Dishwasher Safe

OT - Are any of you homers web designers???

I'm trying to build a site and wouldn't mind picking a brain... If any of you are well versed in Flash & or HTML, shoot me a PM.

This is what I've put together so far: http://robertsandersonphotography.com

TIA!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Keep working on that site, deadbolt. I keep clicking on your different pic categories and get squat. Web peeps, give this guy a hand!
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

Dishwasher Safe
    I managed to put together a site over the weekend. I still need to add some stuff but it's pretty close.

I'd really be interested in hearing about any problems viewing it. If it doesn't look right let me know what browser and screen resolution you're using.

Thanks,

Robert

www.robertsandersonphotography.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbolt
    I managed to put together a site over the weekend. I still need to add some stuff but it's pretty close.

I'd really be interested in hearing about any problems viewing it. If it doesn't look right let me know what browser and screen resolution you're using.

Thanks,

Robert

www.robertsandersonphotography.com
    deadbolt, I don't think I'm worthy to check out your fine photography...but I did. Your slide show on your Home page went smoothly with a mixture of all your stuff. When I left clicked on each of your topics they all came up and I left clicked on each pic to check them out. I don't know if all I saw was what you expect we should see but it seemed to be working just fine.

Oh yeah, Firefox on a 19" Dell LCD at 1152 x 864.

Dishwasher Safe
    When you say 'left click' do you mean a single click? That's the way it's suppose to work. Each thumbnail on the home page links to a gallery page.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    When you say 'left click' do you mean a single click? That's the way it's suppose to work. Each thumbnail on the home page links to a gallery page.
    One left click.

banned
    Sep 2005
    Amazing!

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Flash can be nifty and all, but as it stands now your entire site could be done in HTML with exactly the same functionality and image transitions in your slideshows. It might be much easier for you to manage behind the scenes.

Or pick up Slideshow Pro, customize it and embed it in your current design, it can pull images directly from a Flickr feed and is actually quite a bit more sophisticated than your current viewer... what could be simpler?

My two cents. Your landscape work is beautiful.

JMH

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It would be nice to not have to scroll down to the bottom to click on each new thumbnail to bring up a new picture. A scrolling option by hitting an arrow on the side or clicking the picture itself to skip to the next one would be nice.

and the landscape photography is amazing.

Dishwasher Safe
    JMH - My intention with the Flash was primarily to have scrolling thumbnails on mouseover. However, I'd really like to be able to anchor the footer to the bottom of the screen, utilize the full width of the screen, and have the contents scale if the browser size is changed (no scrolling in either axis). I found a site that does exactly what I want to do, but it's a Flash site.

This is the site. It uses too much Flash for my liking, but if you let that page fully load to the building, you'll see how it scales if you shrink or expand your browser; pretty nifty!!! If that can be done with HTML (or some java script) I'm all ears!

William - Thanks for the input. I absolutely agree about the scrolling. I'm pretty sure there's a way to check the viewers resolution settings and scale the page accordingly (JMH???) I just don't know how to do it yet. I am working on that issue though.

Glad you liked the pics!

Bandolero

Lost Control, Lost Control, Lost Control....

JMH - My intention with the Flash was primarily to have scrolling thumbnails on mouseover. However, I'd really like to be able to anchor the footer to the bottom of the screen, utilize the full width of the screen, and have the contents scale if the browser size is changed (no scrolling in either axis). I found a site that does exactly what I want to do, but it's a Flash site.
    I'm a Luddite. I don't really like flash. I like to control my web browser, so I use FF and NoScript. There's been so many hacks with third-party plugins that I disable everything and allow scripts by exception. Adobe has had problems with flash vulnerabilities and has a current in-the-wild vulnerability with Acrobat and JavaScript. But there's no way to do what you want without Flash.

Try JAlbum with the Chameleon skin. Or if you want Flash, check out some of the other skins they have.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

AW_
    locked - time out

This is the site. It uses too much Flash for my liking, but if you let that page fully load to the building, you'll see how it scales if you shrink or expand your browser; pretty nifty!!! If that can be done with HTML (or some java script) I'm all ears!
    The example site you showed ^^^ in flash.. most of what I saw there (the core functionality, expand, shrink, etc) could be done in HTML/CSS/Javascript. Scriptaculous is pretty nice. But it is easy to go overboard with these JS libraries, same as Flash.

If you know Flash... it might be worth checking out the Airtight viewers... I bought their source a while back and just tweaked it for the project, saved a ton of time...

Also the Highslide library is pretty slick and easy to implement, if you prefer JS over Flash...

Dishwasher Safe
    notaknob (or anyone) - Isn't there a way (java script) to detect the viewers screen resolution and scale to fit?

BTW, I have a 22" monitor set to 1680 x 1050 and it looks great. Everything fits with no scrolling. I set my monitor to 1024 x 768 and I see it's pretty bad (not user friendly). I'm going to re-up a smaller page in the meantime...

_AW - Thanks. I check that stuff out.

AW_
    locked - time out
    notaknob (or anyone) - Isn't there a way (java script) to detect the viewers screen resolution and scale to fit?
    Yes, but you need to use different methods for different browsers. I would recommend checking out prototype if you want to save some time.

http://www.prototypejs.org/api/document/viewport

Dishwasher Safe
    Quote Originally Posted by AW_
    Yes, but you need to use different methods for different browsers. I would recommend checking out prototype if you want to save some time.

http://www.prototypejs.org/api/document/viewport

Thanks. In the meantime I'm going build a low-res site and have links to both on a new homepage. That should suffice while I research this.

banned

pics too big

for my monitor.. Edit: 1024x768 resolution here.... (not 800x600),

I designed my site to fit a 15" monitor, which many people still have, be it desktop or laptop.... I also view it on my 21" monitor to see scale.

http://www.f45.com

there are so many ways to convey photos online, you may want to check out many other photographers sites to see how they handled image management.
    Last edited by oakhills; 03-10-2009 at 11:34 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    for my monitor.. 800x600 resolution here....

I designed my site to fit a 15" monitor, which many people still have, be it desktop or laptop....
    You might want to actually check your assumptions vs. real data before posting:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

http://www.utexas.edu/teamweb/report...og=Dec2005.log (three year old data)

http://www.noamdesign.com/Web-Design...on-statistics/ (year old data)

banned

there's also...

the iPhone....

Members who have read this thread: 0