OT: Free Web Based Mapping Software- Mtbr.com
    outclassed by his bike

OT: Free Web Based Mapping Software

I want to do something that several sites seem to promise to make easy, but then don't. I want to import several GPS tracks of rides onto an underlying map, and save the map for public access in a way that shows all the tracks simultaneously. (I have a particular need to illustrate how three neighboring but unconnected sets of trail relate to each other.) At first blush it would appear that the Google "My Maps" feature and sites like "Map My Ride" allow this easily. However, I have been struggling for two whole nights - one with each of these sites - and I can't make it work.

I won't go into lots of detail, but basically the Google version only lets you put a couple of features on before it starts putting additional ones on a second virtual page of annotations, so that you can't see features (tracks, markers) that it put on page two without paging off the features on page one (even if they're superimposed on each other location-wise and require no panning). Map My Ride is just totally lame and doesn't seem to allow you to edit multiple imported tracks in any usable way, and also seems to insist on connecting everything into round-trip loops even when you explicitly tell it not to do that.

So... anyone have any tips on better public software for sharing ride routes as described above?

Thanks in advance.

- q

Lay off the Levers
    What GPS do you have? I have a Garmin and I seem to be able to plot all my tracks at once using the pack-in software Mapsource.

Also maybe have a look at trailguru.com. I've never tried multiple tracks there but it's worth a look to see if it does what you want.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    You can definitely do this with Mapsource, I do it all the time. You can get the software from the Garmin site and then probably get a free topo map from your area from www.gpsfiledepot.com

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    topofusion- I downloaded the topofusion demo at topofusion.com. I've been happy with it, been meaning to purchase the full version.Software was devloped by a mountain biker too. You can look at 3 history files from your gps files at the same time on various free maps you can download from the public servers out there (topo, landsat, aerial) with demo version. If you spend the money to buy the software you should be able to do the several you want to do.

outclassed by his bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    What GPS do you have? I have a Garmin and I seem to be able to plot all my tracks at once using the pack-in software Mapsource.

Also maybe have a look at trailguru.com. I've never tried multiple tracks there but it's worth a look to see if it does what you want.
    Hi Zilla (and others). Thanks for the ideas.

Some clarification here: I'm looking to share these maps on the web, a la Google Maps, etc. So local-install software programs are not what I'm looking for, except insofar as they might help me prep files for uploading.

I have a Garmin Vista - several years old. Yes, Mapsource will open multiple tracks, BUT strangely it seems to want to display multiple tracks simultaneously only when they are already on the device (via the Transfer | "Receive from Device" command). In my case, I have .gpx / .gdb files on disk (not on the GPS unit) that I want to display simultaneously - with an eye to exporting as a single .gpx file - but I can't figure out how to get it to open more than one. Conversely, in my DeLorme Topo program, I can import multiple tracks fine, but can't get it to export more than one into a single file.

I did try Trailguru. Same deal - no simultaneous multiple tracks. I think this would actually work if I could once get my multiple tracks into a single .gpx file, but Trailguru does not appear to let you create a single route from multiple track uploads.

Lay off the Levers
    To have multiple tracks in Mapsource, just
    -open one track gpx file or create a new one.
    -Save that file with a name.
    -Open another gpx file and click on the track you want, then right click it and select copy.
    -Reopen the other file where you want multiple tracks.
    -Right click and select paste in the track tab.

Repeat as necessary.

Then you can send it all to google maps.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

outclassed by his bike

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikezilla
    To have multiple tracks in Mapsource, just
    -open one track gpx file or create a new one.
    -Save that file with a name.
    -Open another gpx file and click on the track you want, then right click it and select copy.
    -Reopen the other file where you want multiple tracks.
    -Right click and select paste in the track tab.

Repeat as necessary.

Then you can send it all to google maps.

Zilla, excellent idea for copy-and-paste with Mapsource. Worked like a charm. Sheesh. You'd never guess I was a software developer by trade.

I still could not get Google Maps OR Trailguru OR MapMyRide to do what I wanted. However, Microsoft's Bing thing - which was new to me - worked perfectly. So ... mission accomplished, thanks to you. :-)

Members who have read this thread: 0