Thread: Pike trouble.

mtbr member

Pike trouble.

I was trying to mount my pike on the spot tonight, and I can't get the brakes to work. Neither my Hayes nor Avid mounting bracket will fit the fork. It has some flats machined into the tab, that interfere. I have a friend with a facing tool, but I really think it sucks to have to grind on a new fork. I was wondering if any others have had this problem?
    Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No, that's not phonetic
    Neither one of our Pikes have those ridges. Both are pre-06 models.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

... I guess you won't be
    the China Syndrome.....

looks like a casting/finishing goof from the factory....anyone can see where your brake mount has gacked up the area where there should not be any material.....

I think you got some phone callin' to do tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Neither one of our Pikes have those ridges. Both are pre-06 models.
    Hmmm. I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking on this one. I could probably get some shims in there, but they would have to be ground flat on one side. The flat is really close to the hole, and the shims/washers I have wont work without mods. I'll probably just get er faced.

mtbr member
    I have a '06 and the surface the mount attaches to is clean, without that step notched in. I would call Sram before using a facing tool which could cancel any warranty should the mounts crack later on. Pain in the butt I know yet not worth losing the cost of that fork if something were to break on a casting that is already suspect.

KB

Chaplin Turner Overdrive

I've seen this..

Mate of mine in the UK with an '06 454 had exactly the same problem - he just had his faced by his LBS to fix it. Mine is an '05 Team and didn't have the ridge.

mtbr member
    I've just installed a 06 454 and it didn't need facing.

mtbr member
    Had my 06 faced, no prob. I didn't contact RS as I was chomping at the bit to ride.I am curious as to their position.

Bodhisattva
    I agree with the other. That looks like a factory goof but can be fixed in 10 seconds with a facing tool like a gnann-o-mat.
    Alternatively, if you have any of the new brakes with the post-mount style caliper like Juicys or the new Hopes then you could just file it by hand then use the calipers alignment system. Facing with these brakes doesn't need to be perfect as the calipers alignment system will correct for imperfections.

mtbr member

I would have it faced, regardless...

due to the fact that you will get better disc brake performance. After dealing with bad brake performance and horrendous sqealing on my first disc brake equipped rig, I always have every fork (and frame) faced.

mtbr member

Update

I just got off the phone with Todd from tech support, and he didn't sound familiar with the problem, but after confering with another tech, he said it'd be ok to have it faced. I was concerned this might cause warrenty problems, which is why I called. It does suck that these were shipped like this, and I think I might still need to do a bit of surgery on the Hayes mount as well, as it sits flush along the tab, unlike the avid. I'm wondering if the avid is interchangeable with the hayes mount, and if so, do I have to use all their funky spacers like what's on my bb7's? It looks the same dimensionally though I haven't put a caliper to it yet.
    After searching several of the forums here, I found a several others that seem to have had the same problem. Sounds like bad QC to me. I hope this is the only problem I have with the fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Had a 06' 454 Air and now a 07' 426 Coil and both look just like yours. I even didn't ask Rockshox about warranty void and have the tabs faced by my LBS, just enough to remove the ridge. By the way, the brakes mounted on the 454 were Juicy Seven and they made those horrible sounds when braking (I didn't notice the ridge at first) and it was not until I take a closer look and notice the ridge, that I knew what the problem was. After facing the tabs, everything was fine.

When I get the 426 and a new brake set (Formula 24K), it was the first thing that I did. To tell you the truth, I can't see how a small facing could void the warranty (it would be a pretty lame argument), but then, it could be a chance. From a structural point of view, I hardly believe it could have any impact. However, now that you talk to SRAM CS, I know that they think pretty much the same.

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    I'm wondering if the avid is interchangeable with the hayes mount, and if so, do I have to use all their funky spacers like what's on my bb7's? It looks the same dimensionally though I haven't put a caliper to it yet.
    I've used Avid and Hayes adapters interchangeably with no problems. You still use all of the Avid washers/spacers/etc.

mtbr member
    I had the same issue with some 06 Pike 454's while fitting a 8" Hayes Brake, face the tabs, that should do the trick.
    Mine required a little more work; all internal edges have a radius btw.
    8 months of use so far and no issues.

Stay off the brakes

mtbr member

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof
    I had the same issue with some 06 Pike 454's while fitting a 8" Hayes Brake, face the tabs, that should do the trick.
    Mine required a little more work; all internal edges have a radius btw.
    8 months of use so far and no issues.

Your pics are pretty much what I was thinking I'd have to do. I'm gonna start by using the facing tool here in a bit, and see if I can just get by with the avid adapter, as it would require less modification.

mtbr member

Finished and happy

Well, we faced the tabs last night. The Hope tool my friend has cut the fork like butter. two shims, and the hayes mount went right on.
    I took it for a spin today, and was all smiles. The fork feels great, and the bike totally handles so much better. I was able to corner much faster than with the AM1, and though not as plush, the bike feels much more balanced. I was wondering if I should picked up the u-turn, but glad I didn't. The a/c seems to be a bit lower than the zoke, and I found myself climbing better than before, even without the ETA. The fork also handled some nice drops and jumps well, using more travel than the zoke, but ramping up a bit better, so the front end didn't dive upon landing.
    Hopefully the fork performs as well long-term. Now I just need to put the AM on ebay.

err, 27.5+
    Personally I usually go about it the other way. I take the dremmel tool to my adapters ($10) instead of my fork ($600) or frame. I face the contact patch and then file and dremmel the adapter to give clearance for any unforseen weld beads or bad casting issues. YMMV

Members who have read this thread: 0