Pike alternatives?- Mtbr.com
    Time flies...

Pike alternatives?

After talking w/ DT today, I've decided to pass on the new RFX (till next year anyhow...) and just build up my '05 spot a bit more. I've been running a Fox Float RLC 130 since I got it, but now I'm wanting for 'more' fork and less flex.
    I know that the Pike is the #1 choice for the Spot, and may go with that. But before I make a final call I want to check the options.
    Are the bugs worked out of the 07 Pikes and would it be any better than an 06? (I'd be after the 454 dual air, btw)
    How would the new AM 1 SL stack up against the Pike? I don't know much about 'Zokes, but I am interested in the ability to run 130mm for long climbs and then bump up to 140-150-ish for long/rough decents, whereas the Pike would stay at 140 full time, I suspect.
    Definitly want thru-axle as well...

Any other real contenders??
    ...every day sends future to past...

No, that's not phonetic
    The Pike is unchanged from 06 to 07. No bugs to "work out" that I know of.

Hardly anyone has ridden the new Z1 AM1 SL ATA. If you are worried about a buggy product, do not buy a first year production model.

What about a 140mm Vanilla?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

trail fairy
    As T says no changes except for the maxle 360, I have an 06 454 uturn air which is dam awesome and Ive upgraded my maxle to a 360 and love it so now I have an 07 plus I came off the AM 1 also 06 model
    personally I love Marz forks and I have a 66RC2X on my RFX but for the Spot the big cheese was right the Pike rulz.

I do wish for 08 they provide a 2 step adjuster like the Lyric and have the bugs worked out in that system, I do use my u turn but its a pain to use all the time though not as bad as the Fox talas system still I'll buy the 2 step cartridge when and if available, I don't use the in between settings theyre a waste imo

Pike rulz Ive never ridden such a balanced package that just rocks everywhere, this fork has really imprressed me its still the sleeper fork IMO and one of the best pound for pound forks around the Oscar Del a Hoya of forks yeahaaa thats a big call but thats how I feel about my PIKE

Sold ya should be
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

No, that's not phonetic
    Well, overall I do like my Pike a lot, but I find that Zokes generally feel better than any other fork brand in a comparable model. The AM1 SL is supposed to be the direct competitor to the Pike, and if it gets the job done, I would be very tempted by it. Twisting the knobs on one at Interbike did not get me excited, unfortunately, but I will wait to hear how broken-in ones perform.

DGC
    mtbr member

Pike

Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    After talking w/ DT today, I've decided to pass on the new RFX (till next year anyhow...) and just build up my '05 spot a bit more. I've been running a Fox Float RLC 130 since I got it, but now I'm wanting for 'more' fork and less flex.
    I know that the Pike is the #1 choice for the Spot, and may go with that. But before I make a final call I want to check the options.
    Are the bugs worked out of the 07 Pikes and would it be any better than an 06? (I'd be after the 454 dual air, btw)
    How would the new AM 1 SL stack up against the Pike? I don't know much about 'Zokes, but I am interested in the ability to run 130mm for long climbs and then bump up to 140-150-ish for long/rough decents, whereas the Pike would stay at 140 full time, I suspect.
    Definitly want thru-axle as well...

Any other real contenders??
    Pike on the Spot...all day, all week, twice on Sunday's.
    No problems with mine, keeps on working just fine.
    Only thing I wonder about is Tscheezy sounds like he has a fetish thing for twisting knobs.....!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I ride an AM1

I have the '05 (110mm- 130mm) model that has the nasty brown "paint" on it. I did get it painted and it looks sweet now. I have always been a Marz fan. I had a vanilla RLC, but I wanted the features of the AM1 like TST and ETA and was very unimpressed with the Fox.

You must really consider the A2C measurement on the MARZ line since they are a bit taller than those of a Pike. With my fork at 130, the A2C is pretty tall for the uphills so I can use the ETA on climbs but ETA IMO really changes the quality of the ride so I don't like it. The alternative for me is to run my for at about 120mm to get close to the correct A2C of 501mm that Turner recommends.

If I had the PIKE I think (by reading other posts here) you can run the fork at 140mm and still maintain the correct A2C. The point being, do your homework on forks and what they will do with your geometry. FWIW I don't think the PIKE is nearly as plush/buttery as my Marz so for me it's worth it to run the fork at less than it's maximum travel.

good luck!

Living the Dream

Dude

Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    Pike on the Spot...all day, all week, twice on Sunday's.
    No problems with mine, keeps on working just fine.
    Only thing I wonder about is Tscheezy sounds like he has a fetish thing for twisting knobs.....!!!!!!!!!
    What is that Romic doing on there? I your DHX Air being serviced?
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Living the Dream

Isn't the AM SL a pound more than the Pike 454?

I might be wrong, but I thought the AM1 SL was like 5 lbs.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    I might be wrong, but I thought the AM1 SL was like 5 lbs.
    You must have the 4lb Fox TALAS or Vanilla confused with the Pike. Pike coil u-turn is 5.1lbs; u-turn air is 4.8lbs.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

No, that's not phonetic
    Our Pike Dual Airs with maxles are like 4.3#

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Our Pike Dual Airs with maxles are like 4.3#
    Thanks TS, I forgot about that model.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    My favorite fork I've ran on the Spot was an 04 Z1 FR, 130mm, quick release. I later got 20mm lowers and an AM1 and I noticed very little in terms of stiffness gain. My primary reason for doing the swap was the fact that I was running a 210mm rotor and was a bit nervous with that and a QR.

I ran a dual air PIKE for several months and had several problems which made me eventually get rid of it. Namely, I would lose anywhere between 10 and 20mm of travel on a given ride due to air passing between positive and negative chambers (I've rebuilt the fork several times, playing with oil weights in the chambers, to prevent that with no luck). The compression knob would never stay in place (possibly fixed with the aluminum knobs. It is worth mentioning that this was an 06 pike, but I took the MOCO damper from my 05 to get rid of pop lock). Finally, each time I would flip the bike upside down, oil would drip out through the floodgate.

On the positive note, maxle is great, the travel felt good, damping felt good. I put the PIKE on after my ZAM1 and I liked the sportier handling. At first. The handling would get overly sporty, though, during rides, as I would be losing travel. I ran the PIKE at 135mm. When I gave up on the PIKE and put my ZAM1 back on, it felt much better. I definitely like slack bikes. It was also 100% worry free, super solid, even with gouged up stanchions, no oil leaks, nothing.

Finally, you may also want to consider a 66SL, since you're planning on moving up to a RFX in the near future. It is shorter A2C than a Z1 and even more so than the curren AM1. Damping is superior to the AM1 and the HSCV Z1. You can run it at 130mm of travel and have an ultra stiff front end. And when the time comes, the upgrade will be less expensive and you'll have a very nicely broke in fork.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Time flies...
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_

Finally, you may also want to consider a 66SL, since you're planning on moving up to a RFX in the near future. It is shorter A2C than a Z1 and even more so than the curren AM1. Damping is superior to the AM1 and the HSCV Z1. You can run it at 130mm of travel and have an ultra stiff front end. And when the time comes, the upgrade will be less expensive and you'll have a very nicely broke in fork.

_MK
    Now that's an interesting thought! I really like the looks of those and seem to hear really good reviews of them.
    However, wouldn't that add close to 2 pounds to the Spot? Would it be that noticable?
    The new ones adjust from 140 to 180mm iirc... hmmmmm...

What do you guys think??

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    Now that's an interesting thought! I really like the looks of those and seem to hear really good reviews of them.
    However, wouldn't that add close to 2 pounds to the Spot? Would it be that noticable?
    The new ones adjust from 140 to 180mm iirc... hmmmmm...

What do you guys think??
    That would be good if it came with an RFX frame.

Seriously, I think it'll be too tall for the Spot. IIRC, the '06 66SL weighs around 5.4 lbs

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    That would be good if it came with an RFX frame.

Seriously, I think it'll be too tall for the Spot. IIRC, the '06 66SL weighs around 5.4 lbs
    66 set to 130mm is 3mm shorter axle to crown than a PIKE at 140mm

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Time flies...

Idea! Pike me....

I've been doing a lot of searches and reading. The Zokes are very sexy, but I've decided a Pike makes the most sense to me.
    So many people 'love' zokes, after long break-in periods and endless oil changes and tunings and warrenty repairs...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=241857

The Pikes are not perfect either, but have a history of being simple and solid performers, with quite a following of thier own. And seem to be a great match for the Spot.
    I'm very happy (so far) with the Reba on my Flux (great match as well), so the Pike should be like big brother...

Larry's scouting one out for me, to be followed up w/ a set of I9's...pix will be posted once built.

"...I hate bloody pikeys..." - Snatch

*guess I better take that quote out of my signature...

DGC
    mtbr member

yes

Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    What is that Romic doing on there? I your DHX Air being serviced?
    Both of my DHX airs are being serviced, so I am trying to get used to the Romic again.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0