companies, like DT Swiss will say 2.25in tire would be max, but it's all relative as no two 2.3in tires are the same volume. 28mm rim ought to be good for everything up to a 2.5in.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    May 2007
    In general the internal dimension is 5-6mm less than the advertised width, so a 24mm 719 rim will be 18-19mm internally. Many Turner riders use tubeless X819's which are the same width as the 719's, with 2.3-2.4" tyres.

As mentioned the issue is that every manufacturers sizing for tyres is different, with many 2.3" tyres being smaller than others 2.2" models. The tread profile also a big effect on stability and cornering grip. A square edge tyre with big shoulders will become much rounder in a narrow rim, but it will be less stable.

A wider 28mm plus rim, will allow the side walls to be less rounded, and more stable, it will also let you run lower pressures.

err, 27.5+
    MK, solid advice. Tire size, at least what is written on the sidewall is no indication of actual size. The 719 is IMO a bit on the narrow end for that 2.4 Ardent, of course it has a 2.4 casing width and knobs that measure out to 2.6~ on my 28mm rims so it is on the big end of the spectrum. Nev and BG tires are true to size at the knobs, so again a bit wide but doable since the casing is smaller. WTB are a hair undersized IMO, with thier 2.3 being more like a 2.2, so they are okay on a smaller rim.

Also tire construction comes to play. I have a nevegal 2.1 UST that squirms unless it has 40psi in it. The casing despite being thick is very flexy. On the other hand continental tires MK and RQ have much more fiber in the casing and are stiff (in UST, no exp with non-ust of them).

Best bet is to find a tread pattern you like to ride and then search out other varieties of the tire or other mfg tires that are similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have run 23mm - 28mm (external width) rims with tires from 2.2 - 2.5". Settled on 28mm rims because I tend to pinch flat a lot less.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    it's true that many homers -- not to mention intense and santa cruz owners -- run the mavic 819, but that's mostly because it is relatively strong, and a known quantity. years ago i was an 819 fanboy but frankly i've concluded it's been surpassed by some other rims on the market today.

the weight of the 819, once you include the mavic spoke nipple converters, is pretty heavy for such a narrow rim (and since no one has pointed it out, the '19' in the mavic model name denotes the inner rim width. mavic knows rims, and therefore knows that the inner width is what matters.). It can certainly work with tires nominally marked 2.3, 2.4 inches, but as mentioned above, depending on other factors some squirm might result at lowish pressures.

but the other, perhaps more important factor, is the tire profile. i have a garage full of tires in the 2.3 - 2.5 inch range, and in all cases they seem to perform better with a rim that is 22 or 23 mm wide (of course i'm talking inner rim width)....the profile becomes a bit more square, and the edge knobs engage better...and pinch flats are reduced (tubed or tubeless).
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

Rim Recommendations?

What are some good rims that are not as narrow as the 819, yet in the same weight range? I have been running some Mavic 321 and 521 wheels, but they are a bit heavy.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by vondur
    What are some good rims that are not as narrow as the 819, yet in the same weight range? I have been running some Mavic 321 and 521 wheels, but they are a bit heavy.
    DT Swiss 5.1d
    Alex FD28
    Syncros DS28 (burliest of the bunch and a tad heavier)
    Sun-Ringle Equalizer 27
    WTB LaserDisc Trail
    WTB SpeedDisc AM
    Arrow XCL

To name a few.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vondur
    I had good luck with the WTB Laser Disc Trail - 27mm width, 500g, sturdy sidewall and they didn't ding looking @ a rock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I typically ride Big Bens on my Soma Juice. They're fantastic tires, but I don't trust them in the sand. I'd like to try the Tahoe Flume trail in a couple weeks, which means I should consider investing in a proper offroad tire.

My Dyads have a 24mm outer width/19mm inner width. My frame and fork are rated for up to 63mm each. It looks like the Nobby Nics have the traction-in-sand that my tires lack without sacrificing puncture resistance or climbability.

What concerns should I have running a 60mm tire on a 24/19mm rim? Are there any other tires I should be considering for this ride?

Thanks!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    First, congratulations for reviving a 5 year old thread. You don't see it very often but it always makes me smile. I'm not being sarcastic. You will need more pressure than you would with of modern wider rim with the big NN. I used to run some 2.3's on narrow rims and wasn't killed or injured badly but they don't support the tires as well. If you are going to use bigger tires think about wider rims in you future. Run enough pressure so you don't pinch flat and you will be fine.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Considering the rims I have, would the 57mm Nobbies be a better choice than 60mm?

My tires are awesome on pavement and hardpack. I'm considering getting another set that I can use in sand/dirt/etc. Is there another tire I should consider?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I would want at least a 2.3 on the front, maybe narrower on the rear. 60mm is 2.35 on the Schwalbe site. I have 2.35 Panaracer Rampage on my old narrow rimmed single-speed and they work okay. Depends on the trail and how much traction you need. Lots of good tires these days.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I had DT Swiss TK540 rims on my 29er before, they are 19 mm wide on the inside (just like 719 from Mavic). It felt too narrow with 2.35" Nobby Nics, very squirmish. Switching to Crest rims (21 mm inner width) was a vast improvement.

If you have to increase pressure outside of your preferred range to keep the tires from folding under, it's obvious that your tires are too wide (or the rims too narrow) no matter what some other rider or manufacturer says.

For me just the 2 mm increase in rim inner width from 19 to 21 mm was significant.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My bike is internally geared, so switching rims is very unlikely to happen.

You mention that 21mm rims felt significantly safer than 19mm. Do you think I'd get the same effect by riding 57mm tires instead of 60mm? Is 57mm still too big for my rims?

Thanks guys. =)

MCMXCV
    Zombie thread! I am going to buy a set of Easton Arc rims and have my LBS build them up for me. I am stuck on which width to get. I am 210lbs all geared up, ride a 29er and consider myself an aggressive trail rider. Also, I use Ground Control Grid 2.3s front and rear and will continue to do so.

I know the Arc 30 is far too wide, but I don't know which of the other 2 widths (24 or 27) would be best for me and my specs listed above?

Easton Arc 24 / 27 / 30 Rim Specs:

MSRP: $99.99
    Internal Rim Widths: 24mm, 27mm, 30mm
    External Rim Widths: 28mm, 31mm, 34mm
    Weight: 455g list, 463g actual (24mm), 515g list (27mm), 535g list (30mm)
    Depth: 20mm
    Tire: Tubeless Ready Clincher
    Drilling: 32 hole
    Finish: Black anodized

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think 30 internal is too wide at all especially for fun trail riding. Great sidewall support, lower pressure capability, not much of a weight penalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    27 or 30 internal. From the reading I have done the advantages of wider start to fall off beyond 30mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Riding slowly since 1977.

MCMXCV
    Any risk of the 27 making the 2.3 too wide? Right now I have about 3/8" of clearance from outside knob to frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Does anyone know who makes the widest aluminum rims? I wanna go WIDE!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etacata View Post
    Does anyone know who makes the widest aluminum rims? I wanna go WIDE!
    There is some good info in the 27.5+/29+ forum on various tire/wheel combos for wider tires. Mainly 2.8 and up, but there is talk of how the 2.5 Breakouts fit, and lots of talk about what rims people are using. I myself am trying to decide on what direction to go with a hardtail build...27.5 or 29, and if 29, possibly going mid-fat with 27.5 rims and 2.8" tires, or maybe the 2.5". Nice to have options.

Members who have read this thread: 45