OT: Winter tyres- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

OT: Winter tyres

It's that time of year again... dry trails are a distant memory and the off-camber roots that I have been riding with impunity all summer now send me on a slippery detour no matter what line I try.

Time to take the high rollers (2.35 xc) off and try something else. The question is, whether to go big or small? I've not ridden anything less than a 2.2 for many years, but feel a curious desire to try a mud specific 1.9 after hauling about 5lbs of wet clay round my last ride - the high rollers may have great grip in the dry, but they aren't the lightest in the first place and weigh a ton when filled with mud. The side knobbles seem to slide across the surface of the clay without really biting, so showing any kind of commitment in corners is really interesting.

So, Homer recommendations for good wet condition tyres please. Riding conditions are rooty off-camber singletrack on rich red clay, with a good covering of decomposing leaves for good measure. Oh, and lots of loose rocks (baseball size flints) on the climbs, which just roll from under your back wheel when you do find some grip to get the power down .

what...?
    I'm a new homer myself, but have been doing plently of winter riding in almost the same conditions as you, but not so much of the red clay. what's worked for me has been Schwalbe Fat alberts 2.35 Soft Front tires (both F & R) and aired down to 25psi. They seem to-for me at least- stick to everything our trails can throw at me and they give me lots of confidence to keep on going.
    I'm sure you'll get a wide range of opinions from the more knowledgeable Homers on the forum.
    Lots 'o luck!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    not sure if this is gonna help much. ya may be better off listinin to the uk guys. i run and have run pannaracer fire mud pros. its a tiny little tire with deep, square, hard and widely spaced lugs. i find them most excellent for cuttin through the slop and hittin the hardpack below. also a supurbe snow tire in up to 6" of powder even on top of hard packed snow and ice. great edging tire too and seems to stay quite clean.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    K2 Apache Outlaw!

I've also had reasonable luck with the Panny Fire FR 2.4. Big, widely spaced knobs that shed mud well, though I tend to stay away from the really muddy days.

Tscheezy's AK mud and snow experience probably trumps almost everybody else's on this forum, so await his post with trembling, eager anticipation!
    Whining is not a strategy.

outclassed by his bike

Weirwolf / Survival Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2trax
    It's that time of year again... dry trails are a distant memory and the off-camber roots that I have been riding with impunity all summer now send me on a slippery detour no matter what line I try.
    Friend, you speak to my condition! (Maine, USA. Same story.) The short answer, of course, is that wet roots are a heck of a lot slipperier than dry roots. No tire changes this sad truth. I'm no Shiggy when it comes to tire experience, but I thought the Conti Survival Pro 2.1 was good as a rear tire in the mud, rocks, and leaves. Adequate in the wet roots dep't. This is a very small 2.1. I liked the WTB Weirwolf in front on my Burner - very reliable but not the greatest in the mud-shedding department.

Right now I have Nevegal Stick-E 2.1s on both ends. Mounting the rear tire "backwards" is a must. After a rush of heavy praise for a few months, these tires recently have suffered an equally heavy rush of disparagement on this board. I have had none of the problems others have reported with torn knobs, rubber peeling off the carcass, etc. (Our conditons are not particularly hard on tires, just on riders.) Grip is excellent overall, though I agree with Tscheezy's recent comment that the "sticky" nature disappears where mossy or muddy stuff overlies a hard substrate (e.g., roots on a sloppy day). In plain mud they are fine, though not as good as the Survival Pros, which are a more special-purpose tire IMO.

I've heard that the Panaracer Trail Raker is popular in the UK. Have you tried that one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The trail raker is popular in the UK. Its good in mud, ok on intermediate loose stuff but its no better than any other tyre on wet limestone and roots. Bonty mud X is getting some good winter feedback over on our little island too.

Most winter tyre selection is down to the specific mud types and rock/root permutations you ride in IMO.

mtbr member
    OK, so we have two votes for the panaracer fire mud tyres, one for conti Survival Pros, one for trail rakers, a nod towards bonty mud x's and one for a kick-ass pair of backcountry skis. I like the look of the skis.

Are the fire muds ridable on tarmac? I've been put of the maxxis medusa by reports that it is nearly unridable on the road, and I have to ride a few miles of black top to get to the trails. Still, if I have to compromise on something, it will be the road performance.
    Last edited by 2trax; 10-17-2006 at 12:08 PM.

jrm
    mtbr member

2.3 kenda blue groove/nev..

works here in nor. cal..

mtbr member
    let's go for one more contender:

Spesh Team control up front.
    Hell of a tire in all kinds of mud.

gonna try the team master on the rear some time soon.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    That spesh tc certainly looks like it has big knobs

mtbr member
    May 2006

Medusa vs. other models

I think of the Medusa as more of a thick muck tire than just regular wet conditions. It will get through stuff that nothing else will, but it is strickly for those conditions. The lugs are tall and designed for one purpose.

If you prefer the larger volume, I would reccomend the ADvantage. The 2.1 is pretty beefy compared to other Maxxis models of the same size. The tread pattern works well in most conditions, and it rolls faster than it looks like it would. Also available in a 2.4.

The Ignitor works well in the wet also. The 2.35 isn't huge and there is a 2.1. A well-rounded tire that works well on the wet roots. The pentagonal tread will hook up to a wide variety of obstacles.

Members who have read this thread: 0