Making fat cool since '71

This ought to do it...

I just brought home my spankin' new 5-Pack (I'm sure I don't have to explain that to you)! There was just enough light left to let me shake it down for a few on some twisty, steep, slicker than hell singletrack today and the bike did just fine (me on the other hand...). After riding Hecklers for (almost) 8 years it is definately not your fathers Santa Cruz (steering response is different of course). I'm going to have to play with the shock some more I think, but all in all it's a nice bike and will serve me well. Too bad I don't have the skills or fitness to do it justice. I guess that makes me par for the course with the other posers here (luckily I am not a snob, an a-hole, maybe...).

How much sag are other spot/pack owners running, 1/4, 1/3? I ran about a third on my last Heckler. Hopefully I can avoid this whole stuck-down thing. The bike weighed-in at 33 pounds. Not too bad for an XL with clyde worthy bits I guess. I can already tell you (even not being properly set-in yet) I prefer the Juicies over the XT 756's I had. I may get to a point where I put candy pedals on instead of the mallets, who knows, who cares at this point. Can't wait to ride tomorrow.

Kraig...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    How much sag are other spot/pack owners running, 1/4, 1/3?
    I run somewhere between 33% and 40% on my pack.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

White Spots rule!

Is there a story behind the the yellow and blue grips?

C

Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic
    Is there a story behind the the yellow and blue grips?

C
    Nothing exciting really. They were just left over from another bike (which is blue & yellow) and they annoyed one of the guys helping me build it, so I couldn't pass up that chance...
    They are gone now (replaced with lock-ons since we have plenty of water to deal with right at the moment) after two rides...

FWIW: So far, I've run it at 33% sag and it handled just fine on the dh stuff, but I gotta be honest that it didn't feel like it was climbing as "quickly" as my SC yesterday (on semi-long/grinding type ascents). My hope is as I figure out the "correct" shock settings for me (which could be a challenge) things will get quicker/smoother. The whole "boost valve" and platform relationship is interesting.

Kraig...

Full Monty Bike Bore
    Nov 2004
    White on white looks so cool.

Now go get her dirty !
    Knobblies MTBing Blog

"Always carry a flagon of whisky in case of a snakebite, furthermore, always carry a snake" W.C.Fields

Team Sanchez
    I gotta be honest with you....I went from an XL Heckler to an XL 6 pack, and I still think my Heckler was a better climber all around. Now when it comes to descending, the pack blows the Heckler away.

Living the Dream

Weird, I think my bullit was an amazing climber.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I gotta be honest with you....I went from an XL Heckler to an XL 6 pack, and I still think my Heckler was a better climber all around. Now when it comes to descending, the pack blows the Heckler away.
    For seated climbing, my bullit with a Z1 was an amazing climber. Guess I like a less active bike for climbing. Same opinion as you on descents.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

I'm right there with you guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    For seated climbing, my bullit with a Z1 was an amazing climber. Guess I like a less active bike for climbing. Same opinion as you on descents.
    I'm a horrible climber anyway so whatever, but I'm sure I'll get used to the Turner. Prior to this the only full squish bike I have more than a few rides on has been a Heckler ('98 & '03). They were not much, but they could climb a little bit (and take a beating).

It seems like 30%-35% is pretty much the norm on these things (?).

Thanks folks.

Kraig...

Giant Robot

I'd have to disagree on the Heckler vs. Pack climbing comparison

Despite the slight increase in travel and the fact that I have it set up super plush (with little propedal), I've definitely noticed my 6 Pack to be the better technical climber. I think I've made it up Devil's Backbone at Noble Canyon everytime since I got the Pack, whereas I made it only once with the Heckler (out of probably 10-12 rides there). Anecdotal evidence, I know, but the difference has been really notable. Both frames were mediums (sizing pretty similar) and both were run with Fox DHX coils...

Hey...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Thunder
    Despite the slight increase in travel and the fact that I have it set up super plush (with little propedal), I've definitely noticed my 6 Pack to be the better technical climber. I think I've made it up Devil's Backbone at Noble Canyon everytime since I got the Pack, whereas I made it only once with the Heckler (out of probably 10-12 rides there). Anecdotal evidence, I know, but the difference has been really notable. Both frames were mediums (sizing pretty similar) and both were run with Fox DHX coils...

Is that the same 'backbone outside Loveland? I rode that for the first time this last fall on vacation. I lived in CO for something like 13 or 15 years and never went on that. It was pretty fun (the far out loops were anyway). The stuff near the lot was boring, but the loops had some very fun stuff. Take care.

Kraig...

Giant Robot

I've been told there's lots of sections of trail named "Devil's Backbone"

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Is that the same 'backbone outside Loveland? I rode that for the first time this last fall on vacation. I lived in CO for something like 13 or 15 years and never went on that. It was pretty fun (the far out loops were anyway). The stuff near the lot was boring, but the loops had some very fun stuff. Take care.

Kraig...

The one I was referring to in this case is in Socal, east of San Diego on the venerable Noble Canyon Trail. I'm sure the one you speak of in CO is plenty fun as well, though I can't say so from personal experience.

Members who have read this thread: 0