mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Pivot bolt on DHR

Hey guys I broke a bolt on my DHR recently and got a new one, but I was wondering if it will work. Here it is.

and here is where the bolt is, its the black one if you can see it.

thanks for your help.

oh sorry I am on my brothers account. This is shakenbakebaby
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    that should work fine if it's the same dimensions then that's ok

Equal opportunity meanie
    I wouldn't. That will damage the needles in the needle bearings if the threads are contacting them, or if they're just running on an inner race it'll allow more flexing.. I'd get a longer shoulder bolt and chop it off so the flat part is contacting he bearings. I think a 50 or 55mm length is what you need? Check with Turner, though they will deny that anyone has ever broken a pivot bolt on any DHR ever...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ^^^^ exactly what he ^^^ said. The bolt will work, but there will be load on the threaded portion which is not the best (and turner goes to far as to provide custom short thread bolts to do this correctly unlike many mfg).

Take your old bolt and match the non-threaded portion for length. Bolt it in and then cut off the extra threaded portion

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    go to a proper nut n bolt store. i got a 1/2 dozen full bolt/washer/nylock nut setups for about a buck per. easy to match up. turner will also sell them cheap but not as cheap or fast dependin on how quick ya need em.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the replies. So basically i need to find a bolt with the same smooth portion and then cut it to where i need it. Or find a bolt that is the same. Or buy one from turner.

thanks guys
    2008 DHR
    2007 STP

Equal opportunity meanie
    Funny I looked at this yesterday. Just snapped my first pivot bolt on the DHR before I even started riding today. Been keeping these things torqued to spec religiously and only been on this thing a month and a half....gonna be time for some higher quality bolts here soon.

Sov
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What actually is the torque spec for those bolts?

acctually, id like to see a torque spec for the entire frames h/ware. give it up dhi!
    No, I'm NOT back!

Equal opportunity meanie
    I had a PDF I brought up whenever I torqued them, and I can't remember where the hell it is at the moment. I'll find out for sure later on. That'd probably be a useful sticky at the top of the forum.

Edit: This shows the torque for the T40 bolt https://forums.mtbr.com/turner/official-turner-bolt-torque-values-33710.html and this picture shows the M6 shock bolts and linkage bolts.

So 17 ft-lb all around and 4 ft-lb for the 2 M6 bolts at the shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Funny I looked at this yesterday. Just snapped my first pivot bolt on the DHR before I even started riding today. Been keeping these things torqued to spec religiously and only been on this thing a month and a half....gonna be time for some higher quality bolts here soon.
    Same thing happened to me. Was only on the bike for about a month.
    2008 DHR
    2007 STP

with the diffs in material thickness, pivot tech and overall design, should we assume the specs are the same on a dhr as a burner? the shock bolts are close if not identical im sure but the rest id question. maybe im overly cautious.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Equal opportunity meanie
    Well every size bolt has an "ideal" torque setting to it, and I would hope that's what Turner spec'd that around. The only thing being pre-loaded on the DHR's pivots is the inner race for the needle bearing, so the only thing that is harmed from over-tightening is the bolt itself if you happen to torque it to yield, in which case it's fatigued.

couldnt ya also mushroom the inner race, much like ya can on the bushing design? i discovered this was the issue with my then new rfx that arrived with sticky pivots. i thought a short break in period would fix it. i was wrong and after a long break in period, ordered up some push bushings lookin for a fix. later, some micrometer use and a convo with dt showed the pivot shafts were damaged from overtightening. it didnt go as smooth as id have hoped but in the end i got new shafts at no cost many weeks later along with another shipment. thanx greg.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0